All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

coverage for off-road use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueRock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41    Post subject: coverage for off-road use Reply with quote

Is it fair to assume that if an insurance contract doesn't exclude off-road usage, then such off-road usage is covered?  For both liability and comprehensive?

Or, am I missing something?

My current policy excludes it, but Endsleigh, for example, does not.  In fact, the contract makes no reference whatsoever to off-road usage.  What they do exclude are:  rallies, competitions, trials, racetracks, circuits, and prepared courses.

My insurance is about to expire and I think it's time to switch.

BlueRock
- diff drop; diff breathers; dual Optima batteries w/ground cable
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

stu58

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find anything that's not on a public highway or a place that has public access (car parks) won't be covered. Best ask the insurer first before you take out the policy.

Stu.
BlueRock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather understand it from a legal standpoint.  
I don't have much confidence in what sales reps might say.  
After all, it's the policy wording that will dictate what the insurance company has to pay.

I've read through two policies, Endsleigh and iGo4, and neither of them states that the car has to be on a 'public highway,' in order to be covered.  
There are no exclusions for being off-road or off a public highway.  (Although, there are exclusions for being on an airfield.)

That said, the 'recovery' policy does required the vehicle to be on 'public highway.'  
But, presumably that has no relevance to the accident coverage.

Is there some legislation or case law that magically changes the meaning of what's written in the policies?

BlueRock
stu58

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies are a law to themselves, you have problems just claiming for a normal run of the mill road accident so I'm sure in the terms road racing, trails etc they'll have a get out clause. I was recently quoted a price and a few days later when I took out the policy the price went up, and all I got was oh sorry they made a mistake, spoke to a supervisor and all I got was well you need not have took the policy, when you've just bought something and your stood at the side of the road at 6 pm where and how can you start phoning around for another quote. I can't write what I think about them  Laughing
So I think if you find some that will cover you get it all in writing, something you'll find difficult for them to do as they don't want to be held responsable for anything that might happen.
BlueRock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu58 wrote:
Insurance companies are a law to themselves, you have problems just claiming for a normal run of the mill road accident...

Indeed.  I've heard plenty of stories about insurance companies not paying, when they should.  That's why I decided not to go comprehensive.  I did the math, and I figure I'm much better off acting as my own insurer!  Besides, I'm not going to argue with myself about whether that steep hill, river bed, or rock formation falls outside the scope of coverage.  Or whether the winch, and all that work I put into my vehicle, is covered too.  Or have to spend hours filling in paperwork and writing letters to supervisors and ombusmen.

But, for the liability coverage, I need to use a real insurance company.  And, if there's any major claim, the lawyers are going to get involved.  In such case, it is the policy wording that will be controlling.  That's what the judge is going to read.  Luckily, where there are ambiguities or grey areas, courts tend to rule so that the insurance company has to pay the victim.
stu58 wrote:
...so I'm sure in the terms road racing, trails etc they'll have a get out clause.

I've seen get out clauses involving 'racing' and 'trials,' but not 'trails!' He he, maybe that's what you meant. Wink
Going off-road does not constitute a race or trial.  

But, are there other ways that an insurance company might try to weasel out of an off-road claim, if they have no explicit exclusion in the contract?

BlueRock
moorsman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a point but just because a road or track is not surfaced it is still classed as a public right of way and if that track is legal to drive on then surely you are still covered .
obviously off prow you would expect a little more difficulty
regards kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: