4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Draughty Amazon ventilation is driving me mad!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyada3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 23:44    Post subject: Draughty Amazon ventilation is driving me mad! Reply with quote

I have been driving a 2001 model Amazon VX 4.2TD (manual) for the last 18 months and in every respect but one it is a fantastic car. The one problem I have is with the ventilation.

I find that it is impossible to get draught free ventilation - particularly on the driver’s side especially at head height. If the fan is "on", it is very draughty and the cabin quickly gets stuffy. Even with the fan set in the “off” position, then at motorway speeds, there is an uncomfortable blast of air from the ventilation. If the air recirculation vent is closed, then the car quickly cools down and the windows fog up. Also, even at low speeds and with the air recirculation vent closed, there appears to be a cold draught coming from the driver’s door area. The car has been examined by the garage three times and by Toyota once. They could only recommend replacing the door seal - which they did but with no effect.

I've tried every combination of fan setting, air recirculation, air conditioning, but all to no effect. I even tried sealing up the vents on the rear pillars of the vehicle (which seem to be there to relieve air pressure when the doors are slammed) - but that didn't work either.

If I can't get this fixed, I think I might have to sell the car. But before I resort to desperate measures, can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how I can cure it?

By the way, I think the site is excellent - well done to whoever started it up.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 23:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The Proff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question - do you have climate control, or is the ventilation and A/C switched manually?

If manual, are you running the A/C without any heating? Car A/C systems are just cooling, and seem to be either on/off or just a few stages of cooling, which need to be trimmed with the car's heater.

Can you switch on/off the feed to the windscreen vents?

I have to admit that my Cruiser is a 1996 model, with climate control, but apart from a bit of cool air soon after I start it in the morning, it then pumps in a lot of warm air until the cabin temperature settles.

Under full climate control the A/C unit still switches on and off (at idle the engine revs increase by about 100 rpm), even with low outside temperatures. From my experience of controlling HVAC in buildings, I believe that this isn't really necessary - the cool outside air should be enough.

One last thought - with mine, when the temperature settles, there is usually a stream of slightly cooler air passing through. This compensates for warmth generated within the cabin, usually by the sun shining through the windows - 'greenhouse' effect. To me this isn't cold enough to call a 'draft'!
wyada3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 21:44    Post subject: Reply to the reply about my ventilation problem Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.

The vehicle does have climate control - I usually switch it off because it's not often hot enough outside to need artificial cooling. However, whether climate control is on or off, I still get the draught problem. It is possible to switch off the air feed to the windscreen vents. The draught still remains even if I do this, though. In fact I haven't been able to find a combination of vents open / closed which gets around the problem.

If anyone has any more ideas - I'd be delighted to hear them as the problem is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: