Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

new 1996 prado owner (tow queries)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 14:34    Post subject: new 1996 prado owner (tow queries) Reply with quote

has anyone had problems towing with a 3.0l td. auto.lwb? my caravan weight is 1640kg loaded. are there any specs for towing with a jap import? not colarado.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 14:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there that many differences between an imported Prado and a Colorado 3.0TD as to affect the towing capacity?

Obviously there are some exterior/cosmetic and interior spec differences but aren't the drivetrains and engines basically the same?

Confused
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just fitted towbar and electrics to my Colarado 3TD auto,(not an import) next week I hope to hitch up the caravan to check tow ball hight, and electrics, and will take it for a test run to see how it pulls, my van weighs in at 750 kg I dont antisipate any problems but thought it best to try it in advance,
will let you know how I get on
I will have to experiment with gear/overdrive combination and engine braking down hills, anyone got any tips?, I am new to towing with an auto box

JIM...........
Errol Stagg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing a 1640kg caravan with your 3.0TD should be OK and definately a breeze towing a 750kg caravan!
I tow a 1500kg caravan with my 2.5TD auto. She gets a little breathless on gradients so I switch to ECT PWR in anticipation of gradients. I also have extra gearbox oil cooler to be on the safe side.
Down hill braking should not present a problem as the caravan brakes should automatically engage if you have to slow down suddenly.

Good luck
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, a couple of days ago I got the caraven hitched to the Land Cruiser, the electrics all worked fine so I took it for a little test run,I think this will end up being the best tow car I have had so far, it realy pulls well, I will need a notice on the dash to remind me that I am towing!! I did find that when it changed into top gear (in overdrive) it took the edge of the acceleration, but by that time I was almost at the speed limit for towing in the uk,as I suspected will probably be best to use overdrive once up to speed on motorways etc, I didnt think to try the power switch might be handy on hills? as I said the caravan only weighs about 750kg, and I dont realy push a vehicle hard when towing, just pop a couple of favorite CDs in the player and chill out,

JIM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: