Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

45/47 for Africa overland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnystrom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 23:09    Post subject: 45/47 for Africa overland Reply with quote

Hi. I'm considering shipping an early 80's HJ47 from Australia to the UK to prep for an overland journey across Africa next year. Does anyone have any idea how these compare with the later 70 series for general reliability and ease of repair? Also, am I right in thinking that if the vehicle is 30 years old it will qualify for reduced import duty? Please let me know if you have any experience of importing these. Thanks, John
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 23:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

As  much as I like the 40 series,for a trip like this,I would definately take a 75 series. They are easy to work on,possibly more reliable as they dont have that annoying EDIC or vac pump on the end of the alternator,they have a 5sp as standard and the 1HZ has 25% more power for roughly the same economy.
On top of that they are just more comfortable, the aircon works great and power steering is standard.
Probably 80% of the 47 series have severe rust problems that have often been patched badly,those that dont fetch as much money as a good 75 these days.

There was a reason the 75 replaced the 45/47 series,its just better all round.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
johnnystrom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think you're probably right - a 75 would do nicely, but they and the 45/47 are very hard to find over here! I'm looking into shipping a 75 over, but that's not without its headaches
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still strongly recommend a Patrol of the same vintage.
Or get an 80 series,chop the roof and fit a camper pop top.The money you would save on buying an 80 series would easily cover the cost of the conversion.
You would also have coil springs and probably a turbo engine. A well maintained vehicle wouldnt let you down and you would have the option of inspecting the vehicle before you buy it.
Earlier model 80 series are a one wire engine,no computer etc.

Like this one  http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/584530-campteqs-80-series-pop-top-prototype-3.html
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/584530-campteqs-80-series-pop-top-prototype-3.html
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
johnnystrom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosco. Yes, I've decided to go with an 80 series with pop top/roof tent. They're relatively easy to come by over here, and as you say, not too expensive either. Thanks for the advice, John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: