Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

I don't believe it !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 22:31    Post subject: I don't believe it ! Reply with quote

It seems I'm jinxed !

I think my LC120 post in 08, on the LC120 forum, about my engine failure due to the infamous injector seals, was 1 of, if not the earliest post about that type of failure. Anycase, due to the expense involved we kept our LC120 a little longer than usual to get some money out of it and the new engine.

So move to 3yrs later, last week decided that it was time to change, went to a Toyota dealer and tried the LC and the LCV8.

LCV8 very nice car, but just enormous, to heavy and loos like limited tyre options on the fancy alloys, so decided to plump for an LC for as new and as high spec as could afford. So found an 11 plate LC 5 60th anniversary model, which would do nicely.

Anycase, last Friday picked it up, for the long drive home (500+ miles) when only after about a couple of hours it seemed to loose power and wouldn't rev above 2500rpm, 300mls from home. Then the auto box kicked down into 4th, wouldn't select 5th with the engine @ 3500rpm. Pulled in, reset everything, took off, but still wouldn't go to 5th, then middle lane of the motorway it cut out, luckily managed to coast to the hard shoulder.

Called the Toyota garage, but little options at the roadside, this was Friday last week when the ad snow was arriving, and it did where I was, so called the recovery people and 5hrs+ was the estimate due to the increased calls against the weather.

Decided to try and keeping moving until the LC really gave up, and with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, spent 250mls @ 40mph, on the motorway in snow conditions, until I got home early hours.

Dropped the car into my local Toyota dealer, with the diagnosis of a faulty/failed cat, never been seen before, and mines  the first, lucky me!

Anycase, after only owning for a few short hours, wont see again for another 10 or so days until a new cat arrives, meantime Toyota agreed to fit the tow bar FOC to compensate, which it seems is quite a large job on these new models.

After all the trouble of my last LC, the beginnings of this relationship, for the early part are a bit tempestuous, but I can't get away from liking these machines, so hopefully this is an isolated event, and Toyota have helped out as much as they can.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 22:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aroscow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky!!

That must have played on your mind on that long slow drive.

Hope it's sorted soon and then remains trouble free.
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing .... never read the like ... even on Pradopoint.  Touch wood my 2009 LC4150 with just 30,000 miles is doing OK 'gulp'!.  How many miles were on the clock?  Shocked
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it's just me !

It's only done 23k, I'd some concerns about flooding type damage, but the car is so clean, once they get the cat off, should have a better idea why it's failed so early, but can't say I'm not a little worried about it, if the source of the fault cannot be fully rooted out.

I didn't part ex my existing LC5, so luckily I did have another car to use, that is until the power steering just failed yesterday, thinks its the pump, ho hum...........
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief - one thing after another....!  

Just to cheer you up  Mad  you probably know the tail shift clunk has carried over from the 120 as has the injection seal problem according to some on Pradopoint....  Rolling Eyes

I've got the occasional tail shift clunk - that gave me the 'willies' the other day after doing a spot of reversing etc up a steep slope - 'WTF was that I thought' - then I remembered.  Only happens occasionally and very rarely on normal driving so can't be *beep* to make a fuss about it - was even rarer on my previous 120.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: