2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Satnav and phonebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lometun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Satnav and phonebook Reply with quote

I currently have a 2007 amazon and although I just updated the sat nav DVD to the 2011 version, it still only accepts the first part of a postcode, not the full postcode. Also the phonebook feature on the touch screen won't import the phonebook of my iPhone or nokia phone, but my tom-tom has no such problem.
Have these issues been fixed on the latest 150 series or are Toyota still miles behind in this area?
I tested a range rover for a day and it was a joy to use these items and the 3 litre v6 tdi engine was light years ahead of the 3.0 litre lump in my wife's lc5 that is basically the same engine in the new 150.
Toyota charge the uk buyers top price for the land cruiser so they need to make it work better if they want my business again.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an LC4 150 - and can't comment on the phone book/i phone facility as I haven't tried them - but if you look on pradopint.Aus you may get your answers from an Australia aspect anyway.

As for the engine being 'basically the same lump' in your wifes LC5 may be right .... but I didn't recognise it all from the 'lump' in my previous LC4 120 ... not visually, sound wise (soo.. much more quiet) or performance.   Vastly improved IMO - take one out - I think you will be surprised - I was....

Range Rover (RR) quite a bit more expensive than a 150 - and I understand much more unreliable - would think a RR would need to be compared to the Landcruiser V8 to make that a fair comparison I would have thought..... Surprised)
dannyson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to add ... the Sat Nav on my 150 accepts a full UK post code easy - no problem..
lometun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 15:56    Post subject: landcruiser engine Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, however what i meant by the range rover comment is this.
The landrover tdi v6 is a 3 litre diesel, as is the 150 landcruiser, however the rr engine is a super smooth v6 modern engine, where as the landcruiser engine is an inline 4-pot lump.
Toyota might have tuned it up a bit, made is sound better, put a nice cover on it, but you can't get away from the fact it needs a new generation engine and i guess this will be done as some sort of facelift later on.
If you book a test drive in a landrover v6, you get half a day to play with it, so ahead and give it a go at no cost and you will see what i mean.
I have had many new landcruisers and i agree that landrover products are overated, and i won't ever own one, but they do have a super duper modern engine that toyota badly need.
I also had a long test drive in the new v8 landcruiser and it made my almost new amazon feel like an old lorry engine, just as i'm sure a new v6 would make the current lc150 feel.
i mean, we are talking about a vehicle that won't give you any change from fifty grand in lc5 trim - toyota should do better.
p.s. I often book a day off road at the landrover centre in kent in a rr sport, and I do own both the lc5 and amazon vehicles, so I am talking about my own experence.
I have not had a drive in the 150 series yet, and i'm sure it must be years ahead of a 120, but then the thought of dealing with toyota dealers for another 5 years????????????????????
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - I've no doubt you are right and a v6 in a 150 would be much better - but there isn't - not yet anyway - and according to those in the know (in Aus at any rate) - no new engine forecast for it - but they could be wrong of course...

There is no 'nice cover on it' - no cover at all as I can see - looks very 'bare'.

I would still suggest you take one out and then see what you think ......

My previous experience with 'test driving' LRs was not a good one as - I kid you not - bits fell off as I drove it - the engine performed well but the gear knob came off in my hand, the overhead light casing fell off ... etc ... etc - never again.  I know they may have a better engine - but glancing at the LR forum - I'm not sure that even that will be as sound as a Toyota D4D...  But I'll take your word for how much smoother the engine is....

But from your comment about 'having to deal with Toyota dealers for another 5 years' hints that you have not been a 'completely satisfied' customer .... but would you and I be with any dealer???  Cool

I can't recall reading any complaints about the sophistication or otherwise on pradopoint about the performance of the engine especially - though I think your observations about the lack of a new v6 has been.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: