4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Central Diff lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Central Diff lock Reply with quote

The central diff lock on my Toyota landcruiser 3L Auto (1999) has locked on.
The yellow warning light remains on.
Have tried putting it in forward drive and rear drive to unlock the diff to no avail.
Local dealer said don't drive it but I need to get it to them so they can look at it.
My manual is in German as I only bought the car yesterday.
Is it safe to drive????

Any advice welcome.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not if you have any corners between you and the dealer. You could seriously damage the transmission if you drive on road with the centre diff lock engaged. It will need a flatbed pickup or a front end lift and tow (unless it is an Auto).

Cheers
Vagabond

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your LC is a Colorado/Prado then it may be OK - it certainly is on my UK Colorado 3.4VX - according to the user manual;
Quote:

"HL" (High Speed position, center differential locked) : Lever at "HL"
Use this for normal driving on wet, icy or snow-covered roads.

Unquote:

It goes on to say that you can shift to and from "H" (high speed) and "HL" at any vehicle speed.

I've used "HL" extensively in the winter months driving in the (Scottish) highlands and never had a problem......yet! Wink

You will damage your transmission if your front or rear diff locks are on .... Crying or Very sad
MikeN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Vagabond.
The LC is at the local dealership as I write because the amber warning light will not go off.
This is my first LC and I only brought it home on Sunday!

MikeN
MikeN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucky!

I will know better when I get my Owner's Manual in English! The one that I got with my LC is in German. My LC is automatic and LHD as we are taking it to Spain.
This site will be invaluable.
Thanks again!
MikeN
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabond wrote:
If your LC is a Colorado/Prado then it may be OK - it certainly is on my UK Colorado 3.4VX - according to the user manual;
Quote:

"HL" (High Speed position, center differential locked) : Lever at "HL"
Use this for normal driving on wet, icy or snow-covered roads.

Unquote:

It goes on to say that you can shift to and from "H" (high speed) and "HL" at any vehicle speed.

I've used "HL" extensively in the winter months driving in the (Scottish) highlands and never had a problem......yet! Wink

You will damage your transmission if your front or rear diff locks are on .... Crying or Very sad

You certainly wouldn't want to use it on normal dry roads though otherwise you will wind up the transmission. Driving with the center diff locked is like driving a part time 4WD in 4WD, i.e. there is no flexibility in the transmission to cope with bends where the front wheels turn at different speeds to the rear ones as well as the difference side to side which is taken up by the normal open front and rear diffs. Something will eventually give - either the tyres will slip which could be OK or could put you into a skid, or one of the transmission components like a Prop UJ or a CV joint or even worse the gearbox or transfer case.

Hope the Dealer can find the problem, maybe an actuator problem.
MikeN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the help and advice.
The dealer sorted the problem this afternoon. His verdict......seized solid due to lack of use by previous owner. He advised engaging it every couple of weeks to maintain condition. Cost £70 inc VAT so it could have been worse.
I have asked the vendor for a refund under his 28 day warranty. Don't hold out much hope though!!!!

MikeN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: