4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Belt squeak - even Toyota can't help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnylawless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 23:20    Post subject: Belt squeak - even Toyota can't help Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this one.

My dad's come back to Toyota with a 2012 150 Active LC automatic, with 24,000 miles on the clock. Recently, it's developed a squeak/whine that comes on intermittently. It's loudest when you're first pulling off  - at first he thought it was when the engine was cold but it's still present at low speeds even after a long journey (at higher speeds you can't hear if the whine is there or not over the noise of the engine).

It's still under warranty, so he took it into the Toyota garage (not the non-Toyota garage he bought it from, but he's had several previous trucks off these guys and knows them well). They took the belt off and the noise went, which narrowed it down. They replaced the belt - noise still there. Replaced the idler pulley, noise still there.

The warranty only covers the investigation of noises up to 20,000 miles, so we're past that. He's pretty gutted at this point, and is starting to hate driving it because he doesn't trust it or want to be doing damage to the engine if he doesn't know what's causing it.

He had a call from the garage, and they said that the 150s have been having an issue with the viscous coupling, so they asked him to bring it in and wait while they replaced it - under the warranty, as Toyota are acknowledging that there was a problem with the part on the 150. It seemed to sort the noise, and he drove home cautiously optimistic - no noise.

However, he goes to start it two hours later and the noise is back. He's really disappointed and kind of at a loss - he doesn't want to drive it, he doesn't want to sell it at a big loss, and he'd never cover up the fault whilst selling it, WD-40 on the belt style (as he's starting to suspect the garage he bought it from did), so he's stuck.

Haven't heard back from Toyota yet. It seems like what's left could be the alternator, water or steering pump. Don't think Toyota will do any more to help (not under the warranty, anyway), so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? We'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

John.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 23:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnnylawless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit - apparently the garage they got it from was actually a Toyota dealership.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not easy one to diagnose on the ole interweb, and generally this type of problem could be attributed to any car etc. Will make some suggestions for options to help eliminate etc, taking into account whats been done/observed as your notes.

On the belt run, I'd think they're be (1)AC pump, (2)water pump, (3)alternator, (4)idler pulleys (5)crank, and any (6) viscous fan couplings.

With item (5) not a contender, and items (4) & (6) being replaced, leaves (1,2, & 3)

It really now takes some good listening to ID, I'd start with item (3) it's not un common where for e.g. engine bays are jet washed, water gets into shaft bearings and they dry up. Have a close listen around the alternator, if you have a long shaft screw driver, place it as near as you can safely right onto the alternator body, and connect your ear on the other end, listen for "rough" noises etc, squirt some WD40 around this units pulley areas and see what happens. Put on everything electrically, lights, heaters, windscreen wipers etc, i.e. really load the alternator up, and see if the noise increases as the electrical load does.

If all OK, item (1), does the AC work on the car ? Perhaps the pumps dry ? Again similar type checks to above, listening/looking, and switch the AC on to see if any change, also if it's fully working.

Last, (2) you really would notice if this was the culprit, and the garage should be able to ID it straight away, when they squeak, they really do.

Another option, is to have the belt taken off, and manually spin each item (1,2 & 3) and anything else, to see/hear/feel any rough bearings in the line.

If none of the above helps, with the viscous and pulley replaced, it's now done to physical elimination, I.e. change out item (3) first, that's where I'd hedge my bet.

Finally, your car should be under the 5yr Toyota warranty, so either between the garage you bought it from, or Toyota direct, you should get the help you need, just keep at them, difficult I know, but this can be fixed etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: