Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr siddeley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 15:44    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

I have read all I can about using bio diesel in colorado models,apart from the bio cleaning the gunge out is it practical/safe for the welfare of the engine? i have been making my bio for 4 years and using it in the ssangyong musso.s [MB 2.9 diesels] but we are having an 02 toyota colorado 3 lte vx as its towing capacity far exceeds the old musso,I am hoping its as simple as fitting an inline fuel filter to filter out the rubbish that will be cleaned out by the bio as thats all i had to do with the musso,  My bio is dry washed after conversion from waste vegy oil and on conversion is always in the 27/3 range when tested befor washing [27mil of methanol ad 3 mil of bio shake and leave for a while,if its all clear with no visible oil in the mix its good to go],any info gratefully recieved as this is a BIG investment for us and if i nause it up privilege's will be withdrawn!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 15:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aroscow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

Not sure on the Collies but bio is fine in the 80 i run.
dr siddeley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 20:15    Post subject: bio in a collie Reply with quote

thankyou for the reply,we go to collect our new to us collie tomorow,as we have a three months warranty on this beast so i will probably keep it on diesel untill that runs out,
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dr siddeley.

Your Collorado is a 90 series, with D4-d also known as 1KD-FTV

Very much a different engine to the agricultural 1KZ-TE ( sorry 1KZ-TE owners )
The D4-d is generally only found in the newer 120 series, and only a few Colorado's got this newer engine.
Your D4-d is therefore not suitable to use chip oil, new or old, that was the realms of your MB OM602 engine.
The D4-d you have is light years ahead of the MB OM602 lump you used to feed all sorts of oil to, and be happy with.
The D4-d you have will be 161bhp or 163bhp, and about 400Nm Tq, if I remember.
So, sorry, no veggie oil for this one.
If you are intersted in upping the power, PM me as I have the Toyota Lindop box for your LC if you are intersted in more power/economy.

vette
aroscow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi graham

If the dr is making proper bio not filtered oil as is then would not at least a blend of it work fine?

I was speaking to some guys who run the new model golfs on a blend of diesel and bio and they were running well.

Hope all is well with you and your good lady.
dr siddeley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am NOT using chip oil or veggy oil in any of my motors, new or used, i have a purpose built wvo [WasteVeggy Oil]] processor,in goes the waste oil and after some treatment out comes Bio fuel, Its viscosity is exactly the same as pump diesel,the only problem with it is its  clleaning ability,an inline fillter needs to be put in until all the stain,shelllac, has been clleaned out,once that has been done you jjust keep an eye on the filter and change when its needed,Plese remember that pump diese has a % of bio in it, so providing the various seals are compatible [To be investigated] I reckon it will be OK to use bio,We are allowed to make and use 500 galllons of bio each year duty FREE!
aroscow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might be making it properly.  A centrifugal cleaner might also help get rid of any final contaminants?
I can send a link if it helps?

Seals should be fine. Early 1990 seals were a problem.
dr siddeley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a centrifid thingy but i fear the cost would prevent me,but please send the link
aroscow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be too expensive

http://www.dieselcraft.co.uk/Oil_Purification.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: