4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Battery split question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePiper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:55    Post subject: Battery split question Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has already been covered on the forum - I tired a search but couldn't really get anywhere.

I'm going for a three week blast on the continent at the end of the summer and wanted some advice on options for powering electrics without running both batteries flat.  My electrical knowledge is absolutely zip so I apologise for sounding like a numpty!  Before coming the forum I tried to find someone local to help and was told by a place that came highly recommended that my car would never start on one battery.  I know this is nonsense from all I've read and having ran on one battery in the past.

Basically I will be running a small fridge and have an inverter so that I can occasionally use some other electrical items.  What is the best (easiest and most economical) way to ensure that these items will work but I won't be left with a dead battery some morning.  I'm prepared to pay for the right system as long as long as it's not too expensive of course.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.  Oh, it's a Colorado 3.0TD.

Thanks
Ryan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct; the second battery is usually only fitted as part of some sort of a Winter pack. Many Hilux Surfs with 1KZ-TE 3.0 TD engine only have one battery, of the same size as one on the LC (roughly 750 CCA or so) and they start & run fine.

The batteries are wired in parallel to each other, so share the burden of starting & running accessories.

They can be split though, and then use a split charge relay to charge the aux battery whenever the engine is running (same as for the white 12S plug for caravans, horse box lighting, etc).
They come as self switching (easier to wire);
http://www.towsure.com/product/Towbar_Split_Charge_Relay_Wiring_Kit_Self_Switching

Or manual, with a feed from an ignition live (cigarette socket for LCs is OK)
http://www.towsure.com/product/FridgeBattery_Combination_Relay

Another option is to fit a leisure battery (probably a small 75 AH will suffice) in a box underneath car (loads of space on offside, aft & side of transfer box) and charge this with split charge relay via a fuse with line from battery.
http://www.towsure.com/category/Batteries_3
http://www.towsure.com/product/Battery_Holding_Box

For connection, you dont state whether you have a towbar or not. If you do, I would have the white plug fitted, with suitable fuse, then use this a simple plug point.
If not, a standard 2 way 12V, 20A connection point (similar to the type the RAC or AA use for jump starting) will suffice.
http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/mate-n-lok-universal-connector-pair-2-way.html?gclid=CIiY4tXStb8CFQrJtAodMVcAZg

All depends how many Amps you are going to draw to power your invertor as to fuse sizes, cable sizes, connector ratings etc.
A 12V, 75 Amp Hour battery will supply 15 Amps for 5 hours, given ideal conditions & a full charge, as an example.

Only ideas...

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
ThePiper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great help thanks.

So if I was to fit the self switching split charge that you recommended, and possibly replace one of the batteries with a deep cycle battery you think this would be a good set up?  This may be a very very stupid question, but is it better to replace the battery on one side more than the other?  Also, is there a way to monitor battery levels so I can see if either are starting to drain badly?

The fridges/coolboxes that I'd be looking at are pretty small and simple (not enough cash for the bigger ones I'm afraid).  Something like this perhaps: Mobicool G35.

I was thinking that this could be run straight from the cigarette lighter in the boot.  Is this not a good idea?

Other than the fridge, the only other electrical would be a laptop charger and possibly the wife's hair dryer (I know, it's supposed to be camping!) and for these I was planning to use a power inverter as we already have one here and plugging that again into one of the cigarette lighters.

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: