Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

heater controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluggypitman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 20:12    Post subject: heater controls Reply with quote

Hi guys, bought a low mileage Jap import 2.4 1992 landcruiser 2 in nice nick but need to understand why the heater will not blow hot. This model has air conditioning, but the heater blows at the same cool temp regardless of where the controls are set. The AC control is mounted directly over the fan speed control, the thermostat is intact, and the flow of water to the valve on the bulkhead feels hot to the touch on the flow and return, any ideas ????
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 20:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater matrix is probably full of crud.The coolant maybe flowing through but it is not filling the matrix as it should. If you can work out which way it flows,disconnect both hoses at the bulk head and back flush it with the garden hose.
You often get a big rush of crud flying out the other side
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
pluggypitman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give it a go but have a feeling it is somehow linked to a problem with the AC connections as this vehicle has been very well kept, but the engine has been out to fit a dual mass flywheel, whatever that is, and, according to the literature that came with it, fitted with a ....veggie pump...see diesel bob.....that's what it says, but quite a few chopped wires here and there, can't contact previous owner for info, but defo need this thing to heat up !!!
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no connections between the aircon and heater.The only other thing it could be is that the cables behind the control panel are not connected,but you can usually hear,feel and see them working.
You should be able to see the valve on the heater hose at the firewall open and close when you operate the cable.

A "dual mass flywheel is a 2 piece flywheel" designed to dampen vibration, unfortunately they dont last forever like a solid flywheel.Thank your lucky stars someone else paid for it. Cool

Well kept and chopped wires dont belong in the same sentence. Some owners clean ,polish and baby the car in some areas ,and in others ,they completley neglect/butcher it,either through too much stupid or just a plain lack of knowledge.
Often when doing a coolant change,the person doing it forgets to  open the heater valve ,so the old coolant and crud doesnt get flushed out.Eventually the crud blocks off the top of the heater matrix and the warmed coolant flows over the the top without heating the matrix

The other thing that can stop heat getting through is a faulty thermostat.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the heater valve. It's situated in the engine compartment at the top of the bulkhead.

The fitting of a dual mass flywheel was a bad idea and completely unnecessary.

Roger
pluggypitman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK points taken, was out your way in March, grandaughter just emigrated to Perth, am leaving her my Jag Etype I've had from new in 1969, and my Egli Vincent....don't think she'll want the Landcruiser as she has a jacked up Nissan Patrol....not in the same class in my opinion....
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the engine heat up to approx the half way mark in cold weather?

If not, change the stat.

My heater and engine temp was fine in the summer, first cold winter and the engine temp stayed low and the heater blew cold - when I checked, there was no stat. Defective stat would do the same.

Pete
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggie pump - is this a pre-heater for svo or similar.

Maybe the heater pipes havent been put back correctly?

Pete
pluggypitman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater gauge goes right round the face as soon as it warms up, so looks like wrong sender has been fitted. The veggie pump....that's how it was described, is a mystery to me, I cannot see a pre heat anywhere, anyway, I ran my Hi Lux for thirteen years on kero and filtered cooking oil with no problems....will have to look up this   Diesel Bob they mentioned for possible enlightenment....checking the stat in the morning...but the pipes are all hot to grasp, inc the return flow...
wobbly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the pump has been replaced with something from these folks:

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.aspx

Would suggest its been run on veg oil.

Maybe you can tell by comparing it to the photos on the website.

Back to the main issue - I would put a new genuine Toyota stat in - may not make any difference but the cooling sysytem on these is uber-critical, they crack heads far too easily.

If the coolant temp gauge isnt working then it needs fixing asap, for the same reason as above, its the only warning you will get that you have an overheating system.

Check the oil for any signs of emulsification, need to make sure there is no coolant in the oil.

Entirely possible it hasnt had the cooling system bled properly, but why would it have needed it?

Roscos idea of a hosepipe is a good start, see what comes out.  Could also be that there is a problem with the control on the diverter box on the pipes at the back of the engine bay - try moving the hot/cold lever and then checking that it has moved at the other end.

Cheers

Pete
sdimple387

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i like it and it is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: