All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Taking bicycles overland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 15:37    Post subject: Taking bicycles overland Reply with quote

Hi,

Happy New Year to all.

We are keen on taking bikes on our big adventure next year. Our challenge is to find a way to attach them to the vehicle without taking too much space, without falling off, and without being easily available to steal. We have thought of putting them on the roof in front of the roof top tent in a special fixing, but we are not sure yet if there is enough space. One option we have discarded is to have a rack on the back as we think the bumpy roads will bee too rough on the joints and fixings. We have also looked at foldable bikes and if there is room inside for them (we would still need to measure).

Any ideas or do any of you have experience taking bikes on big long trips??

Cheers,

N-reg 80-series 4.2 TD manual
BFG 285/75R16
OME
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 15:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

4runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took 2 mountain bikes to pyrenees last summer.
I didnt want them on roof, since higher ferry charge, more fuel use and would snag on trees when on tracks in pyrennes (we did go under a lot of low branches, roofbox was ok but bikes would have snagged)

On back bikes could have been damaged on ruts and rock steps we encountered. And a pain to remove them to access boot.

What i did was remove 2nd row seats, and put the mtb bikes i bikebags we already had and used to take them on planes. We had only to removr wheels and seats to get the bikes in. The neil pryde bike bahd protected bikes from damagimg each other and car interior

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
4runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make out the bike bags - sitting upright in back of vehicle on this picture
I used a strap to strap the bike bags together and to load guard
I have since build a frame and wooden shelf to sit the bike bags on, and now have a bit of storage space underneath them

i only took 5mins to take a bike out and assemble it, my wife often cycled down the pyrenees mountains whilst i drove down. she was often a lot faster than me and we we had motorola radios to keep in touch.

typical reason why we didnt want bikes on roof (and we have a rooftent now, so no space for bikes up there anyway)

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Cptsideways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been involved with mountain bikes for over 20 years, the safest & most secrure way to transport them is to remove the front wheel & secure them with the fork/wheel fittings. This way you dont need a rack just a hub mount that is secure. Then for travelling you could have the hub mount on the roof-rear edge so you can hang them off the back or on the roof pointing backwards.  They only then need the rear wheel tied down to stop them moving, & somewhere to put the front wheel simples.
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for good comments and suggestions.

I agree that one of the best ways to secure a bike is mounting a hub for the front fork and tie the bike down that way. It has worked really well for us on several occasions. The trick with bike bags is also good - hadn't thought of that.

We are planning to be away for a while and to see remote places where there are no smooth roads. I am building a full set of drawers at the back to take all we need for the trip. The back seats have been removed to fit a fridge and a small seat so bike bags won't be an option for us. With a roof top tent the hub solution on the roof rack would be sideways, but as 4runner said this would increase hight and fuel consumption. I am also worried that mounting anything that can sway will mean more likelyhood of breaking/shearing.

If this clarification prompts any other ideas please let me know. Thanks again for your contribution.

PS 4runner, is that you on tele-skis?

Rgds,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
4runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - I am  a keen telemark skier - XC, nordic and big mountain telemark

excuse for some offtopic photos!  do you telemark ski too?

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
4runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is a small trailer to carry the bikes in -  but that is a lot of inconvenience and another thing which could break

a custom made bike carrier on a "swing-out spare wheel" carrier on the back could be another option (but only if your spare wheel is underslung), then easy to swing the bikes out of the way when opening the tailgate.
wheels could be removed from bikes and carried on roof or in vehicle in wheel bags. since its usually the wheels which stick out at back and hang down to low

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I do do telemark too, only it has been way too long since I was last out ... I spent many weekends in uni on my skis but have switched first to triathlons and then to mtb since coming to the UK. I don't have many photos of me, but these were taken by a friend of mine in 2000.

Cheers,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose destination has a bearing, although theft from the vehicle is probably an equal risk on a long journey on any continent.

What about bonnet mounting the spare tyre?  You could then add a swingaway box (ie completely enclosing the bikes) on the rear?

I missed the telemark style - used to do the langlauf type in Norway in the 70's, and downhill in the 80's/90's (skied with Tomba, if anyone remembers him!) and the telemark seemed to come out in the 90's after I had to give up (back injury, not ski related).

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: