NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Guildford Inchcape Toyota Dealership

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Garages / Servicing Agents / Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anaconda1989

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Guildford Inchcape Toyota Dealership Reply with quote

Hello to all you lovely people,

I'm a new member and I thought I'd kick off by spreading some good KARMA  Very Happy  Idea

This post is with specific regard to the work carried at out @ Inchcape Toyota Guildford - last week, in connection with a Toyota LC "Oil Strainer Recall" on my 2007 LC4 3.0 D4D engine with 30,600 miles on the clock.
I bought the vehicle from Guildford Toyota in 08/2010 with 17,000 miles

Approx 2 weeks ago I was given the heads up on the injector seat/oil strainer issue, by a 55 plate LC owner in a Farnborough car park,
to whom I would like to extend my deep gratitude should you stumble across this post.

After her warning on the copper injector seats, and the possible catastrophic consequences, which they had suffered, I contacted Guildford Slyfield - Sly in name but not in nature, as it turns out from my experience Very Happy
I told them I'd been given the heads up and wanted to know from them what was going on.
They informed me that there was a recall out for my vehicle for the Oil Strainer and I should book it in...
(So why did no-one from Toyota contact me??? Evil or Very Mad )

Anyway I'm going to cut this long story as short as poss.
They had my LC4 for 2 days but I pretty much came up trumps.
I spoke with the Chief Tech when I took it in and told him about the rattle I had from cold which had to be injectors.
He agreed to check them, and if needed replace them at the same time as fitting the new alli injector washer/seats
I was told that when they checked the seats they would be able to tell if they had been leaking and if any further inspection in the sump
i.e for a blocked oil strainer, was necessary.
I requested that they drain the oil, remove the sump and photograph the oil strainer gauze even if the copper seals were ok and they assumed that the oil strainer would be as clean as the proverbial.
I (stupidly) offered to pay for the new sump gasket and the labour if they covered the cost of new oil and filter.
So Chiefy gave me a quote of approx. £50.00 for the sump removal and refit and they'd cover the rest.
But with hindsight how can you really be doing a proper job if you don't change and check the oil and filters and the oil strainer....it is called the Oil Strainer Recal!!! Rolling Eyes

Work was carried out - injectors removed and tested
Chiefy agreed that there was a rattle/knocking from the engine  - which is usually symptomatic of inject probs.
Injector calibration and other specs were found to be out and the nozzles coated in thick carbon.

Net result is, they replaced the injectors with 4 new modified injectors - new injectors £450.00 each = £1,800.00
and did the copper to alluminium washers at the same time.

They dropped the sump & checked the oil - took the pics of the mesh on the oil strainer/pick up as I requested - and did the oil & filter change
They swapped my wheels (which have the *beep* AT20s tires after 4000 miles - I only get 8,000 miles out of them!) from back to front, & cleaned her inside and out.
And they charged me just £75.00 total inc. VAT

I got to check the 4 old injectors which chiefy showed to me and the 4 copper washers to make sure the washers hadn't failed,
cheify assured me they hadn't failed,
which means that it was belt & braces to check the sump and the pick up/oil strainer.....but I'm glad I got them to do it and with pics.

So I got very lucky - got shot of the *beep* injectors, got the washers/seats done, oil and filter change, got peace of mind after a bit of a scare, and an now have LC4 which hums rather than rattles......

(I have even noticed a difference when stopped at the lights, i.e. that when still in drive with my foot on the brakes she no longer has vibrations on the automatic gear stick - so I don't need to put her into neutral.
And so much quieter now from cold and also when warmed up - and she wasn't that bad before  Very Happy )
I have also noticed better fuel economy now too  Smile

The service bod at Guildford did try to charge me for the oil and filter change when I went back to pick her up,
but with out any luck since I directed him to Chiefy and our pre-recall work/price agreement . 
And I got to inspect both the sump via their pics - which I saw on the camera @ the dealership and which were emailed to me
and the injectors & washers for myself - for which I was most grateful.

So the moral of this story is, that I was able to go to Mr T. forewarned which in my book is forearmed
and fully informed thanks to my good samaritan and the numerous posts on this topic on this site and others
and I was thus able to employ the 5 Ps  - Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

I hope with this post to have passed some useful info/ammunition on to others before any more LCs go bang - and all for the want of 4 new alli washers!!

Contact your dealers or Guildford Toyota and get them to check the washers and the injectors too if you have engine rattle - even just for 2-3 minutes from cold - which was my case in point.
And get them to do a sump /oil pick up inspection out of basic professional mechanical procedure and you should also get your oil and filter change done FOC
All in all, a very handy mid service - service for #75.00
Oh.. and I think they retuned the ECU too boot - essential when swapping injectors I believe.
So I'm a happy chappy thanks to the nod in the Farnborough car park, and now you can be too!

anaconda1989 -----------------LC4 2007---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by anaconda1989 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 15:19; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good experience from Inchcape Toyota in Sandhurst too.

Inchcape and Toyota have a long association - until 2000, Inchcape owned 49% of Toyota GB
anaconda1989

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this post, i now use the toyota dealership at Sandhurst over the one at Guildford sdespite the fact I bught my 2007 LC04 from them and they did do the recal work after I asked them too..
Two main reasons for this -
1. As of June 2014 I have owned a Petrol 1999 Amazon V8 VX 100 series in addition to the LCO4 i bought at Guildford Inchape Toyota and Sandhurst were good with getting the Amazon serviced and doing some extra bit and bobs at a fairly reasonable price, although it has only done a genuine 44,000 mile Smile
2, I found that Guildford weren't and had never greased the UJs on the props when I had taken it to them for a service!!!

I now both service the vehicle myself and get Inchcape Sandhurst to do a bit to get the dealer stamp for re-sale value mainly.

If I lived closer to Hereford i'd use these guys, overland-cruisers - check their website.
marlot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha - I moved from Camberley to Worcester last year, so have moved to Overland Cruisers.  The first question on booking it in was "have the injector seals been changed".
marlot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

anaconda1989 wrote:
.. I found that Guildford weren't and had never greased the UJs on the props when I had taken it to them for a service!!!...

I used to specifically request the UJs got greased.  Just in case!

I only had one gripe with Sandhurst.  I took my wife's Yaris in for a puncture repair (supposed to be free at all Toyota garages) and they said it was too close to the sidewall (was in the tread).  Mostly because I think they couldn't be bothered.  The local tyre fitter did it no problem at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Garages / Servicing Agents / Mechanics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: