4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tools to remove diesel injectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Engine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12    Post subject: Tools to remove diesel injectors Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if I need any "special" tools to remove Denso diesel injectors (from my 1KZTE)?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aroscow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have though s slide hammer would be ideal
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took out my injectors I used a spark plug socket. After taking off the pipes, unions, etc  aplug soket goes straight over and locates on the hex and then just undo with a rachet. Watch for any crud falling into the cylinder and make sure you get the sealing ring out with the injector. When you put them back in, srew them in by hand as far as you can to avoid cross threading them. Finish off with a torque wrench to prevent stripping the threads

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
fridayman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Will one of those flexi plug spanners do the job, or will I need a plug socket?
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a socket and ratchet with a 4 inch extension bar. This gives you more room to pull squarely on the ratchet. From memory the socket was a 14mm plug socket. Just take out the rubber grip for the spark plug fitted inside the socket and away you go. Crack the injector and then finish unscrewing by hand. Just before the injector releases from the thread, blow any muck away out of the recess and remove. I used a bit of rubber tube to reach the rear injectors to blow out the holes.  HTH

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
fridayman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildmutt wrote:
I used a socket and ratchet with a 4 inch extension bar. This gives you more room to pull squarely on the ratchet. From memory the socket was a 14mm plug socket. Just take out the rubber grip for the spark plug fitted inside the socket and away you go. Crack the injector and then finish unscrewing by hand. Just before the injector releases from the thread, blow any muck away out of the recess and remove. I used a bit of rubber tube to reach the rear injectors to blow out the holes.  HTH

Thanks, this is great. Mine are coming out on Sunday and being tested on Monday.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 17:06    Post subject: Not Cross Threading Spark Plugs and Injectors Reply with quote

This will sound a bit stupid till you try it.

Put a reasonable clean spark plug or injector back in its hole in the cylinder head with a deep socket on an extension rod and turn it the wrong way by hand. If the plug is correctly aligned you will feel it 'click' as the ends of two threads slide past the end of each other. If the plug is not correctly aligned, you won't.

So once you can feel this click, change the direction of rotation so that the two threads interlock correctly (i.e. not cross threaded). It helps if there is a bit of grease on the clean threads. I like graphited grease for this but it is difficult to find. Coppa Slip is ok or just ordinary grease if nothing else is available.

I have found this trick works and is a good insurance against damaging the cylinder head, particularly on alloy heads where the spark plugs have to come out every 6 months or so.

Willy
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 20:52    Post subject: Re: Not Cross Threading Spark Plugs and Injectors Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:
Put a reasonable clean spark plug or injector back in its hole in the cylinder head with a deep socket on an extension rod and turn it the wrong way by hand. If the plug is correctly aligned you will feel it 'click' as the ends of two threads slide past the end of each other. If the plug is not correctly aligned, you won't.

Just like my dad taught me Smile
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

For others wanting to remove their injectors from a 1KZTE (3.0TD) - you will need a 21mm deep socket, but not a Halfords socket (their inside diameter is not big enough to fit over the 19mm part of the injector). I found a deep socket set that had a 21mm that fits at Screwfix (at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon) - £18 for a chrome vanadium set of 6. Do not be tempted to try and undo the 19mm bit of the injector in the engine bay - I did and opened the injector up, losing some injector internals into the engine abyss (these bits can be ordered, but it just slows the whole service down).

To do the entire job I have used / will still use:
10, 12, 14, 17mm ratchet spanners
cross head screw driver (to get air intake tube off)
Large jaw pliers (to move turbo hose clip)
21mm deep socket
ratchet
extension bar
breaker bar
torque wrench (to put the injectors back)

I do not appear to need a slide hammer (as I think is the case on an 80).
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torque setting for the 1KZ-T engine injectors is 47 ft-lbf.

I assume it is the same for the E version.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: