4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Just doin' some research........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james feeney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 22:18    Post subject: Just doin' some research........ Reply with quote

Just doin some research into the various Land Cruisers out there, but the first thing I have realised is that there are so many different models and so many different engine options. Luckily I have stumbled across this forum and I'm hoping for some help. Razz

Firstly, how do the model numbers work?? i.e. what do the letters and numbers mean?? LJ73, KZJ70, HDJ80 etc. etc. etc. Confused

And secondly, this is the model I am interseted in mostly, but can someone identify it? Am I right in thinking it is an LJ73 or LJ70?? And it is it a later model (but same number) than the round head light version?? Is it a Prado?? Please excuse my ignorance but I haven't a clue, you see, I've been into LandRovers for the past 10 years Embarassed

And is this the same model but a slightly different age again?? It doesn't have the extended wheel arches.

Thanks for any advice

JF
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 22:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James I ,like you, was once was confounded by those mysterious codes that we identify landcruisers with.
Its quite simple really
Ill use a LJ70 for an example
L = is for the L type engine and is used in a variety of toyota vehicles including Hilux Surf Hiace and Cressida and some others ,so they all use L as the 1st letter

J = landcruiser ,although mythology says it originally meant Jeep for when Toyota were asked to tender for a contract after ww2 for the occupying forces and they had no name for a 4wd. Embarassed
A hilux would use an N in this spot

70= is the SWB body shape and a 73 is a MWB and a 78 is a long wheelbase
This system is universal throughout the Toyota range ,even their farm tractors use it

There are 2 types of 70 series landcruisers. The LJ/RJ70 are what we call light duty. The R is for the 22R petrol 4cyl. 8)
Yes it is a Prado and was the 1st Prado but in Japan only
In Australia it was a Bundeera ,in S America a LCII.
I think England knew them as a LX?? Shocked

The other type is a heavy duty and is more prolific and comes in many more wheel bases.
I myself have a FJ73 which had a 6cyl petrol motor which I swapped for a 6 cyl diesel.

I think those pics you have are a KZJ7* at the top and a LJ/RL70.
This model has some murky areas as it had different engines in different years in different countries.
The top one is closely related to a Surf like all the light duty because they all use a lot of Hilux/Surf parts but that one more so.

Here is some links to what I see as the most informative landcruiser sites 8)

http://www.brian894x4.com/

http://www.birfield.com/

http://forum.ih8mud.com/

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/adherence.4x4/index.htm/
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
marsie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup James, fancy seeing you here.Not goin off landrovers are ya Wink
Paul
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

roscoFJ73 wrote:

There are 2 types of 70 series landcruisers. The LJ/RJ70 are what we call light duty. The R is for the 22R petrol 4cyl. 8)
Yes it is a Prado and was the 1st Prado but in Japan only
In Australia it was a Bundeera ,in S America a LCII.
I think England knew them as a LX?? Shocked

Actually in the UK we new them as the Landcruiser 2 or LC11. Later available with the 3 litre engine and then not called the LJ (because it wasn't and L series engine but a KZJ7x because it was the 1KZT engine.

Also on top of this you will also see HZJ7X which have the 1HZ engine - the heavy duty 70 series and also HDJ7x with the 1HD-T engine (later).

HDJ80 is an 80 series with the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT engine. HDJ 100 is the 100 series with the 1HD-FTE engine. HZJ80 is an 80 with the 1HZ engine, FJ 80 has the F series petrol, FZJ has the FZ series V6 petrol etc etc etc etc.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... FZJ has the FZ series V6 petrol etc etc etc etc.

FZ as in 1FZFE are straight 6s(still available here in a 79 and 105 series ). The V6s are VZ as in a Prado or Hilux Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yes you are right 4.5 litre straight six. Doh!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: