4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Landcruiser LC4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lometun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 18:51    Post subject: New Landcruiser LC4 Reply with quote

My wife was asking me last week if we could sell her immaculate LC5, 2003, 31000 miles, ours from new, and get her a new LC150. I was on the Toyota website today and what do you know, my local dealer had a brand new lc4 in the showroom and was offering £6000.00 off list, so I thought why not. I called the dealer and arranged a test drive just to be sure she liked the ride and we set off to buy it.
When we arrived a bit early the salesman was going to be 15 minutes so we had plenty of time to look it over. I thought my wife was going to be made up with it, but she found it very hard to find anything positive to say about it. "The dash is too square and seems very dark and made of a cheaper material than the LC5"  "The leather seats look like pvc"  "the car is very high"  "The view out the windscreen is restricted by the shape of the front" "the rear window glass tint is way too dark" "Where is the wood effect trim that I like so much on my LC5?"  and on it went. For me the outright deal killer was no memory function on the drivers seat, a real bugbear on the LC5. I know some of you will think she is being over fussy, but the car is expensive and it should be better than a 2003 LC5.
When the salesman arrived, she said no need to drive it, she will keep her LC5, saves me some dosh i guess. Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 18:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she could be swayed by looking at a 150 LC5 then?

It needs to be driven to understand how much quieter and responsive it is than her old 120.  It doesn't roll around corners and holds the road so much better etc etc....

Just a thought.... Smile
lometun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 19:06    Post subject: NEW LC4 Reply with quote

I know the LC5 is better equipped, but it is still the same basic vehicle and I consider it vastly overpriced for what it is, I mean the list price is over £50,000.
Most of the bits that cost so much extra are never going to be used by the wife on her odd shopping trips.
I also expect you are spot on when you say it is a better ride and more powerful but as she said yesterday, the LC5 is not exactly a bad ride is it.
In Jan 2008, I collected from toyota a brand new amazon, last of the line, brand spanking new but pre-registered in Toyotas name in late 2007, for £39000.00 all done to clear the last few out, so I might have been spoiled a bit as it is by far the best car I have ever purchased and dare I say far better than any LC150, all for a very reasonable price, so perhaps after this they are all going to look overpriced. I also have the LC5 that I didn't  want to part with when I purchased the Amazon, so we have ended up with one each.
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - yes your right of course ... the 150 LC5s extras would be wasted in such cases - but to be honest a lot of us driving these SUV's don't really use them for what they are really for..... the most we do is drive up a kerb or across a muddy field occasionally.  As most reviews say .... 'fine if you are living in sub-sahara Africa - but in the UK a waste'. (or words to that effect)

So why do we drive them? status, image (probably a poor one from 'bunny huggers'), safety or just 'cos we 'like' them? - and what do we like about them? ...... and so it goes on ....... tongue

I bought my original Land Cruiser Colorado for towing a caravan - but to be honest a robust estate or something equivalent would have done the job I suppose....... but once my caravan got blown up in the Buncefield oil depot explosion a while back I was hooked on everything about driving a 'large' 4x4 and haven't been able to change to something smaller (and didn't bother with a caravan again) .... maybe if finances change then I will have to change with it.

Anyway .... I'm prattling on ......... so will pack it in. Rolling Eyes
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

'fabulous 150' - 'super dooper' etc etc - not sure about any of that - maybe I've been guilty of 'over egging' the product........

For sure there are things about it that I don't like and I don't think are right.... the ride is unsettled and not as smooth as I think it could be ... it never 'leans' through corners however.  From what I've read the BMW X5 and Discovery 4 have much much better ride qualities.  It could have done with a boost in power, which I understand has been done in the latest models - same engine but 'chipped' as I understand... (anniversary edition)...... but mine is still well adequate for me ......and still much better than my 120 IMO.

Despite that and a few other issues .... I think its a better car than the 120..... which, if it wasn't of course, would mean Toyota had gone backwards.... 'mudflaps' are as useless as the 120 ones were .... if not worse....
lometun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 21:29    Post subject: THINGS I NEED TO SEE ON IT... Reply with quote

What the 150 really needs is a proper split tailgate like the 100 series has, not just a pop up window.
This makes it much better for loading at the shops, makes it safe for my dog, and makes a great seat at events, etc.
Also, paint the chassis properly, I mean it is all rusty looking after the first year of ownership and at the price Toyota charge, it should be much better.
As a matter of fact, I could point out loads of stuff they could do a lot better, I don't know why they never get us loyal owners to provide them with some feedback.
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 'lometun' - despite your wifes reservations I take it you went out and got one?

I really would not worry about rust on the chassis - from what I understand you and I will be long dead (happy days!) before that gives up..... Surprised)

What does your wife (and you) really enjoy and hate about the 150?
lometun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 13:56    Post subject: Not So Reply with quote

No, we didn't get one in the end. I was just talking about the two I have.
She loves her LC5 and we both Like my late model Amazon, so we aren't in any hurry to change them, but we would if the right car came along at the right price, not much chance of that at the moment.
If when they face lift the 150 and fit a proper split tailgate, fit a nicer engine, and change the dash layout I might buy one.
About the chassis rust, I know it won't fall apart on me, but it looks a mess and I like my cars to stay fresh looking, so i have had mine done with black waxoil, but why should I have to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: