All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My 90 series OME 882 / 892 suspension lift installation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueRock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 16:51    Post subject: My 90 series OME 882 / 892 suspension lift installation Reply with quote

My OME springs are installed now.  Here are the technical details:

Front springs:  OME 882
Front shocks:  OME N91S
Rear springs:  OME 892X
Rear shocks:  OME N86

Suspension height before lift (stock):

Front (left / right / avg):   753  748  750 mm
Rear (left / right / avg):   750  740  745 mm

Suspension height after lift:

Front (left / right / avg):   824  820  822 mm
Rear (left / right / avg):   820  809  814 mm

Net amount of suspension lift:

Front (left / right / avg):   71  73  72 mm
Rear (left / right / avg):    70  69  70 mm

All numbers are the average of two measurements, with the vehicle in opposite orientations, on the flattest surface I could find.  Vehicle is stock, empty, with full tank of fuel, towbar, 3rd row seats installed, and tyres at 29 psi.  This is a 2001 90 series Colorado GX, with the 3.0 D-4D engine.  Measurements are from bottom of rim through centre up to edge of wheel arch.  I would guess accuracy is something like +/- 2 mm.

The front is a bit higher than I expected.  I had assumed that the 3.0 D-4D engine was something like 90 kg heavier than the regular 3.0 TD.  But, the above numbers put this assumption into question.  I was particularly alarmed after my first measurement, with only the front installed:

Front only (left / right / avg):  834 828 831 mm  (single measurement only)

But, the front came down a bit when the rear was lifted.  And, after doing some calculations, I think the front will probably be ok, once I install the winch.  Here are my back-of-the-envelope calculations:

CALCULATIONS

Lfb = Lever effect at front bumper = (268 + 80) / 268 = 1.30
Lsp = Lever effect at spring (lower A-arm) = 1.85
Rsp = Spring rate = 500 lbs / inch (according to OME)
Din = Displacement height at wheel (inches)
Flbs  = Force (net weight) at bumper (lbs)

After some scribbling, I came up with the formula...

Flbs = Din x (2 x Rsp) / (Lsp x Lsp x Lfb)

Which works out to...

Flbs = Din x 225

Converting to metric...

Dmm = Displacement at wheel (mm)
Fkg  = Force at bumper (kg equivalent)
Fkg = Dmm x 4.0

In simple English, every 4 kilograms added at the bumper will bring the front suspension down by 1 mm.

So, I need to add about 80 kg to bring it down to the 2 inch region.  Considering that the winch alone will weigh 40 kg, this sounds perfectly doable. Smile

The rear is a bit lower than I expected.  But, presumably that's easy to correct by adding a spacer.  Or, I can just remove the third row seats, and see what happens.  The spring rate of the 892 is a lot higher than the 891 (400 vs 210 lb/in), so it should be able to handle loads better.  The ARB folks said that the 892X had the same spring rate and characteristics as the 892.

Overall, the suspension feels a lot better than stock.  However, the alignment is way out, at the moment.

Here are the pics!

Before the suspension lift...

After suspension lift installed (OME 882 / 892X)...

Here are the CV joint angles.  Is this healthy?

QUESTIONS

1.  How important is it to bring the front down to the 2 inch mark?  If I'm a little bit over, is that ok?  I'm considering a hidden winch mount, which would be lighter than full-blown kangaroo armour.

2.  With the front nominally 21 mm too high, how much wear does that put on the CV joints?  I've been keeping my speed below 50 mph, for now, and haven't gone on the motorway yet.

3.  When should I get my front-end alignment done?  Should I wait until the winch is mounted?  And, if I decide to get rims with a slightly different offset, will that affect the alignment?  I'll be replacing my tyres too, at some point soon.

Cheers,
BlueRock

2001 Landcruiser 90 (Colorado) D-4D, now lifted!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 16:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

J66P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks the dogs danglies Cool  Cool  Cool

they do look a bit steep but they will settle so dont do anything drastic till you give it a week or 2

The issue you have is cocking a front wheel as you drive, you will get bounce and the chance of picking a wheel will increase

With regards to hidden winch mounts you wilol need something substantial to get 80kgs, the one I am selling weighs just under 20 and most winches are around the 20kg mark also
VW Amarok BiTdi
k-4

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

would think a winch would weigh more than 20 kg
with steel rope on
4runner

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted +50-100kg (882)front springs last year (OME as well)
and got about 90mm lift at front, this dropped to 70mm after fitting the winch and mount,

but i was getting a vibration at front end of vehicle underload and accelleration.
if i removed the front prop it went.
i tried a diff-drop kit, but issue peristed
i replaced prop UJ's

in the end i replaced the springs with the +50kg (881) ones to cure the driveline vibration!

some people seem to have no problems with the 882 springs, but i know another chap had similar problem to my landcruiser with stiff ironman springs

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
BlueRock

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

4runner wrote:
I fitted +50-100kg (882)front springs last year (OME as well)
and got about 90mm lift at front...

Interesting!

The key difference between our LC's is the engine.  Applying my formula above (without the Lfb term), the difference between your 90mm and my 72 mm translates to 55 kg, give or take.  This suggests the 3.0 D-4D engine is 55 kg heavier than the 3.0 TD engine, not the 90 kg I had originally estimated.   I guess that's why my front lift is higher than I expected!

I haven't spotted any vibrations yet, but I haven't taken it over 50 mph either and have kept a light foot.  Once I've mounted a winch, I'll give this a better test.  I might try the diff drop too, as that seems simple enough.  Although, there seems to be debate as to whether it actually does much.

BlueRock
J66P

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

k-4 wrote:
would think a winch would weigh more than 20 kg
with steel rope on

sorry wasnt thinking about the rope, mines got synthetic
VW Amarok BiTdi
BlueRock

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I re-measured the height after a week, to see if there was any sagging.  Guess what?  The front went up even higher!  Yikes!  How could that be?  The back is sagging a bit, but not by enough to raise the front 1.5 cm!  
What's going on?  Might this have something to do with excessive camber?

Front (left / right / avg):   839 / 835 / 837
Rear (left / right / avg):   812 / 810 / 811

The front has gone up an additional 15 mm.  Back is sagging by 3 mm.

I'm thinking of adding some spacers in the back, to lift that higher.  Maybe, that will bring the front down.

My winch mount arrived today.  It's 21 kg.  I'll put it on this weekend to see what happens.  Winch hasn't arrived yet.

BlueRock
J66P

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueRock wrote:

My winch mount arrived today.  It's 21 kg.  I'll put it on this weekend to see what happens.  Winch hasn't arrived yet.

BlueRock

Yep really surprised when I weighed it, its the first one on the scales thats been coated, just over a kilo for the coating Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Glad you got the mount safe and sound and in good time Very Happy
VW Amarok BiTdi
BlueRock

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueRock wrote:
So, I re-measured the height after a week, to see if there was any sagging.  Guess what?  The front went up even higher!  Yikes!  How could that be?

I figured out what happened...

It turns out that, in most of my measurements, I had backed the vehicle up before taking the measurement.  But, in the prior measurement, I had driven it forward.  Does that make a difference?  Quite a bit!  Something like 20 mm!  I suspect my poor alignment has something to do with it.

So, ignore that measurement.  Here is a new measurement, making sure I reverse, and this time with the winch mount installed (21 kg, no winch):

Front (left / right / avg):  809 / 811 / 810

So, the front has gone down by about 1 cm.  I'm figuring only about half of that is due to the winch mount.  The other half is probably from sagging.

At this rate, once the winch is installed I should be right on target!  Nevertheless, I've ordered the diff drop.

BlueRock
trooperman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get OME springs that don't add any lift , allready got OME shocks fitted , not a fan off lifted trucks , makes the wheels/tyres look tiny
J66P

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

but why would you want them  Confused  Confused
VW Amarok BiTdi
trooperman

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace a broken coil , and rather than use an OE pair upgrade to a full set of OME springs to go with the nitrocharger sport shocks
BlueRock

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winch didn't arrive, this weekend.  But, my diff drop kit arrived, all the way from the US.  So, I installed that.  Afterwards, drove it on the motorway, up to—what's the legal limit—ehm, 70 mph, yeah, that's right.

Generally, no problems.  However, there is some vibration between 50mph and 60mph under hard acceleration.   This is in 3rd gear (auto), although there is also very minor vibration in 4th gear (overdrive).  Vibration goes away above this speed or if I let off on the accelerator.

I'm assuming this is from the CV joints, and not the U joint on the input shaft, but I can't really tell.  I can hear it on the front, but I don't feel it in the steering wheel.

I'm hoping the vibration will go away once I install the winch.

One odd thing I noticed is that, once the drop bolts are installed, the input shaft casing on the differential presses against the thick foam gasket that sits between the automatic transmission and some kind of housing closer to the engine.  It doesn't press too hard, and the gasket is quite soft and spongy.  So, I don't think this will be a problem.  But, it did surprise me.  It might have something to do with it being a D-4D engine.

BlueRock
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:43    Post subject: Re: My 90 series OME 882 / 892 suspension lift installation Reply with quote

BlueRock wrote:

The front is a bit higher than I expected.  I had assumed that the 3.0 D-4D engine was something like 90 kg heavier than the regular 3.0 TD.  But, the above numbers put this assumption into question.  I was particularly alarmed after my first measurement, with only the front installed:

Hi,
When I got my lift done, on my 120, the rear end stuck way too much up in the air.
The front came up some thing like 60mm, and the rear a whopping 83mm
It was ugly.
I went back to WCC who simply swapped the rear springs for a less severe load carry capacity.
This brought the rear down great, to about 60mm lift, and the front came down some more to about 55mm.

The ride with the severe springs in the rear was bad, but when swapped out for the other springs, it rides great now.
A little firmer than the stock springs, but never the less, good ride.

I think the  D4-d engine is weighing less than the older 3.0L TD., just a feeling, thats all.

Vette
BlueRock

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lift is basically done.  Here are the final numbers:

Front (left / right / avg):  808 / 805 / 806
Rear (left / right / avg):  820 / 811 / 815

Net amount of lift:

Front (left / right / avg):  55 / 57 / 56
Rear (left / right / avg):  70 / 71 / 70

This is after the following weight changes:

+ 20 kg hidden winch mount
+ 31 kg winch / solenoid / fairlead
- 7 kg  inner bumper tube + other bits removed
+ 21 kg Optima batteries net: (27.5 kg – 17 kg) x 2

That adds up to 65 kg added to the front.  In the rear, I removed the 3rd row seats (35 kg).  So, overall 30 kg has been added to the weight of the vehicle.

And, here are the pics...

Note that I also added a diff drop to the front (Sonoran Steel) and slightly modified the skid plate.  The skid plate has been lowered in the middle by about 1 cm with spacers, to prevent it from touching the diff mounting bolts.

Here are the new CV angles:

BlueRock
- diff drop; diff breathers; dual Optima batteries w/ground cable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: