Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Where is the water going?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:42    Post subject: Where is the water going????? Reply with quote

Hi, after just having sorted my auto hub lock problem on my 1994 KZJ78 3.0TD, i think I now have a more serious problem that hopefully someone can identify and assist with.

Recently the car started using approx 10 litres of water every 1000km. Before this it required no water top ups at all. There is no visible water leak so im suspecting a cracked cylinder head or gasket. There is no water in the oil (yet) and the car runs normally. However about a week ago, it was smoking very strangely - massive white clouds of smoke for a couple of minutes. This has however stopped again. As mentioned the car is running fine, no oil consumption performance is good. I heard it was only the 2.4 motors that gave head problems, however im really worried it may be the case with my 3.0 TD too.... Sad

If anybody has any ideas or similar experiences....would greatly appreciate our help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fisho7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomm,
I have the same problem but no notice of water in the oil, no leaks, no loss of power but the water is going somewhere as forever topping up the reservoir! Did you solve it by any chance?
Cheers
fisho7
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that the head gasket has failed between a water way and a cylinder. Either that or a cracked cylinder head. Is your header tank getting presurised and forcing water out of the overflow?
fisho7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham,

What a worry though! I should have added that I've been topping up for many many months - if the head gasket had gone or the head is cracked wouldn't there be other symtoms?

Sorry - I'm a bit naive when it comes to more tecky stuff but I haven't noticed any water from overflow nor noticed the reservoir filling up when hot. Should I just run it til hot and then check?

Thanks for your help so far
andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try fitting a new rad cap, probably too late now, or take it to a garage and get the rad tested for exhaust gases, there is a kit you can buy on e bay at the moment, do a search for (CRACKED WARPED HEADS BLOCKS).
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
fisho7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy - will do.
Thanks
lumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

try using a product called KALIMEX  K-SEAL its a permanent coolant leak repair warped or cracks heads no probs and it works, my bobcat skidsteer machine i bought with a cracked head, i used this, and its been out on hire now for the last 8 months with no problems at all, its on e bay for under a tenner, well worth it , and it only takes about 5 minutes
fisho7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lumpy et al,
I've just ordered a new rad cap from Milners. I'm not losing as much as Tomm above but it's still of some concern. I'm now going to keep a measure of how much I put in / mileage etc.
Fingers crossed and hope the rad cap replacement works.
Mike
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lumpy say's k-SEAL is brilliant stuff, the yard next to my workshop do skips & one of their lorrys had a cracked head with water pouring out of it, their mechanic put two bottles of K-SEAL in & we watched the leak stop, it's been fine for months now.

Joinerman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: