2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Best TLC for overlanding....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruiserTheCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 23:03    Post subject: Best TLC for overlanding....? Reply with quote

What is the best TLC for overlanding... Something old and simple....and cheap!
This is a loaded question as i already have bought one, yesterday, just not sure if it was the best decision.....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 23:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Viking Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruiser,

Yes, could be a loaded question indeed... a late 80 series is what I got, so know what the answer is...  Wink  

I have seen all types of Cruisers used as overlander vehicles, but I think there are a few key points to think about:
* what condition the vehicle is in, and how much you are willing to spend on getting it ready (I speak from experience when I say that even the best looking vehicle can give you surprises...)
* how comfortable you are at fixing your vehicle en route and how long you are willing to wait for parts...
* how much space you want (and also whether you would like to keep an extra seat in the back for guides/guests along the way)

Make sure you are happy with what you have (and I am sure you will be) and think long and hard about what you are about to embark on. We have done quite a bit of camping and travelling using cars, so have a good idea of what works and what doesn't, and we are trying to encorporate this into our planning. It is very easy to spend a lot of money on equipment, but every kilo adds to fuel consumption, wear and tear, and handling, so keep weight in mind.

Kirk and Dale had these observations:
http://www.sawubonafrica.com/vehicle.html

To answer your question: I don't think there is a definate answer - it depends on what your plans and preferences are.

Hope to see lots of posts of progress (with photos) and details of mods and equipment.

Best of luck,

N-reg 80-series 4.2 TD manual
BFG 285/75R16
OME
BruiserTheCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, thanks for the website they are very usefull.
As you may already know now, i have an lj78 prado.
He seems like he is more than capable for the drive, particularly as we are going in convoy and will have at least 3 vehicle with us all the time.
He is a bit underpowered but we are not racing anywhere so i think thats what we will have to live with now.
I think you can really get carried away with vehicle choice and prep as its a total minefield of info, i take the Chris Scott approach that less is more. There are so many companies trying to flog you stuff you really dont need for normal overlanding.
As long as the vehicle is in good condition and you have suspension up for the load, the rest is in the hands of the gods!

Saying that i am also taking a v8 disco 2! Which has had 000's spent on the prep, so this TLC will be a much slim line version. Just like its a slim line version of the original landcruiser.
Many thanks
James
Bruisers Dad
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a suggestion, I would like to offer that the cooling system is 100% A OK.

A good clean radiator, both outside from mud, and inside from sludge.
Get the best through flow you can.
I might be inclined to replace the thermostat, with a much lower temperature opening one, say one that opens at about 78 deg.

I can't stress enough on the position of maintaining the very best cooling possible.

vette
lambo170

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with the points mad re cooling having done several expeditions myself - it is KEY
lambo170

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lads,

New member to the forum    Very Happy  But this also means I cant put up topics yet - just trying to get a feel for the post below - thanks

I am considering buying a LC for a major expedition of approx 40,000miles and was looking at one e bay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-UK-...item43b75cd1b3

What do you all reckon? The guy has removed it from bidding but will accept 10,000 for it. He said the BEBs were done recently as was a transmission upgrade/rebuild using upgraded australian parts. What do you reckon on the price? It's beginning to get out of my budget. Would it be cheaper to buy a clean standard 80 and do the mods in Ireland?

PS: I previously drove a series III Land Rover from Dublin to Mongolia and back and had quite a number of problems so am looking at LC's now.

Cheers in advance

Daniel
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Was it this one?

http://www.spam/forums/showthread.php/47485-My-Landcruiser-on-e bay

(Not really a spam forum)

vette
lambo170

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it alright! Do you reckon its worth the £10K?

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: