Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Got it today....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhhayes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 20:23    Post subject: Got it today.... Reply with quote

Picked up a silver 150 today, LC4 spec from Border Toyota in St Boswells. Only done 65 miles in it, so far so good, and so quiet compared to the Amazon I traded in. No rattles other than from the incorrectly fitted luggage cover (it was in upside down... turned it over and no rattle!). Very tight engine, fuel consumption from the computer in the low twenties (no doubt it will soon improve to the 'Combined 34.9mpg' of govt tests - ho ho ho). Seems to go well enough, certainly more spritely than the Amazon by the feel of it. Will get a few hundred miles on it and 'report back'.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 20:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! - you should love it .... is it brand new and if so can you confirm it has the the increased power 127kw to 141kw and torque from 410n to 420n?

My Black 150 is two years old in October so is obviously 127kw & 410n - still much quieter and more responsive than my old 120 ... I'm well pleased with it to date - one or two niggles like any car.... Smile  - hopeless (too small) mud flaps lead to road rash, hesitates out of sharp corners at times etc etc all well documented on Pradopoint (Aus) if your interested ....... Wink
mhhayes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's new and the bumf claims 141kw and 420Nm. Also, have been following your postings, so had already looked at Pradopoint - a very useful site!

Spent last night scanning the over 1200 pages of manuals that came with the LC!!! As you would expect, I did this after playing with the buttons etc all day, looking at the manuals as a last resort. Rather absurdly, after cramming them all into the folder that Toyota thoughtfully provided......I found that the folder won't go in the glovebox. In fact the only place it will all go in is in the 'cool box' in the centre armrest..... a chilled set of manuals for when you can't remember how to change the 'lounge lighting'..... Not sure where I'll stash the complete works long term yet.

I'll also need to find some good mudflaps. Are there any model specific aftermarket ones yet?
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I've no idea...... let me know if you find out please.... Smile
mhhayes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now got 800 miles on the clock since last Friday, following a trip from the Borders to Aberdeen and back yesterday/today. Diesel consumption from the computer was 26 mpg for the round trip, at an average speed of 53mph (it is mostly dual carriageway, s0 it is easy to keep rolling). Still tight, but easing up, but if I ever get over 30mpg I'll be ecstatic! This consumption is matching my former Amazon 4.2 TD, maybe not surprising as power figures are similar. I'm still curious as to just how you would have to drive to get the 34.9mpg 'officially' quoted!!!

Other observations.... backache after 3 hours of driving. Not sure yet if it's the seat, the position, or me, but definitely haven't got it right yet. ......Low speed acceleration was fine for the cut and thrust in Aberdeen, in fact it is a lot nippier than the Amazon.....no rattles.....good radio/CD player...good Bluetooth connection to Blackberry, and easy to make calls.....and, yes, it does grumble a bit at 1500rpm in auto/5th. It's simply too high geared to drive slowly in D, you need to be in 'S4', which also helps the nippiness factor. As 1500 in 5th seems to be 50mph, following a lorry is either a grumble in D or 2000 in 4. Simples! Use the gearlever and slip it sideways.

So far, still extremely pleased with it.....
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re MPG - I get on average 31mpg - never get near the 35mpg..... (I use ultimate / v power) it was showing 29mpg when I picked it up with 10,000 miles on the clock.

Just as comfortable on my back as my 120 - no problem for me....

I rarely bother to use the 'sport' mode - but know what you mean....
armstrong75

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In May I achieved 36.1mpg on a trip from Calais to Perpignan (800 mles?), all on the Autoroute.

Lots of roadworks so 90/110 kph for much of the time.

Strangely, I only got 27 mpg on the return trip, perhaps it was due to the ladders on top which weren't there on the way down!!!

I also only use BP Ultimate/Shell V-Power/Total Excellium.
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'll find the quality of the diesel we now get is not what is was even 10 years back. hence poorer consumption figures.

SOunds like you have yourself a really nice truck.
armstrong75

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a very nice September 2010 LC5, black of course.

I've just checked the on-board computer at 9950 miles:

Average mpg since new: 28.3.

Average mpg since last refill: 33.1

All local driving since last refill.

As an aside, this is the second trip to Perpignan and on the previous one I used cruise control most of the way and it was much thirstier.

Needless to say, I no longer use cruise control.

Interesting though, my previous 4.2 TD Amazon was more economical using cruise.
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black eh? - I found 'detailing world' very useful on how to keep black looking good ..... but I've still got swirls that show in sunlight doh!! - despite my best efforts ...... reckon I would have to get a DA to deal with them but don't have the confidence.....  Rolling Eyes
armstrong75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Meguiars stuff including Clay Bar.

The lambswool mitt and micro-fibre drying cloths help but it can still look awful as soon as it rains!!!

I think there must still be a lot of volcanic ash up there!!

I practiced on the wife's black Yaris first!
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  volcanic ash ..... no that was sand dust carried up by Southerly winds over the Sahara .....shouldn't need a clay bar yet .... mine is 18 months or so old and on a sample area the clay bar picked up nothing....

Black looks great for around 30 minutes ........ Rolling Eyes  - in fact at the last service a guy was changing his V8 Land Cruiser for silver (boring) as he was sick of trying to keep it looking clean - and that it showed every mark.  Which they do of course - especially with the inadequate mudflaps - I have 'gravel rash' up the front doors and the rear bump area plus thousands of tiny chips on the front.  In fact - one dollop of bird *beep* left overnight when it went in for service has permanently marked the paintwork.. etc ... etc - sounding a bit *beep* now....

Suffice to say - I try to keep it well covered in polish and use a quick detail/quick wax every 'wash' - most of which are waterless washes with ONR and the like.... sounding even more *beep*  Confused
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief - can't even say anOl without a beep
mhhayes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must have incredibly light feet....With 4000 miles on the clock, I've just done the round trip from the Borders to Aberdeen and back...at steady 70-75 on dual carriageways. Fuel consumption now reached the dizzy heights of 27 mpg, so no signs yet of any marked improvement as the engine eases up. The best I've managed to read out is 30mpg after leaving a filling station with the road running downhill, but as soon as I touch the accelerator the average soon drops back to 27. Did notice that at urban speeds of c.40mph in 4th, it shows 28mpg, but who drives like that all day??? Even played with aircon on and off (no discernible difference), and got the wife to follow me to see if any black smoke (none), so it's not running rich.

I didn't buy this for its refined road manners or fuel consumption, for which I use a Mercedes S350 Bluetec diesel - which I drive in exactly the same way and get an easy 37mpg from its 3 litre diesel. 10mpg difference for 4WD and a bluff frontal area....but I know which one I'll be using when the snow comes!

I too always use V-Power diesel or equivalent too.
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has done around 17,000 miles - '59 reg. Averages 30.9 MPH........ includes long journeys from Hertfordshire to Cornwall ..... best it ever showed was 31.2 ........ how one ever gets 35mph (claimed by Mr T) is a mystery .......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: