All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bio Diesel Vs Filtered WVO - 1KZ-TE - LC3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Bio Diesel Vs Filtered WVO - 1KZ-TE - LC3 Reply with quote

Whats is the acceptable veggie based based fuel for 1998 MY 90 Series Landcruiser with the indirect injection 1KZ-TE 3.0 TD engine?

I can get pre filtered WVO for 68p a litre, or pre made BioDiesel for £1 litre, or trawl chippys and takeaways in the hope of free WVO (Not a lot of chance these days...)

I have 3 routes I could take, but not sure of the best route to take??  Confused

1.  Buy a simple processor to boil either free or 68p litre WVO to 120 deg C to dewater and drain off bottom 5% to remove bits and water. Filter & pour into storage once cooled. Then use in car.

2.  Buy a more complex BioDiesel processor and use either 68p or free WVO. Boil up to 90 deg C, dewater, titrate and add methoxide in a set defined process (Graham Laming process). Lose 20% of volume through Glycerine & soap removal. Filter & pour into storage once cooled. Then use in car.

3.  Buy BioDiesel made from recycled WVO from commercial supplier at £1 a litre, and filter before pouring into car (sometimes it does come with bits in)

Which of these works the best and is the cheapest, as a consensus of opinion?

I will install a Glow plug pre heater with relay and dash switch for starting on veg, and also a water heated exchange unit for use once engine is running and coolant is warmed up. Shouldnt require this for BioD, but would have to see.

Just unsure as to the best option. I have various friends who all swear by their particular choice, I just want some extra opinions before use.
I know to change the oil every 3000 to 35000 miles when on veg, and that fuel filters will need changing more often.

Any knowledge that can be shared would be a great help.  Very Happy
Thank you.
Chris

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nathanrobo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is 5 months old, but for those who come looking... WVO is likely to cause polymerisation probe!  Well made bio won't.

I've run my 100 series with fly-by-wire DI for over 4 years on 100% bio and save for a problem that I had early on, due to poor filtration / polishing, it runs perfectly and you can't tell the difference (cetane boosted with bioboost 1000 and winterised in sub-zero temps).

PM me if you have any questions.  I've been making bio for over 5 years now and I've built my own processors, collaborated with others to improve the process and help others begin.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; will bear that in mind for when my Graham Laming based contraption is completed.

I see that you are also on vegoildiesel forum; no doubt when my first batch turns to jelly and custard; you will be able to reply on there too!!

I am on SVO at the moment; a local place a mate works has it in stock; its all food destroyed stock that cant be cooked with. Works terrific in the truck though; mixed VERY carefully measured out petrol, acetone & boost stuff.

Havent made any great endeavors to stock up on supplies of WVO yet; I got fed up of trying to filter custard in minus temperatures...

The 4.2 TDI engine is a lot more advanced than the 3.0TD IDI thats in my Colorado; the consensus is that indirect injection diesels dont suffer with polymerisation to the same extent as direct injections (as from the Bio Powrede Wiki page)

I do keep an incredibly close eye on oil level, oil quality and also the coolant reservoir (as suggested), and change oil & filter every 3K.
Also the note the engine makes when its first turned over from cold; ring gummed engines make an odd sound apparently; like a dull cough, as the rings scrape the gummed up bores.
No idea on that one.

Will be in touch when in finishing stages of biodiesel processor & WVO collection.
Any step improvements I can make over the GL diagram from vegoildiesel?
Ta

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

HairyWookie wrote:
Interesting; will bear that in mind for when my Graham Laming based contraption is completed.

I see that you are also on vegoildiesel forum; no doubt when my first batch turns to jelly and custard; you will be able to reply on there too!!

I am on SVO at the moment; a local place a mate works has it in stock; its all food destroyed stock that cant be cooked with. Works terrific in the truck though; mixed VERY carefully measured out petrol, acetone & boost stuff.

Havent made any great endeavors to stock up on supplies of WVO yet; I got fed up of trying to filter custard in minus temperatures...

The 4.2 TDI engine is a lot more advanced than the 3.0TD IDI thats in my Colorado; the consensus is that indirect injection diesels dont suffer with polymerisation to the same extent as direct injections (as from the Bio Powrede Wiki page)

I do keep an incredibly close eye on oil level, oil quality and also the coolant reservoir (as suggested), and change oil & filter every 3K.
Also the note the engine makes when its first turned over from cold; ring gummed engines make an odd sound apparently; like a dull cough, as the rings scrape the gummed up bores.
No idea on that one.

Will be in touch when in finishing stages of biodiesel processor & WVO collection.
Any step improvements I can make over the GL diagram from vegoildiesel?
Ta

Sounds like you've researched your info well and that's half the battle!  Please feel free to give me a call (pm me for my number) ref the GL Eco design principle, as it's more of a principle than design.   Things have moved along a little since Graham Laming and your machine may be slightly different to take account of this.
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be of interest that there's a thread over on the dark side (other LC forum).  It's pretty interesting with Karl who gave up using veg oil some time ago (ring gumming on his 80 series and Audi A6), moving to bio.  The thread details the ease of making his first batch, others who have contributed with ideas for automation, there are pics showing the plant, ideas for different methods such as a spray bar ring for drying and options such as a single tank design, where the user has limited space and a three tank design which eliminates some of the bottle necks and allows you to produce 3 batches x 180 litres in a single day.  4 or 5 such sessions and you'd  have made your year's allowance of 2500 litres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: