Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

newbie and questions.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 20:16    Post subject: newbie and questions..... Reply with quote

Hello all, having spent a fair bit of my life wearing 'green tinted oval glasses' I came to my senses early on last year and bought a Surf. A great car but not entirely what I want out of my 4x4.

I want a swb off roader with a decent engine, something last looks even better with a few dents 'n' scratches......... and so I'm looking at a swb Land Cruiser.

My questions are, the VX LC 2 with the 3.0ltr engine, did this have air con?
There's a lot of Prado's coming from japan but they're all lwb, do they still do a swb?

That's it for now, but help me before I'm forced to go out and buy a swb Pajero!

Damian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 20:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen a Japanese import that didnt have aircon,although it will usually have to be regassed when it arrives at its destination.

I think they were still making a 2 door prado at least in 2001

You need to identify the model as in KZJ90 or LJ7O which were SWB and LJ73 MWB

KZJ95 LJ78 are LWB 4 dr

The KZ and L are for the type of diesel,Rand F is for petrol.
The J is for landcruiser or Jeep as the 1st LC was called until they got in trouble.

The numbers at the end indicate the body shape .
The 1st number represents the general ancestry of the vehicle as in 40,50 60,70,80 ,90 100,120 and 130 (release2007)series.
The second number gives a clue as to whether it is SWB,MWB,LWB.
Only the 4#,7# and 9# series have a choice of 2 or 4 door.

Of course there are exceptions,on a BJ74,the 4 represents turbo and on a HZJ74 it means front coil springs Confused .

My advice is get a MWB landcruiser as they are not that much longer but have plenty of room for stuff you take on a long weekend with no loss of off road capability.
A HZJ73 would be my choice,it has the 1HZ 6 cyl diesel motor found in 80series Amazon and 5 speed H55f and full floater diffs without the weight and made from 89 onwards.
I have FJ73 which is a petrol version and I love it except for the fuel consumption of 17 mpg.

More info on models ect here
http://www.birfield.com/modules.php?name=Search
damian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr... thankyou, my head is mushed now with facts and figures! Thankyou again!
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

damian wrote:
Errrr... thankyou, my head is mushed now with facts and figures! Thankyou again!

I thought it might mush your head a little but once you understand the variations between models the easier it will be to spot the bargains Idea .

If you want me to explain anything ask away. Very Happy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be very very very lucky if you can get an HZJ73, rarer than hens teeth and very good motors. I've had a good look around and the UK spec 7X series (Landcruiser II) doesn't seem to have A/C even in 3.0 form with the 1KZT engine.

Also haven't seen any SWB imports, all seem to be LWB however they have the A/C.

Good luck in the search.

Cheers
Andy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky wrote:
You will be very very very lucky if you can get an HZJ73, rarer than hens teeth and very good motors. I've had a good look around and the UK spec 7X series (Landcruiser II) doesn't seem to have A/C even in 3.0 form with the 1KZT engine.

Also haven't seen any SWB imports, all seem to be LWB however they have the A/C.

Good luck in the search.

Cheers
Andy

Ah yes,maybe I was getting his hopes up about a HZJ73 Embarassed but its good to aim for the top Very Happy

I believe they will soon be available in oz this year under the 15 year rule.
They began production in oct 89

Andy did you mean you havent seen ANY swb at all or do you mean the later models only?
I thought the LJ70 was a popular import to the UK.
I think those later model 90 series 2 door were mainly sold in the ME and South America
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any import ones in SWB (ones that have A/C). There are plenty of UK ones but they don't have A/C. I think A/C on the small landcruiser came in with the 9X series Prado and Colorado.

Cheers
Andy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the 7# series had AC as an option from 85 onwards but I suppose most UK customers would baulk at paying the extra for an option that hardly gets used. Crying or Very sad
AC become standard in 7# series in oz about 95,probably when the govt mandated that all govt workers have aircon in or outside the office:D
Your right about the 90 series as AC was standard.

Which Landcruisers were sold through Toyota dealers in the UK?
Could you get 6# series and heavy duty 7# series if you wanted them?
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the 60 and 61 were sold here, the heavy duty 7X wasn't, only the light duty with the IFS and 2.4 or 3.0 engines.

Before that I think that all LCs were special import. I remember when I worked in a garage back in the late 70s we used to service a LHD 55 series which was one heck of a beast - No metallic army green paint, ger stick about 3 foot long and the big 6 Cylinder Petrol (FJ55). It was awseome although I have to say that the 55 series Station Wagon was probably the ugliest LC I have ever seen.

Cheers
Andy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky wrote:
Pretty sure the 60 and 61 were sold here, the heavy duty 7X wasn't, only the light duty with the IFS and 2.4 or 3.0 engines.

Before that I think that all LCs were special import. I remember when I worked in a garage back in the late 70s we used to service a LHD 55 series which was one heck of a beast - No metallic army green paint, ger stick about 3 foot long and the big 6 Cylinder Petrol (FJ55). It was awseome although I have to say that the 55 series Station Wagon was probably the ugliest LC I have ever seen.

Cheers
Andy

What! no 80 series Shocked ?

My old high school had a 55series,education dept issue Shocked .
Cream and grey with a black interior.
It was the only 55 Ive ever seen with factory side facing troopy seats in the rear cargo area.The front seats held 3 so it gave a capacity of 10 passengers.
Our school used it for towing our kayaks around or collecting and studying the local fauna and flora.
I was like you,I thought it was the ugliest pile of *beep* but was amazed at its offroad ability and instilled a fascination in 4wds ever since.
We had this really cool teacher who enjoyed driving the cruiser so on wet and stormy days ,he would take down the swamp and make us clean it when we got back during school time 8)
I still think they re f%$#ing ugly though:D
I seem to remember we had a choice of the landcruiser or another drama or music teacher Rolling Eyes .
Thank god for common sense in the public service 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: