4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New LC4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48    Post subject: New LC4 Reply with quote

I am about to buy a new LC4 and am thinking of getting the fixed toyota towbar fitted.

Looking for any advice/suggestions on this or other accessories for the LC4 that are worth having?

Cheers

Jon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be good to have some company Surprised) it can get a bit lonely on this forum here in the UK until those hanging onto their 120s upgrade to the 150 - and its an upgrade they won't regret!...

As far as I understand it (I don't have a tow bar - I did on my 120 - a witter one - but then my caravan got blown up in the Buncefield oil depot explosion!! Surprised(  ..) the Toyota bar requires cutting into the rear bumper (as did the previous 120 one from Toyota) - which is then covered with a plastic plate.  I understand it to be a good tow bar and designed, electrically, not to interfere with the rears parking sensors.  Witter do one as well which doesn't involve cutting and probably wired so as not to interfere as well.

I found my Witter tow bar to be excellent - would tow a big caravan - and hold a bike rack for two bikes - at the same time with no apparent issues.

If you go to Pradopoint.Aus you will read and see lots of pictures of the tow bars they use for the 150 including Toyota ones and their own Witter equivalents and the pros and cons of both.  Having said that the Toyota ones appear to be more 'substantial' physically (they are more obtrusive - but look good imo) - but I'm sure the Witter ones are just as good but not to so obvious.

The only accessories I have put on my LC4 150 is a rear rubber cargo mat - well worth it!! and a 'chrome' tail pipe - looks good against my black paintwork.  If I could track down bespoke indoor rubber mats I would go for them..... the accessories available for the 150 from Toyota UK are limited in the extreme compared to Australia and elsewhere.  I haven't seen any picture of a 150 with door guards - which are available as an accessory - they would be good to prevent the dings on the slab sided doors etc - but they look grim imo.  Looks like no new cars come with door protectors (bash guards - whatever) anymore - a fashion thing I suppose - but I would have preferred it with full body moulding like the old 120 had .....

As I got a black one (only secondhand one available near me) - I went to 'detailing world' - to learn how to look after the paintwork properly - opened my eyes I tell you  Shocked  - amazing - costs a fair bit in products but the car looks amazing and easier to keep cleaner - another little 'hobby'.

Hope that helps a bit...... keep on posting.....  Cool
JonP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 23:44    Post subject: Detailing world Reply with quote

Interesting what you say about detailing world, I am thinking about having it Superguarded, however the price seems high to me for what sounds like expensive polish.

I am also looking at the side protection strips, a good idea on a pricey car but I am not sure about the chrome inserts. Unfortunately Toyota seems to be following the Land Rover trend of blinging up their cars.

I have looked at third party towbars, however by the time I have paid for a reputable firm to fit one and paid for the Toyota loom to protect the cars' warranty, the difference is not that much, so I think I will get the towbar done by the dealer. Probably the ordinary one, the flanged towbar looks a bit OTT for what I need, which is primarily a bike carrier with the occasional sailing dinghy on the back. Did you have the flanged towbar, it does look a serious bit of kit?

Funny coincidence about Buncefield, a few friends of my worked in the offices overlooking the depot that got completely trashed in the explosion. Fortunately none of them were hurt. Hell of a thing to come into work to though.

Cheers
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the transporter I would ask for the paintwork not to be touched - apart from removing plastic protection. Supaguard OK (FOC) if on paintwork with no defects/swirls and done by professional detailers - NOT by the same people that wash / PDI the car with sponges and cloths dropped on the floor and re-used.  Lots of damaging swirls about to be inflicted by this 'supaguard'. So no Supagurad unless put on from 'professionals'.   Protect your cars paintwork by using 'detailing world'.

Side protection bars not an option imo - they look 'orrrible' - just park well away from others if you can.  Less 'bling' as I see it.

Witter (others are available) towbar would be ample for you - should be no issues with warranty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: