Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Overdrive Transmissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscobbc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 23:33    Post subject: Overdrive Transmissions Reply with quote

Looking for information (or possibly sourcing) a Hone 'add-on' overdrive unit for the FJ40. It seems that on some of the USA spec' car Hone'O'Drive units may have been available as an option - if so, was this an OEM or dealer fit option? - it was sometime used as an aftermarket option on Yank cars and RV's or trucks - any thoughts fellas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 23:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rodger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hone O'Drive????!!!... I think that some Chevy dealers sold them and maybe the occasional Shelby dealer but they seem, when they come up, to fetch big $$$s - $1500+ and that's in the States.
Never heard of one over here but, of course, they maybe... But...

They went behind the gearbox take-off and that meant a modified propshaft but on a LC or any 4x4 wouldn't you need some system whereby it's locked out if your in 4wd?

Don't think it was a factory or dealer option from Mr T but I could be wrong.

Regards,
roscobbc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodger wrote:
Hone O'Drive????!!!... I think that some Chevy dealers sold them and maybe the occasional Shelby dealer but they seem, when they come up, to fetch big $$$s - $1500+ and that's in the States.
Never heard of one over here but, of course, they maybe... But...

They went behind the gearbox take-off and that meant a modified propshaft but on a LC or any 4x4 wouldn't you need some system whereby it's locked out if your in 4wd?

Don't think it was a factory or dealer option from Mr T but I could be wrong.

Regards,

Thanks for that - I knew they got good money in the 'States (when they come-up for sale, that is!) - just wondered if they were 'around' over here - modern interpretation I guess is the Gearvendors unit, but again a fairly expensive bit of kit!
Teknys

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairey used to supply overdrives I had one on my Land Cruiser HJ60 great for towing giving 8 forward speeds
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could get a H55F 5 sp gearbox from an FJ60,5th is overdrive.  The diesel BJ42 had a 5sp in some countries.
The FJ60 gearbox and t/case is longer so you have to shorten the rear driveshaft and lengthen the front,or maybe you can swap them around.
You also have to make a new crossmember for the gearbox.
If your current set up has the handbrake on the rear of the t/case,then you need a later rear axle with handbrake on the rear wheels.
I havent done it but Im sure someone on MUD would know
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: