4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1974 FJ45- NEW TO THIS

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:35    Post subject: 1974 FJ45- NEW TO THIS Reply with quote

Hi,

This is obviously my first post and I am looking for any help and support that any of you maybe able to give...

My husband turns 40 next January and I have just bought a 1974 FJ45 for his birthday, it needs renovating although I'm buying it from Aus so the body is pretty much rust free.  He has two mates that are going to help me with the project, one of them is okay with oily bits and the other is happy to have a go and is pretty practical- I'm going to be getting my hands dirty too but my skills lie more in the research, planning side.

So, where do I start?

The buck has already been renovated; it appears original- I've seen others with the same, the sides as well as the back drop down.  It's got a 4.1 straight 6- I don't know if it's original but it was bought from a farm and has 25K on the clock.  The cab is okay a few bumps but nothing that looks serious- I'm looking to keep it very original so am looking for help sourcing parts, knobs and original stickers, I'd also like to try and get hold of some original paperwork?

I'm looking into the idea of putting a V8 in?  Any thoughts.....

Basically, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

spackrackman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great present.  Do you have a picture that we can see?  Personally I would not go down the V8 route, I do not think it does much for value and The land cruisers from this era look far better original.  I would take the straight 6 petrol out and put a diesel in.  If you get one from a 60 series you can get yourself a 5 speed box also and it should pretty much fit right in. I am currently doing this to a 55 series that i also bought over from OZ.

Sounds like a great project. When does it arrive?
stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, the site won't let me post pictures yet?

The guy I have bought it off is great and is collecting a few 'bits' together to send over with the truck, so I think by the time we sort it, it will be the end of March ish? Which will give me 8 months to get it done!!!

Thanks for the advise on the engine- do you know any good places to get parts and what not?

Thanks.
spackrackman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I assume you are having it shipped in a container?  They do not allow parts to be put in the back of RORO ships (roll on roll off). Did you find it on e bay OZ? I have bought three now and probably will import another one soon.  When you get it I should be able to help you with some parts or if not where you can source them from. Has he any idea at all?

Jonnie
rob4wd
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there

congrats on your potential  purchase.

I would disagree with changing the engine at all unless your going to do serious milage and you won't want to in the 45. they are great as toys but not daily drivers. I've had one by the way.

the 4230 in it is a great lump, suits it and more importantly was put in it by the manufacturer. you will have enough to do in registering, approval and insuring it without changing its fuel or cc.

just my opinion.

some spares still from dealer otherwise, sor.com, man-a -fre, cruisercorps, or jt outfitters will all take your money (dollars)

good luck and keep us informed.

btw jonnie- I just brought in a 55 from aus!

regards  rob
stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

spackrackman wrote:
Hi, I assume you are having it shipped in a container?  They do not allow parts to be put in the back of RORO ships (roll on roll off). Did you find it on e bay OZ? I have bought three now and probably will import another one soon.  When you get it I should be able to help you with some parts or if not where you can source them from. Has he any idea at all?

Jonnie

Hi, yes shipped in a container. I can only really guess at the moment about what I want to/need to do, but will be in touch when it gets here thanks.  I'm just so damn excited! He has no idea at the moment, we have talked about him getting something oily but he likes so many types of vehicle, so I just did some research and made a choice!  I hope he likes it  Shocked
spackrackman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Rob, if the engine is all there the 6 cylinder is a very nice engine.  Purrrrrsss... but you can make that decision when it arrives.  Yes keep in touch.

A very cool wife!

Jonnie
stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Not an everyday car, just for fun.  Okay well, I think I'll leave the engine alone, if hubby wants to change it after he can, that'll save some money anyway.  

Thanks for the links I'll have a look.

As you've just imported one any tips?  Any expenses you weren't expecting from research?

Thanks
Steph
spackrackman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the sting at customs. Prepare for 500 to 800 quid and then I have to pay another couple of hundred to get it shipped home.  I use an agent who deals with it all, they do not seem to charge much and for ease its great. It just appears at home.
stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

About what I thought then, thanks.

I'm sure there was an easier way....
rob4wd
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steph,

i'll try and dig out some pics of my 45- it was a while ago before digital camaras were comman but I'll scan some photos.

I did roro cost about 1600ish for the ride and around 700ish for port charges and customs duties. these are levied on the value of the vehicle and it's transport including getting it to Melbourne. I paid my seller some officially and some on the side to keep the vat down.

if your using a container exclusively it's going to get spendy. if you can share (I think 2xlwb or 3xswb fit) then you're quids in.

your hubbies a lucky guy!

can you tell us any more about what you are considering

rob

nb ih8mud is your friend
stuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I'd love to see some pics, I'm pretty much addicted to looking at photo's at the moment...and specs!  Hubby thinks I'm on facebook and emailing girlfriends! I love IH8MUD, I'm reading 'Saving the old Rustbucke't at the moment.

I wish I could upload a pic!  It looks really good, but the ex-owner has just refurbed the buck so I want to have to do the cab, the guys I've roped in are actually more capable then I made them out (maybe) I reckon they can strip it and prepare it for paint and then I'll have that done professionally.  The guy who is selling it has been great and has helped arrange the shipping (he's from the UK originally) and I am sharing a container, also he's dropping it at the dock for me- the shipping company have been great too.  The interior is my baby and I'm determined to track down and refurb it originally.  Any ideas about a stereo system?

Here's a clip from his ad "New rear brake shoes-rear wheel cylinders-brake hoses-engine mounts-recon fuel tank(as new)-new shocks-swaybar-shackle bushes-brake master cylinder-replacement carby and kit-safety cert-new rubber floor as per original($200)- new heavy duty battery($250) in total I have spent $3800.00 on it, only had the chance to drive it about 100kms since June last year, have all the receipts for the work."  The boys are going to tell me about the oily bits...

I hope hubby thinks he's lucky, I'm sure he will really, but I'm worried I'm having way too much fun Smile I like cars/ trucks but I'm already thinking I need a 40!!!  

Thanks for your advise.
spackrackman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention your sharing a container?  Is that something you organised or the shipping company did?  I would be interested in what company you used? Are they packing (or have) packed the container seeing your not there? Was the gentleman you bought the truck off allowed to just dump stuff at there offices or was he involved in the packing?   Just so I can get an idea of what I can do when e bay pops up another truck I like.

Jonnie
stuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all been arranged by the guy in Austrailia for me.
rob4wd
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I like cars/ trucks but I'm already thinking I need a 40!!!  

yep everybody needs a 40

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spoqsmk8ppk87bm/MM3_1444.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgbmnf1y1ftkrcl/2012-10-07%2014.21.29.jpg

regards

rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: