2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Moving to Land-Rover.... Discovery 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerlandcruiser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction:

Pre 2012 LR Disco I believe is £500 road tax (my bro's is) as opposed to the LC which is £290

Roger Land Cruiser

2011 plate 60th Anniversary LC in Astral Black

Mods: LED internal lighting replacement and LED side lights/Rear number plate Illumination.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy .. had my Discovery since July and what a great car it is to drive, smooth and quiet ... love it!! - so different when I compare it to the diesel rattle, lack lustre performance, and unsettled ride of my outgoing Lc4 2009.

As far as the economics go - £655 for 5 year service plan, Road Tax £290.  As far as 'Landcover Hell ' website, I understand that if someone tries to post a more balanced or dare I say positive review .... it never gets published so I'm told.

As far my personal economic situation is concerned am hoping to be able to chop it in after 3 years .... but will see - a lot can happen before then!

Having said all that - the car itself is at a JLR approved bodyshop in Exeter somewhere for a couple of original paint blemishes to be corrected Rolling Eyes but to be honest there were a number on my year old Lc4 150 when I bought it ... but as it was 'secondhand' so to speak, left it alone as it already had a few scratches and bird poo stains.

Having bought brand new - I felt different and want it to be 'perfect'.  As far as having to remove the engine etc to replace a diff. sensor  Shocked ... I think the garage was trying to pull a fast one!!  Confused

Still ..... early days and we shall see how it pans out - but to drive its a Dream!!
farmerboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just moved in the opposite direction after a cracked oil pulp casing on a 33000 miles Disco 3.....  I was lucky - if it had gone completely it would have trashed the engine - and it has for many unlucky owners...  I now have an LC 120 and although it is agricultural in comparison and frankly a bit boring it does what it was designed to do - gets me from a to b reliably.  I would never entertain buying another Land Rover after 10 years of ownership.  The only benefit of owning my various Land Rovers was making me into a DIY mechanic......... always something to fix!
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have moved on from what I have read and the D4 is a much more reliable and competent vehicle (I hope!!).  I'm amazed by the quietness, power and ride quality compared to my Landcruiser.  No regrets so far...... thumbup
jamie850

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the D3 and D4 and having had a chance to do a off road day in a D4 a few years ago I was sure I'd get a disco when I was ready to buy. Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time (total money pit, always something breaking, diffs, head gaskets, gearbox but always got me where I needed to go) and loved the cabin of D4. Its a great car on the road and the V6 diesel is a great powerful engine. Love the HSE with the alpine roof and center fridge.
However looking at 8-9year old cars in my budget I just saw problems and breakdowns. I'm not so much bothered by the bills as stuff like this costs money to run I understand but the breakdowns were always "leave you stranded" type breakdowns. I'd always be worried on long trips away.
I know too many guys at work, who are spending 50k on a disco or rangerover, only for me to drive past them on way home while they are broken down. Brand new cars in the dealer 8 or 10 times in the first year. Sure tehre are good ones but with my luck I'd get the friday afternoon car!
When it was time to put my money where my mouth was it was the LC120 I ended up with. Liked the 150 alot and test drove one but the 120 was half the price and drove nearly as nicely.
6weeks into ownership I've had a knackered alternator stopping the car starting and a rusty fuel filler pipe that needed replacement. So not exactly had a smooth intro to the Toyota reliability but it was a second hand car so stuff happens. In a few years I'll be able to tell if I made the right choice I suppose!
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy   I think I too would be twitchy at buying an 8-9 yr old whatever it was - but especially a Land Rover at that age ...... depending on it's history - it would have to be off someone from the DISCO4 forum without a doubt!!!!  Likewise with that age Land Cruiser to be fair - although there is far less to go wrong in a Land Cruiser.... at a penalty of course!!  - whistle - ...
filsgreen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your Disco, especially with getting it insured.  I was going to buy a Disco 4 but when I tried to get it insured, very few wanted to insure my. A Keith Michael agent told me they are not insuring L Rs, as 52000 were stolen in the last year, he said there will be a glut on the market next year as three top insurance brokers have stopped insuring them. He said, of the 52000, only 2%% were recovered.  Trackers indicated that stolen vehicles were in Russia, East Africa and the Middle East.   As a consequence of that conversation, I chose to buy a 150, 13 plate LC5 from Steve Eagell in Tamworth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: