2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Poor write up on performance from Which Magazine....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 22:14    Post subject: Poor write up on performance from Which Magazine.... Reply with quote

Which Magazine only gives the 150 one star for performance and not a great write up generally... strangely they gave the 120 3 stars for performance complaining this latest engine is noisy etc.  I must say I don't agree - my engine is very quiet and much more responsive than the 120 I had before... they say.......

'The size of the Land Cruiser is also its downfall, though. Weighing in at over two tonnes, it's a big lump of metal to move. And it's not helped by an underpowered diesel engine that's rough and noisy, and an automatic gearbox that's just as underwhelming.

And the news doesn't get any better when you reach a corner at the end of that straight - the heavy Land Cruiser has a tendency to understeer badly.

It's also worth noting the ride isn't as smooth as some of the competition and running costs can be high.
'

and they say a lot more - not all of it bad! - 'fith gear' gives it a much better write up.  I'm happy with it although it does have one or two niggles - just like any cars does.... still a marked improvement IMO on the 120...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 22:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the competition is a Discovery 4 or RR Sport they are right , the driving dynamics of the LR product are far better than the LC ... the engines also are much better ...the V6 in the disco or the V8 in the sport....both are more lively and more powerful.
The comparison ends there though .... I would not dream of taking either of the LR's seroiusly off road and while fine when new both will in the longer term prove to be far less reliable than the LC... but thats not what Which is judging them on.... for the school  there are   far more car like 4 x 4's than the LC ,
understeer ? only if you try and corner like an estate car and not like a 2 ton 4x4 which surprise surprise the LC is .  Confused
mhhayes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to collect a new LC 150, after 6 months with an Amazon. I've picked it because I want it to still be running in 15 years time, because it has a real chassis, and in the winters up here in Scotland I don't want to be on basically road tyres - so that collection of requirements just about rules everything else out, especially something pretty!

I wouldn't worry too much about what Which? says. If everyone took their advice(?) we'd all be driving arounf in Nissan Micras or VW Polos - neither of which I'd be seen dead in - in daylight at least!
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL .....  Very Happy  ..... no indeed I don't worry at all about what they say..... you may find it interesting and amusing to read the responses I got on Pradopoint ...... what the Aussies thought about my posting the 'which' review ... and what they think of 'pom' reviews and 'poms' in particular - according to one we are known for our 'Bad Teeth, Bad Fashion and Bad Car makers' - especially the reliability of the Land Rover ........  Wink
deltafive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many Which subscribers report on Landcruisers they are much more interested in street cred and buy Discos, Q7s and X5s all of which weigh at least as much as a LC. Toyota build the LC150 as a worldwide vehicle not a chelsea tractor, they need to be reliable in developing countries where broken tarmac is the best you get and unmade tracks the norm. Can you imagine trying to keep a Disco 3 running in Thailand or Kenya or Brazil, it would be off the road more than on, the 120/150 copes no problem. To ensure rugged reliability LCs have to sacrifice some refinement

Interestingly a friend has just bought an LC150, he rates it better than his previous vehicle a VW Touraeg V10.

Toyota are near the top in the reliability charts, Landrover are at the bottom, Brits would say - LR customer service is excellent, that is good you are going to visit them frequently, Aussies say - you can go into the bush in a Landrover but to come back alive take a Landcruiser.

LC120 V6 lpg x 2
Hilux D4D MK 6
Hilux MK2
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting 'deltafive' - when you say your friend 'has just bought an LC150' ...... is that a new new one such as the 60th anniversary addition - which has boosted power ('chipped' I think its known as) from the same engine? or a 'new' used 'basic' version.
deltafive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why he changed there must be quite power difference, he did say with about 90k on the Toerag he did not fancy an engine rebuild and the servicing on that V10 must have been expensive. What I dont get is why you need 300 or 400 or 500hp in a 4x4, even with a large caravan the 180hp with an automatic keeps up with the traffic and if you want to tow at 70 you can, although the engine noise should be a lot less. I am happpy that my Toyotas cost me  a lot less and are more reliable than the alternatives, the wife is happy to go shopping in the LC120, there is plenty of space for kids as well as shopping.
A quieter diesel would be welcomed by all but improving handling on a tall heavy vehicle is expensive and complex and not justified on a 4x4 that sells mainly in developing countries.

Dave

LC120 V6 lpg x 2
Hilux D4D MK 6
Hilux MK2
dannyson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

90K and needed an engine rebuild.... Shocked

As for a more quiet engine, I have to say, for me, my 150 engine is so much more quiet than my old 120 - significantly so - at motorway speeds I can't here the engine at all (unlike my 120) - my old 120 would startle me sometimes by the sudden rattling noise that would appear - randomly it seemed (from new) - my 150 hasn't done that at all.  I'm well pleased .. and as I drive it like a large 4x4 I have no issues with wanting more power - it does all it claims to do and more in my book.  

For those in doubt - go drive one - get over the light steering response - I don't even think about it now - but 'frightened' me at first, and as others have said - it seems there must be some sacrifices over such as the Land Rover to make it the go anywhere and get you back no matter where..... something Land Rover doesn't appear to be able to achieve. Having said that - I struggle to find a real reason I bought this 150 as I don't intend to take to dodgy places.  

I suppose its just because I like the way it can do stuff and has a presence that I like over and above common Land/Range Rovers.  Its tough and reliable and not sensitive and ..... well... unreliable.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: