Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

maggiolina copy/ roof tent

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe lane

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 18:08    Post subject: maggiolina copy/ roof tent Reply with quote

hi all,

well just to put you in the picture, i am a proud owner of an autohome roof tent and have been recently looking at a moggiolina roof tent with regards to purchase,  

but they are not very cheap and seem to hold there price well,

so me and the brother in law are building our own,

we have all ready started  the mk1 project

and im going to add a step by step with pics

so here is the first batch of pics

[img][/img]

the idea is to use an ally frame and ally sheets for top and bottom , raise with a scissor action just like the original and fit a breathable/ water proof fabric in between,  
[/img]

the bottom is  a 75mm x 25mm channel frame which measures  2.194 x 1.394
[/img]
[/img]

frame is fixed in corners with a 25mm x 25mm angle, drilled/sealed/rivited,  squared up and the ally sheet dropped on drilled/ sealed/ rivited.
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
finished bottom tray sealed and ready for a 75mm memory foam mattress this will leave us with 100mm at both ends for lifting mechanism
[/img]

this is going to be a good laugh building this and we are going to learn some new things on the way
and who no's it might even work

please feel free to comment allways looking for ideas

ps:  spelling and grammer are not the best so please forgive.  

later joe
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 18:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joe lane

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 20:32    Post subject: re: copy Reply with quote

hi all

just an update, its a slow process at the moment as there is not enough hours in the day and as its a first build, theres a lot of discussion involved.

ie: as you will see in the next pics, as the tent will permantly be fitted to the roof rack, we will lose the use so i wanted to build a box on box, upgrade the frame and struts and still be able to throw stuff on top, but then drag entered the factor, which i can see makes good sense, as my roof rack has a 3" profile, then adding on another 6" = 9", so its the tappered look we are going for.

heres the pics

[/img]

even this simple idea made us forward think a little bit as in material storage, mechanism room

[/img]

[/img]

we have reduced the profile from 3" down to 1" this is we think minimum.

[/img]

nothing go's to waste as the cut of is reused

[/img]

[/img]

and the tidy if i might say so myself  corner fittings.

we are now at the stage of choosing materials  which we haven't got a clue about so after a bit of googling we came up with a company called pennine outdoors
who are sending us some swatches,  see this is where you come in with some knowledge,   do we buy showerproof, waterproof, breathable,  i have it in my mind that if we buy waterproof then its not breathable, we just want to get it right, so any help, thanks

we have been thinking about the mechanics, as the original is a scissor action and worked by a wind-up lever, we have no idea how this works as we have'nt seen an original in the flesh so we assume its using a left and right threaded bar to pull the 2 opposites together raising the roof,
well standard threaded bar has a fine thread and we worked out you would be turning forever to raise the thing so were do you go what do you ask for we aint got a clue,  so that idea is out the window lol  welcome the old style cable and winch drum which is so much easier and the linkage between front and rear is easily built well thats that for now as we are waiting for parts.  phew..

later joe
joe lane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:40    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all,  just some pics of progress

2mm stainless wire cable and 38mm pulleys delivered today,  so work has started on the raising mechanism, simple pully system, got to say its a lot easier than threaded bar.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

steel used are 25mm x 3mm we thought ally would not take the pressure

[/img]

wheels are 40mm nylon which we had lying about but we had to trim to suit

[/img]

on a test raise it lifted easy after a hard start and that is a naked frame so double ended with materail and trim is going to take some shifting

oh well in for a penny in for a pound

later joe
4runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive project - watching the build progress with interest
look forward to seeing the completed tent

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
joe lane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 20:39    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all,

well another busy afternoon,   after the first setup with the pulleys the initial pull to get the thing going up was under a lot of pressure, so it was decided to add 2 more pulleys,

this works as it should and has taken out half the strain, so this is the way to go.

we had to realign the bars to stop fouling against each other, just extend the brackets out further, 1@ 15mm and 1 @ 20mm

well heres the pics anyway

twin rollers and pulley setup fits well within the 100mm box out at either end of the bed/base
[/img]

the mass of cables which might turn out to be our downfall ( reliability)
[/img]

simple mount brackets for the winch system
[/img]

17mm socket, nice snug fit, this will be covered with a sized grommet when removed
[/img]

oh the joys of home build, this works really well
[/img]

and the trial lift
[/img]

we manage to get a lift and clearance of 1mtr
[/img]

im looking at materials now, such as ballistic nylon which is waterproof/breathable and pretty tough ( they use this for laptop bags)  the only downfall is the thickness as we have a tight area to play with,

or we could go with a double skin, outer = thinner waterproof/breathable ( but lets light in )  inner = blackout fabric breathable to some degree
i think this will act as an insulation also, i think this is the winning combo

well thats all for now.... enjoy
joe lane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:54    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all, just a small update   finished the pulley and winch at the other end and now she raises under her own steam ( with which  i might add a bit of flexability )  this is going to get some time on it to sought out, from what we have gleaned from various write ups on the net, the original tent has some flex when being raised,
so it might not be an issue when material is fitted,  we are still going to look anyway,

im not sure if i covered the link between the two winches either end, we used a 12mm standard threaded rod and the cable is a 2mm stainless 7x19 250 kgs

[/img]

after watching a few vids on the original, they are using the lead screw method with a chain link between ends, this system requires quiet a few turns to raise, we get ours up in half the turns, it works really well

[/img]

the original tent has an opening of 720mm, some how we have achieved 900mm, this might be the reason for flex at height ?

[/img]

this is at 720mm lift and quiet stable, but im a greedy *beep*, lol

just for the record im still looking at the lead screw method ( which if some are wondering lead means how far along the screw the nut will move at one turn of the crank )
we have played with 2 electric motors from a ford 220 electric seat that work on the same principal, the only downfall is, if the motors fail there is no way of entering the tent area for maintenance without breaking some thing. oh well,  would love to raise the tent with buttons.

catch you soon
joe lane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 18:21    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all,     well we have been busy since last update, building the 2nd tent so you have seen most of the pics and progress,  i have built my tent square faced and im going to form some sort of aero dynamics later when fitting the final sheet with overhang, god knows what it will look like but thats the general idea,

now a roof tent fitted to the roof of your truck is not allways handy if you use it a lot, so can be a problem when removing especially when mine is 7 ft in the air.

i have upgraded the roof of my tent so i still can use it as a roof rack, when closed, so no problems

and you will see in the pics we have done away with the steel 1" x  1/4 legs, as this was far to flexable and used 1" 1/2 x 3/8 ally flat bar

this is 70mm x 20mm x 50mm flat ally, for the roof rack struts tucked away in side, pre drilled with 8mm holes, sealed,  
[/img]

this is it fitted
[/img]

pic from the outside, we glue these with stacka flex, very strong
[/img]

nice snug fit behind winch mechanism
[/img]

ally bars do look a lot better and alot sturdier
[/img]

[/img]

and a trial lift
[/img]

we have purchased the material, and if im thinking right we should be painting soon then fitting.

lucky we bought a commercial sewing machine,   not told the wife i can use it, lol

later joe
joe lane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:56    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all, just an update where we are at the moment,

first of all the winch is working great so all the mechanics are boxed in,

heres the pics, enjoy

pure and simples, looks tidy
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

simple brackets cut from the channel and halved, notice no screws on top edge, we can still maintain a good seal
[/img]

the old sewing machine
[/img]

we have stitched webbing the the edges and folded this will cover the edges of the ally channel when fitted for wear purposes
[/img]

mock up of the flysheet, with desert colour webbing against dark green
[/img]

these are heavy duty 10mm zips, might be a bit over the top
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

this last exercise on the fabric took us almost 4 1/2 hours alone,  ally is easy to correct, and fabric is scrap if cut wrong
things should speed up, i hope

well thats all till next time

later joe
joe lane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 21:45    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all, just a more recent update, it has been a very busy weekend and i think the wife is divorcing me, lol

right to get you up to speed, paul has decided to make his a flat / box type affair like mine, as he was finding hard to get the both ends going up at the same rate, at one point there was 6"  differance, this we found was due to the shortened legs on the slim end,  well we learned the not so hard way, so he was in the garage till 12 0/c on sat night pulling it apart,  today we have finished this and started to put the material in place.  

heres the pics

this is the roof frame prior to fitting ally sheet, notice the sticka flex,  very very good stuff
[/img]

looks like a flat pack
[/img]

i call it a large flight case,  lol
[/img]

up in all her glory
[/img]

a 6mm stainless pin, this will keep it stable when awning fitted to side, take the pressure off the material
[/img]

some times you need 3 pairs of hands,  we are fitting a 40mm trim to hold the material in place and to cover the joint
[/img]

and my fav pic, secured top and bottom, and ready for its first fold away ( fingers crossed )
[/img]

the windows look the dogs
[/img]

under tension, looks abit mechanical, i hope the paint tidies it up,  we shall see
[/img]

and closed, wraps up nice, just got to make sure the fabric is on top of the legs, no problems, nice and snug
[/img]

mines on the table next, cant wait,  mad race for billing in a couple of weeks and only one week end left

for the lunatics among you  a total of 360 rivets,  size are 5mm x 16mm

later joe
joe lane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 22:09    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all, mine was on the bench at last and the fabic fitted with flat plate and rivets at 50mm  centers, this is one of the hardest things on the build, as there is so many things that can go wrong, all of a sudden you realise that any deviation in the stitching can have your tent sitting at odd angles , credit to maggiolina they must have done some legwork to iron out the problems,

paul is painting his with 2 pack in white, im going to leave it as it is, just going to give it a rub down with a sanding block and seal the rivet caps with a sealer called ct1 as you can paint over it if you wish.

i have bought a 1.350 x 2.000 x 75mm  bed topper mattress in memory foam, these are very comfortable so ive been told,

any way heres the pics

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

and packed away, looks neat and no snagging, just needs trimming now
[/img]

im sought of glad we are getting to the end,  but is well worth it, and cant wait for billing next weekend where she will be field tested.

well thats all, hopefully with pics of the finished tent

later joe
Ecoman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work thumbleft
joe lane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 18:59    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi, just a small update,
fitted the doors today,  zips are a pain to start off.

pics as follows

[/img]

[/img]

later joe
joe lane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 18:00    Post subject: re: roof tent Reply with quote

hi all,  

the tent is now part finished, and endured a weekend of part time heavy rain and a journey home

the only issue was one rivet leaking which was sealed and im happy to report it worked very very well,
now its just a case of insulating the internal.

i actually slept in till 8o/c this morning, as i usually rise around 5.     the memory foam mattress is comfortable
and the fabric is nearly black out.

heres the pics anyway

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

the front overhang is unfinished and needs shaping

later joe
J66P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracking achievment Joe, Well done
VW Amarok BiTdi
Brett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an awsome amount of work Joe, well done fella salute

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: