Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

FJ40 speedometer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Edwards

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 16:40    Post subject: FJ40 speedometer Reply with quote

This is Bob from Cluj-Napoca, Transilvania. My 1978 FJ40 has just returned from the workshop after a long period under repair for leaks in the cooling system. I have been testing it with short drives around the block. Over about 20kph there is a loud grinding sound that seems to be coming from the speedometer; the needle jumps to a reading of 80 kph and then fluctuates between 80 and 200 (although the real speed is about 20). Below 20 kph, the noise and the fluctuation disappear. Can anyone suggest what the problem is? (I suspect a damaged cable)
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 16:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob .When I have had these problems,I disconnect the cable at the rear of the speedo and go for a drive.You can see if the cable is turning freely that way.
Also ,the landcruiser speedo cable can be replaced by many other toyota cables,hilux is one. It just needs to be the right length.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Bob Edwards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosco. I have been trying to disconnect the speedo cable but I can't get at it. I removed the two screws that hold the glass front of the instrument panel, but the instrumental panel itself won't come out of its housing - it seems stuck and I hesitate to use too much force. Could it be the cable itself that is holding the panel in? Do I need first to disconnect the cable at the transfer case?
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Edwards wrote:
Thanks Rosco. I have been trying to disconnect the speedo cable but I can't get at it. I removed the two screws that hold the glass front of the instrument panel, but the instrumental panel itself won't come out of its housing - it seems stuck and I hesitate to use too much force. Could it be the cable itself that is holding the panel in? Do I need first to disconnect the cable at the transfer case?

Sorry Bob ,I have only done this on a 73 and 75 series although they are similar at the back. You shouldnt need to disconnect it at the tcase.
I think the plastic coupler unscrews the cable from the speedo

The only thing I have is this diagram

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1981_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FJ40L-KCJW_8301.html
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Bob Edwards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosco. I loosened the cable where it runs through the engine compartment and that gave it enough slack so that I could pull out the instrument panel a bit more and see how the cable attaches to the back of the panel. Now I think I can disconnect the cable from the panel ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: