All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New tyres for winter - recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15    Post subject: New tyres for winter - recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently driving a 2005 LC5 which is still using the OEM 265/65R17 Dunlop AT20s.  These are getting fairly low on tread front and back, and I'm looking to replace all 4 before the snow hits here.

The Dunlops did brilliantly last year.  With around 3-4mm of tread all round, they allowed me to get through most of what the winter could throw at me (drifts up to bonnet height, climbing over fairly steep packed snow/ice, staying reasonably straight through ugly slush), and my typical drive home is 1/2 mile of hilly dirt road, 1/2 mile of rarely treated tarmac, then 6 miles of 60 (or 70-80) mph North Scotland A road.  I had to use a shovel a few times to break up the icy stuff under them, but my I had fewer problems than my neighbour's Trooper on full mud terrains with winch etc, and that's what counts Smile

I want to stick to an AT tyre.  I bought the car with around 20,000 miles and good tyres all round.  I had to replace the fronts at 43,000, and that's been it.  I suspect that I'm getting 60,000 out of the rears and 20,000 out of the fronts, and I'm happy enough with the mileage and grip to go for another set of AT20s.  However, I'm also looking at the Michelin Latitude Cross which seem to have more tread on the sidewall (which could be handy if I decide to drop the pressures rather than get the spade out) or Bridgestone R694s.  Don't have a price on the bridgestones as yet, but I'm looking around 149 for the Dunlops or 164 for the Michelins locally.  

Any comments or experience appreicated.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jazbee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, I just fitted General Grabber AT2's and very happy with them. Much better than the stock Grandtrek's and a much better winter tyre for where we live  Shocked
I got them from McConnechy's but Sillets could also get them. Go for 265 x 70 x 17. They llok better on the car as well Very Happy
StormLJ70

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted a set of General Grabber AT2 to my LJ70 and they are excellent, mine are 31 x 10.5 x 15r, look like they will cope with the snow no proplem.

LJ70 Land Cruiser 2.4 VX 1988 Project
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.  Just got the Michelins fitted on Saturday.  Will post how they do once I've had the worst of each section of my drive over winter.  They're still pretty blocky for all terrain tyres, certainly more so than the AT20s, but it's the depth of tread on the sidewalls that made me go for these.  

Looks like I got 60k out of the AT20 rears btw.  The rubber between the treads was starting to perish.  Given what they (and the LC) got me through, I'd go for them again no problems.
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me now been on most of what the winter here can throw at me on the Michelins and they've been brilliant.  Easily getting through 1ft of snow + lowish drifts, hard packed, ungritted hills, and very impressive going up fairly steep uphills (no clue of the gradient - not extreme, just fairly steep) on last night's freezing rain-covered tarmac and dirt roads.  Which is good, as I had a really hard time walking on it last night...
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one thing I would say is that I preferred the AT20s for on-road.  tbh, I've still to confirm the tyre pressures in the Latitudes, but I asked for them to be put up to 34 (vs Toyota's recommended 28 or 29).  Feels like the sidewalls are kinda squishy in comparison to the AT20s.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a LC5 on Bridgestone 694s and they've been fantastic. £145 each fitted. Will be interesting to see what the mileage is like in a year or two when appreciable wear kicks in.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Re: New tyres for winter - recommendations? Reply with quote

StuWhitby wrote:
I suspect that I'm getting 60,000 out of the rears and 20,000 out of the fronts

Stu, there have been some interesting discussions lately about replacing tyres as a set of 4.

Not something I had considered myself (I just replaced all 4 because I had to). But worth thinking of rotating the tyres to get even wear. I've started doing mine every oil change.
Trevski
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my Dunflops needed changing, I went for the Grabber AT2 after reading loads of posts on tyres. Did a phone deal with Blackcircles as I wanted a set of 5 and I think they came in at £110 -£115 each. I have found no difference in handling on tarmac and superb grip in mud and snow. After experimenting a bit I have settled on 36PSI.

Grabber sizing are 270x70x17 and fit on the same rims without any issues once on the car and the spare still fits underneath.

Good AT tyre in my view for the money without spending out at BFG prices for an almost identical tread pattern.
DavidinDevon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put Toyo Open Country A/T on my 2008 Invincible.  34/32 pressures to start with and so far, all good.

David

Used to be a Colorado 3.0TD VX but now it's a big 120 series Invincible.  With Toyo tyres.  Chuffed.
Ecoman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of 305 70 16 Hankook Dynapro MTs. Gouldn't seem to get grip in the white stuff. Just fitted a set of 285 75 16 General Grabber AT2s as a replacment....WOW! What a difference. I'm begiinning to fall in love with it all over again. I can highly recommend them Very Happy
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, were the Hankooks seriously worn or simply pathetic in the snow?
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd round out this post.  Got 45,000 miles out of the Michelins before aquaplaning started becoming an issue (joys of the Scottish summer).  They were okay, but I preferred the stock Dunlops.  Not much snow last winter when the tread was getting low, but I have no complaints at all about their handling of mud & snow.  They're fairly quiet on road and once the pressures are up, they handle fine (36psi).  However with all of the recommendations for the General Grabbers, that's what I'm fitting next.

Thanks for the advice guys.  See you in another few years when something needs replacing.  Or I could get a Landy & start posting regularly Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: