NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie Help Needed - Looking for an Amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:42    Post subject: Newbie Help Needed - Looking for an Amazon Reply with quote

Hiya Folks,

Looking to change from my Pajero Evolution to something a bit more suitable for expedition work where more room is required:lol: A Landcruiser Amazon Looks favourite and looking to change post Mac4x4 challenge Confused Laughing , so Mid/late March onwards. Laughing

Would prefer a 93-96 4.2 diesel so if anyone could give me any pointers or tips on what to look out for, It would be appreciated and what sort of price would I be looking at.

Many Thanks.

trev
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a 93 myself and these are the areas I looked at. There are not many things that go wrong but here are the main ones.

1. General Body condition, a lot of these have quite a hard life although they are really built to take it. If it looks well cared for then there is a chance it has been.

2. Has it been used for towing, tow bar in evidence or cables for lights. Again these can take a lot of abuse but eventually the transmission will wear if used for a lot of towing. Drive it and see if the transmission whines a lot - Transfer cases and diffs can all suffer from a fair amount of whine if abused although it is not always a problem.

3. Front axle shaft seals and noise from the front CV (Birfield) joint. Not difficult to fix but relatively expensive if you need new Birfields. Front seals go and will show a lot of evidence of dirty cruddy oil and grease around the front swivels.

4. Interior - expensive to refurb leather seats if you have too and you are worried about it.

5. Check the engine for oil pressure and bottom end noises. There is talk of premature big end wear on some earlier engines but by no means all. These can be changed with the engine in situ if needed and when we are talking premature - around 100K miles is the number. If the engine has been regularly serviced should not be a problem. Check the condition and colour of the oil, black is OK, dirty looking or water in it is not a good sign. Generally however the 1HD-T engine is built like a truck engine and should go 300K plus without major work.

Apart from that, there is little you can do to break them. You will see bith Import and UK spec ones around, UK ones generally have leather heated electric seats, 8 seats etc, imports ones don't have the leather electric seats although some will have lots of other options such as Fridge in the centre console, clinometer, suspension lifts, winches etc.

It depends how much you want to spend but there is a really nice couple at Missenden Motor company http://www.missendenmotors.co.uk

I looked at one there a while a go which was really goo however it had a lift on it which made it too tall to go in our local car park.

I paid 7K for mine with 140K miles on the clock, UK spec. Imports go for a bit less generally but have lowere mileages generally although accuracy cannot always be guaranteed - a BIMTA check will make sure.
Moses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Andy,

Phew Shocked Thanks for your help. Laughing

Had a look at a few already and yes, I did notice oil seepage from the front axle of one of them. It was advertised as an 4.2 VX 1993... would this still be an Amazon? Only had 5 seats.
Thanks for the web site. Need to look round a few more to get used to what I am looking at etc... Looking to spend around 7-8k maybe more. Smile
Feel a browsing trip to A1 auctions on Southampton coming up:wink:

rgds
trev
andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses wrote:

rgds
trev

At your own risk!!!!!!!!!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Ben 77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate,there is a garage that deals mainly in LC's over the west side of the M25,they have got loads for sale.

Web address is www.ggg.co.uk

Good luck Very Happy

Ben.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses wrote:
Hiya Andy,

Phew Shocked Thanks for your help. Laughing

Had a look at a few already and yes, I did notice oil seepage from the front axle of one of them. It was advertised as an 4.2 VX 1993... would this still be an Amazon? Only had 5 seats.
Thanks for the web site. Need to look round a few more to get used to what I am looking at etc... Looking to spend around 7-8k maybe more. Smile

rgds
trev

Trev.

5 Seater would be an import generally still an Amazon (well sort of, didn't really start calling them that in 1993) they are also often VX limiteds. To be honest if you have 7-8K to spend then I would get one already here. You have more comeback if you get one already in the country from a dealer if you are going to go for an import.

Grsovenor Garage (ggg.co.uk) are good as has been posted. Looked at a couple from there however they are generally in the 10-11K mark.

If everything about the car is OK and just has oil leaks from the front axle, don't sweat it, they are easy to do and as they all do it at some time or the other it would be bad to pass up a car just because of that.
Moses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...

Great web sites, may pay them a visit Laughing Any more??? Laughing

Thanks for the tips andy..... the 5 seater was ok but the condition didn't tie up with the mileage so I Laughing walked away.

Like I said, got to get the Macmillan challenge out of the way first but no harm in looking. Wink

trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: