NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Offroad steep descent in an Auto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Low Ratio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Offroad steep descent in an Auto Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I would appreciate some advice please for off-roading in my 2002 Colorado D4D please.

It's an Auto and I have no experience of these for off roading. I'm going away in a few weeks.

If I’m attempting a very steep descent in low ratio with the centre diff lock on (comes on automatically) and I put the auto lever in the L (low) postion, can I assume the auto will stay in first gear and provide maximum engine braking or will it change up when too much strain is applied? I don't want to suddenly lurch down the hill if it changes gear!

Many thanks for any advice.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the 90 series is similar to the 120 series, then it will hold 1st.
Assuming you have pulled the selector all the way rearward to LL.

Try this when you are on the road.
Drive down a long downhill, now half way down, start to apply the brakes.
You will feel the auto box, drop down a gear.
When this happens, take your foot off the brakes.
It will hold this lower gear until you touch the accelerator again.

vette
Low Ratio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 17:45    Post subject: Offroad descent in Auto Reply with quote

Thanks for that Vette - I will give it a try but first I have to find a hill near where I live!

I did wonder whether your later model (LC3/4?) has a hill descent control system which might account for the way it responds?

Thanks

Low Ratio
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, this is not "hill decent" it's just ordinary way the LC autobox works.
Hill decent is some thing different again.

vette
marlot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have hill descent on my LC4.  It uses the wheel sensors and brakes to slow the car down to around 2mph downhill.  Allegedly it might be able to correct the car if it starts to slide sideways.

I did try it on a steep hill covered in sheet ice, and it worked perfectly.   But just putting the car in 1st Low would probably have been fine too.
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Auto box position "L" limits it to your lowest gear. The Auto does decent quite rapidly compared to the manual (from what i remember of the manual) but don't be tempted to ride the brakes or you'll just destroy your pads, only brake when you really need to.

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: