4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Jimbo's LJ78 'Cruiser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is an oddball.

The side view of the rear suspension shows a semi floating rear axle, whereas the manual shows a fully floating axle is used with a disc braked set up.

Do you know why?

Also, I would not leave your brake balance set up as is. Clamp off the front brakes---one clamp will do for this---and then drive and brake. Adjust the rod until the rear brakes lock up. Re-adjust so brakes clamp hard without locking. Job done.

Roger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 20:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments chaps. Rahul, I'll get a pic of it as it stands (when it stops raining) and post it up with an older pic Wink

Roger Fairclough wrote:
Now there is an oddball.

The side view of the rear suspension shows a semi floating rear axle, whereas the manual shows a fully floating axle is used with a disc braked set up.

Do you know why?

Could it be somthing to do with me having a rear difflock?

Not sure what you mean about adjusting the brake balance, do you mean the load sensor? Cos I've run out of adjustment! As you see it in the pic is before I adjusted it all the way to the top... or do you mean it should come back down a bit?

Jim.

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting that different markets have different specs.  Surprised

After I raised my KZJ 70, I extended the adjustable link to suit. When I stripped out the back axle to have it shot blasted, I ground off various brackets to simplify the set-up. This included the one for the brake bias valve. I then converted the valve to manual adjustment. This was surprisingly simple. It works for me because the load in the back of the car is relatively static.

Going back to your disc brake/semi floating axle design. One reason I have stayed away from converting my own axle was the thought that with a semi floating design, the axle half shaft is free to float in and out. This movement exists because all ball races have a degree of end float, even when new, and this end float would inevitably increase with general wear and that would then have the effect of pushing back the pistons in the brake caliper. This would then increase the brake pedal movement, as the first part of braking would be used up by pushing the pistons back into their correct position. I knew a guy with an SJ who converted his back axle to discs and then had the scenario of having to dab on his brakes to initially remove this free play and that is not something I wanted to keep doing. I was partially reassured by the knowledge that Fiat used a similar design on a 2 litre model and the guy with the SJ was a bit ham fisted at the best of times and his work was not necessarily of a required standard  Crying or Very sad Also the Toyota , as was the Fiat, uses a single piston caliper and works experience may have suggested that this design is less susceptible to end float and of course the massive bearing that Toyota use would also be of help.

Roger
BruiserTheCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11    Post subject: payload or gvw for an lj78 Reply with quote

Hi do you know what the payload or gvw for an lj78 is please
thanks
baja9007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely rig there......i have Lj78 and i want to change the tires and i was thinking of getting the coopers for my rig.....some questions i have in mind.....noise issue on road?what size should i go for(current size is 31x10.50 R15)so i want a bit taller and skinny tires so what size i should go for .....
thanks Ajab
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: