All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The adventures of Viking Explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 22:43    Post subject: The adventures of Viking Explorer Reply with quote

So,

This is where it all begins!

I bought my Cruiser in September. After having crawled under a dozen or so, in various states of disrepair and rust attack, I came across a very good specimen for not too much money. It has some of the normal ails, but overall it is in very good condition: no rust, no dents, a few scratches, and a 4.2 TD that purrs like a lion.

I have had to do a quick fix on the coolant for the engine as it was overheating, but that has now been sorted. Next project is to get the engine and drivetrain up to an acceptabe standard, before starting the installation of electrics and storage.

Not sure how many hours I have spent trawling the net for gear of all makes and models... there is so much out there! I need new wheels and tyres, but finding the right size and tread is proving a challenge - it seems as though the 2.5% rule from the original tyre size is somewhat loosely interpreted... The search continues. I need storage, and the same challenge occurs - what to go for, and should I build my own?? Tent, fridge(/freezer), cooking gear, spares, recovery: the challenge is the same, and the options just as many.

Anyways, more later.

Cheers,

Viking Explorer
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 22:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 21:28    Post subject: The adventures of Viking Explorer Reply with quote

At last,

The preparation work has begun in earnest!

Last weekend I drove my Cruiser to the mechanic to have a look at the engine and drivetrain, and to do the work needed to get it up to tip top condition. During the week I got the call I was dreading: Huston - we have a problem. At some point in the past the cam belt broke, resulting in a snapped cylinder head. It was not replaced, but welded  (and not even all parts). Some of the cracks are still visible. Also, the timing belt was full of oil, the timing belt tensioner was not really tensioning anything, and the fan inside the waterpump was not not really rotating - as there were no teeth left on the fan for grip. Bottom line - it was a miracle that it managed to get the 100miles from me to the mechanic.

So what now? We have sourced a reconditioned cylinder head that we will use, and then clean out the rest of the engine before putting it all back together again with a new radiator, and a full service. After that we'll make a new assessment about the rest of the Cruiser. There is still much to do.

Until next time,

Viking Explorer
zeroland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates.  Keep the posts coming as we always enjoy following the builds of overlanders...

When do we get photos?
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Mid February already!

A few weeks ago I had a proper inspection of the vehicle with my mechanic. Barring any serious problems with the transmission and the diffs I think we are in pretty good shape. Overall a very good vehicle, both inside and out. No rust to speak of, no dents, no cracks, and nothing obvious missing. This has made me very pleased and I still believe I made a good purchase.

Progress report on the engine: All looking good!! The new cylinder head arrived and has been declared fit for purpose. The engine it self has also had a good assessment and has been declared very good. Now it’s just to put it all back together, add some oil, and off we go.

But the can of worms is still not completely empty. Rust and water in the fuel filter, and the wheels – yet another surprise. I did know that someone had put the wrong wheelnuts on, but it was worse than that. The offset on one wheel was wrong, so a spacer had been put in to give more clearance. This meant that there weren’t really enough threads left to put the nuts back on safely. Amazing. Also, the clearance between the wheel and the calliper was about 1mm (almost rubbing). That someone thought it was safe to drive it this way was frightening – and also a reminder to me to create a check-list with the most important items to go through regularly.

The wheel problem has now been properly solved: I now have a set of BFG AT 285/75R16 on steel modular. I have not seen the end result yet, but I’m looking forward to it.

I am still keeping my eyes and ears open for good solutions for storage and other equipment. There are many good solutions out there, and prices to match for some of them. I’m slowly building a picture in my head about what I want – but no purchases yet.

Until next time,

Viking Explorer

PS: pictures will hopefully be available at next posting
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOunds good - you might want to ditch the spacers in case you were thinking of keeping them - i recall Chas had trouble with his a few times (wheel fell off on fast road - more than once i recall)

tough old trucks though - and they keep going when most things would stop.
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry it has been so long, but now it really is time for an update.

So what has changed? Engine is working really well, purring like a cat. The drive train has also been finalised, and all is well. Breathers extended, new OME suspension with about 3 inches lift, new brakes all around, new stub axles, rebuilt diff, new bushes and bearings, and a very thorough service. Drives like a dream. We went greenlaning a while back, and it was nice to finally see what the truck can do (didn't do anything too technical, but still...).

What was really scary to see was what came off the truck. The old suspension was almost rusted through, with one of the springs completely sheared in two near the top. The old brake discs were almost worn through, and had also started breaking at the edges. As for the rest, it was clear that this was a long overdue overhaul. I am sure several of you out there have had similar experiences... I guess it is part of the "fun".

I have attached a couple of photos for you to look at.

Until next time,

Viking Explorer

[img] Before 1[/img]
[img] Before 2[/img]
[img] Final result! Very Happy [/img]
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25    Post subject: December update Reply with quote

Almost X-mas... (lots of car parts and equipment on the wish list this year!)

I know it has been a long time since last update, so here is a pre x-mas summary:

In August we loaded the vehicle and went for a two week trip to Europe. Three adults, tents, bags, chairs, table, gas, fridge, cameras etc. and the Cruiser ran smoothly at 70 and 80 mph down the French motorways. Turn off onto mountain gravel roads and Hannibal's Trail and the Cruiser runs equally smoothly, purring away and eating the uneven roads for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bliss. A very good test of what's to come later. Confidence has grown.

Have not done much since then, apart from looking for kit and designing what we want to build and how we want to build it. Have bought a roof-top tent, a Hi-Lift jack and the dual battery monitoring system. Also looking for a fridge (most likely National Luna Weekender 50l) and a roof rack.

Early next year the cruiser will go back in for some more work. I have decided to convert from 24 volt to 12 volt to avoid having three batteries in the vehicle, saving both weight and space. Will also put some protection on, and install a long-range fuel tank and a winch. After that, it is to focus on building the storage in the back.

Wishing you all the very best for the X-mas/the holiday season and a Happy New Year (and may Santa be kind to you all).

See you in 2012.

Viking Explorer

N-reg 80-series 4.2 TD manual
BFG 285/75R16
OME
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Website Reply with quote

All,

Our website is now live. Happy reading.

www.kapp2cape.net

Cheers,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:48    Post subject: More upgrades Reply with quote

Hi there,

February, and the cruiser is now back with the mechanic to have some more work done.

The big question yesterday was whether to go for a winch or not. The one we had agreed to install did not fit, so I had to make a decision on what to do. I reached out to some of my contacts who have done what we are planning to do and asked for their opinion. Result was to not install a winch at this point. The main reasons are these: It saves me money, so I can travel more. It saves me weight. It means I won't get tempted to get into something I cannot get out of without a winch Wink

I am sure there will be more decisions to make next week... I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

April already...

The cruiser runs like a dream. The new bumper is in place, the steering stabiliser protection and transmission protection is in place, recovery points have been welded on the back, and the 12volt conversion is complete. It even has a new stereo! (I'm also looking forward to seeing the face of the petrol cashier when I fill the cruiser up - all 170L!)

The interior is also coming along nicely. I will get around to posting some photos soon. I think I have replanned it three times, but hopefully this time it will be what the final product will look like.

For some reason my batteries are draining post conversion. I'm not sure what it is. I'm planning a call to my mechanic tomorrow to discuss and see if he can give me some tips on what to look for. The dual battery monitor has helped me a couple of times to "jump start" from the second battery, but this is not a long term solution. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I have also realised that the lock cylinders in the doors are getting worn so probably have to have those changed.

I guess all this sounds familiar to some of you...never ending story with modifications, upgrades and repairs...??

Cheers,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the big end bearings been checked on this engine?It is their weak point and can often be doing damge with not much in the way of symptoms.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Have now managed to get quite far with the interior. I have posted some photos in the Modification section.

As for the BEB - I had a complete engine overhaul so although I cannot see the parts on the parts list I am certain my mechanic had a look at them.

Last week we went to a pay and play day with a no-name 4x4 club. We had a very good time, getting the truck nice and muddy. We didn't do anything hugely technical - it was more to maintain driving skills than finding challenges.

I have bough a battery charger and it has now been on for a while. Both batteries fully charged so the next part of the test is to remove the charger and see how quick the power loss is. New batteries have been added to the list of necessary purchases!

Now I need to find a roof rack so I can mount our tent, and a fridge/freezer to keep the brews cold.

Cheers,

BFG 285/75R16
OME
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: