Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vx auto box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpa42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 17:12    Post subject: Vx auto box Reply with quote

I HAVE A 2000 X REG VX 4.2 TD JUST RECENTLY WHEN I STOP AT JUNCTIONS ETC THE GEARBOX SEEMS TO STAY IN 3RD GEAR IT WILL SELECT 1ST IF I GIVE IT A LITTLE REV ANY SUGGESTIONS AS ITS ONLY DONE 60,000 MILES MANY THANKS
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 17:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

k1elliott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the transmission oil m8.
get the diffs and the transfer box oils done too while you are at it.
Ben 77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate.I had the same problem on my 96 Renault Espace Embarassed It was also stuck in third.The garage changed the gear box potentiometer which cost a few quid but charged a fortune and also the gearbox oil.No probs since Very Happy

Good luck.

Ben
JohnNash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4.2 Amazon also. The gearboxes on these models are totally electronically controlled. The gear changing is done by solenoid operated valves in the transmission valve chest. The solenoid operated valves take their instructions from the ECU (electronic control unit). The ECU reads information from a digital transducer measuring the input shaft speed (engine RPM) at the front of the gearbox, a digital transducer measuring road speed from the back of the gearbox and the TPS (throttle position switch) under the dash connected to the throttle. There is also a temperature sensor in the transmission that will throw up a warning light if the transmission exceeds 120 (I think) degrees C. The TPS is split into 8 segments and each one gives a different voltage output into the ECU. So, as you press the throttle the ECU sees this, measures the engine speed and road speed and decides which gear to select. As you come to a hill you will depress the throttle more, which will be read by the TPS. This in turn will be read by the ECU, which will decide that you need a different gear for the amount of throttle, the speed of the engine and the road speed. The selection thought process done by the ECU is a result of the 'mapping', which is set by the factory. This is baseline data that you cannot change. With your third gear problem I would suggest that you do as much as you can yourself, such as changing the oil (good clean oil is critical in these transmissions) and then you are in the hands of the dealer. He will have a hand held meter that can measure the TPS output and he can tell you if the TPS faulty. Beyond that your dealer may run out of expertise. Drop me an email if you are stuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: