Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sensor problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 16:35    Post subject: Sensor problem? Reply with quote

Got two problems with my 96 3.0 TZ which may be related.Two days ago the temp gauge started acting up, i.e. when the car is hot it keeps dropping down to zero and then going back up again intermitently.This morniing started it up and it was very lumpy and wouldnt tick over.Keep the revs up and let it warm up and its fine. Havent had a chance to look at it or the manual yet but I suspect auto choke and/or a sensor problem.Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 16:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mike t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, car has been into garage.They reckon the poor start up is a fuel starvation problem but it woudnt do it when they started it from cold.As the problem is intermitent Ill have to wait till it gets worse then take it back.They reckon the temp gauge problem(which seems to have put itself right ) is not related.Any ideas?..........anyone.....out there.....h....h....hello?????
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If vehicle has fuel injection then temp sensor can affect starting as the ecu uses ambient temp, and engine temp to decide on the fuel/air mix. Temp senders work on a variable resistance so a bad or dirty connection can affect the gauge reading. We are here, just don't know the answer to the problem. Very Happy
mike t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I would have thought a sensor problem but theres nothing showing on the diagnostics.However I think I am stuck with waiting till it gets worse before i can sort it.Any feedback or theories are always welcome.
mike t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.Both faults have mysteriously ceased to manifest themselves! Spooky.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

often with sensor & ECU probs that are caused by slight corrosion or dirty connections, pulling the multi plugs apart whilst searching for the trouble, cure themselves as the connection is cleaned when you pull and push the plug together again. A lot of these systems run on mili- volts and v low resistances. With a bit of luck may never return :D
mike t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you re right, Grimbo.Its just a bit frustrating when you dont know what the problem was and Im not normally that lucky.
mike t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! problem occurred again two weeks ago after no problems for six months. Car took an hour to start and has been no bother since.However I got a new ECU temp sensor from Toyata (£40.50 inc vat) and got the garage to fit it. The sensor is really tricky to do as it is behind and below the oil filter tucked away. Anyway, if I get no more problems within the next year Ill know its fixed!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: