NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sankey conversion and Nato hitch question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiny1621

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Sankey conversion and Nato hitch question Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I am looking to convert a Sankey trailer into a overland trailer and possibly take back to SA with me - hopefully the long way down Very Happy
There are lots of illustrations on the general web for the actual conversion, but my main question is around towing. Do I replace the Nato with a good ball hitch, or do I keep it? Has anybody got any pics on how to mount a Nato onto a LC Series 90? What are the advantages, other than financial, to keep the hitch a Nato and not convert to the old ball hitch?
I have read the reviews from some ex-Military guys and they are not too complimentary of the old Nato - suppose I wont be towing the weight they did, but did get me thinking.

Any help would be appreciated. I am quite eager to get the project going
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i worked delivery plant equipment our "little" generators had ball hitch and the bigger ones had the same type as the Sankey trailer. Over some of the rougher sites i have had tow hitches coming detatched, it was probably due to the age of the kit and the amount of use, however i personally would advise you to leave the trailer and change your hitch for one with a towing jaw like one of these.

Maybe someone with experience over-landing with a Sankey trailer may have a different opinion as the range of movement may be reduced by the jaw.

But having had to dig a heavy genny out of the sticky stuff with my hands and then try to coax a transit van to move without digging it's self in and having to repair the trailer socket doesn't make me a fan of standard ball hitches.

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine

Last edited by Erestor on Tue Jun 14, 2011 15:37; edited 1 time in total
Tiny1621

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Erestor.

Would prefer not to make the adjustment to the hitch in the first place.

Was thinking of the towing jaw like you suggested but there was some coments that it does not completely fit the Nato eye.
Would also have to make sure that the Sankey has the hitch that can rotate itself.
Does look a helluva lot better than having a great claw sticking out the back of the LC! And will be easier to mount.
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could perhaps have a jaw fabricated a little bigger than standard to fit the NATO eye?

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
catmower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed a sankey trailer across the Pyrenees, i would strongly suggest you stick with a Nato hitch, it it much stronger, i mounted mine to the original tow bar with a Dixon Bate adjustable mount, this the allowed me to pull the pins take the plate off then fit a spare plate with a standard tow ball for the caravan, it also means you can change the height, ie higher for sankey, lower for caravan.
Here is a link:

http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/towing/adjustable_couplings.asp
Tiny1621

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that looks like a good solution to my problem. One plate for Nato and one for normal tow hitch - swap them as you need them  Very Happy
Cant find the max towing weight, but not planning on hauling excessive weights anyway! They also sell a shocklink, whick looks interesting, but damn expensive!

Do you have any pictures of how you secured it to your cruiser? Will the 2 bolt holes on the standard Colorado setup be sufficient to mount onto?

Will definitely keep an eye on one, thanks
catmower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i have it bolted to now, i can't find any pics, but i did have it bolted to an ordinary tow bar on my SWB Grand Vitara TD, just with the two bolts, that's the Truck i took across the Pyrenees.

Tiny1621

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, that looks like a hefty piece of kit!
Here is my current setup:

As you can see there are currently only 2 holes to attach the adjustable plate to.
I was planning on replacing the crossmember and tow bar anyway and will most probably have to replace it with one of these and then use the 4 holes for the DB adjustable kit.

http://www.just-tow.co.uk/A1/TA916.pdf

Will also help to bring the plate out from underneath the bumper. Just bought the Nato hitch, so looking forward to moving on with this.

Thanks for your help
Tiny1621

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for any that are interested.
I did a quick botch job to get the NATO hitch onto the current setup. Not the best, but had just bought a sankey and needed to pick it up.

Went to go pick up the trailer and was at the perfect towing height - well only because the previous guy had the same problem and moved the towing eye to below the drawbar
I dont have to lift the NATO that high anymore

I might just end up going for the towsure towbar - we installed one on a mates Cruiser the other day, and with the towing eye on the underside of the trailer, it should be at the desired height - problem solved
Trailer in pretty good shape. Now I just need to get my backside in gear and actually start designing and building the box. That and getting the trailer repainted, brakes serviced and reinstalled, new rims, etc, etc
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny1621 wrote:
Just an update for any that are interested.
I did a quick botch job to get the NATO hitch onto the current setup. Not the best, but had just bought a sankey and needed to pick it up.

Hi Tiny,

I really wouldn't like to post this, but that is very dangerous with the way you have the drop plate, actually "lifting".

The axial forces on the tow bracket now, are far to extreme.
Drop plates, should only ever be used as drop plates, NEVER as lifting plates.
Please don't take this post wrong, but you really need to sort this out sooner rather than later.

vette
Tiny1621

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vette,
No worries on that. I just did the botch job to get the tailer back to my house.
I will be replacing the towbar on the Cruiser when I am in SA to ensure the correct towing height.

Thanks
Justin
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny1621 wrote:
Hi Vette,
No worries on that. I just did the botch job to get the tailer back to my house.
I will be replacing the tow bar on the Cruiser when I am in SA to ensure the correct towing height.

Thanks
Justin

That's great news,

thumbup

vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: