Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

120 LC5 Playing in the Snow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 13:38    Post subject: 120 LC5 Playing in the Snow. Reply with quote

Ian.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 13:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be nice to have snow Sad Im in Northampton and we have missed it all !
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ian,

The BFG's are good in the snow?

'vette
IanW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:
Very nice Ian,

The BFG's are good in the snow?

'vette

BFG are not good in the snow, they are flippin' awesome.  These tyres are the best modification that anyone could make to a Land Cruiser.  The ride is so much better, less rolling on the side walls, no noticeable increase in road noise, the grip is superb, and the speedo is MORE accurate.  Why Mr T. does not offer these as a dealer option is beyond me?!

Ian.
peterlincolnshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42    Post subject: what Size? Reply with quote

Hi, what size are your BFG's? I have ordered some General A/T's as they are the only ones I can get in 265 65 17 for my Lc120 LC5, the BFG's were only available in 70 profile in that size.
Glenn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter after 3000 miles of my general AT2s. I was thinking of taking them off and going back to road baised tyres. I used the 265 70 17 which them makes the speedo acurate.  how ever they will cost you about 4 mpg and are slightly  to noisey for me .
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52    Post subject: Re: what Size? Reply with quote

peterlincolnshire wrote:
Hi, what size are your BFG's? I have ordered some General A/T's as they are the only ones I can get in 265 65 17 for my Lc120 LC5, the BFG's were only available in 70 profile in that size.

Hi,

When I had my LC120,

They were 265 x 70 x R17
Excellent tyre was the BFG AT.

vette
peterlincolnshire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:37    Post subject: BFG's Reply with quote

Thanks Vette, I would prefer BFG's to the generals I ordered but was just concerned about the larger aspect ratio, handling, insurance etc, I can easily cancel the Generals though if the advice I ger from here is the BFG is the best choice even though its in 70 profile.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Without doubt, the 70 profile suits the LC120 far better.
The whole car just feels so much more secure on the ordinary tarmac.
I was almost 2 years in Norway with it, with the BFG AT on, and I used to wish for the snow.
And boy, when the snow came, ,,,,,, it came.

I clearly remember driving to Sweden one weekend, and came up behind a snow plough.
Now, let it be said, just once, if any thing, "The Norwegians know how to make a snow plough"

I followed this plough for about 1km, but he was only doing about 70km/hr, (45 mph) ok, give him is dues, he was ploughing about 30 mm of slush and snow to the side, and doing a damn fine job.
So I thought, well, lets pass him, so I engaged center diff, just by pushing the transfer lever forward on position to HL.
Indicated, and moved out onto the un ploughed slush and snow.
No drama what so ever, and when I looked back, I could see the huge volume of slush and snow that the BFG AT were clearing from the tarmac.
I felt really secure, no wibble wobble or any thing, so I upped the speed to about  70 mph, you couldn't see behind, it was just slush being thrown out by the front wheels to a distance of a good 3 meters.
OK, the road was pretty strait, just a few bends, but talk about sure footed.

Would I have them again,,,,,,you damn right I would.
PS, I have some Generals AT2 in my shed, and I wouldn't give them the light of day, in comparrison (sp) they feel so weak, and flexible, and exactly like the GrandTrek I took off.

Also a point to remeber is the BFG AT is "Snowflake" marked, meaning it is also classed a a suitable winter tyre.
I don't think the GG AT2 are.

vette
peterlincolnshire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:39    Post subject: BFg's Reply with quote

Thank you for that Vette, how do the 70 series BFG's perform in the dry as a road tyre? I know I had them on my P38 Range Rover and they were as good as any road tyre on that vehicle.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

General day to day driving on dry tarmac.
I, like many others using BFG AY, inflated them to around 36psi, up from the GrandTrek pressure of 29 psi.
You may have read, or noticed a lot of topics, on the "edges" of the front tyres wearing quickly, on standard tyres.
It is a general opinion, that even though the Land Cruiser is delivered with GrandTrek's, they are not really the best tyre at all for the 120.
They are simply too soft, too wallowy, to vague.
By over inflating the Grand Treks, this eliminates some of the trye edge wear, but as you guessed, increases the central tyre wear.
The answer lies in fitting the BFG AT.
Before you fit the BFG AT, just run your hands over the tyre, just get a feel of how sturdy, how reassuring they feel, now feel one of the Grand Trek's, they are like chalk and cheese.
The GT feels almost paper thin.
So the BFG AT is a much sturdier construction, well, it should be, as its not cheap.
There is 50% additional side wall strength built into the BFG AT.
As the tyre is clearly built to a far better spec, it allows you to "over inflate" in relation to the standard 29 psi in the original GT.
Liek I said earlier, inflate them to 36psi when you have them fitted.
Logic tells you that they will feel like driving on tyres made of stone, and not inflatable rubber.
Be prepared to actually realise that, the reason BFG AT is all so very popular, is in the way the vehicle now drives.
There is zero front trye edge wear, and as the overall construction is more sturdy, the fact that you have inflated them to about 36 psi, the tyre still maintains it's designed shape, not ballooning out, like the GT would if you inflated that to 36 psi.
When my LC used to be fully loaded, I used to have between 38 psi and 40 psi in the 4 tyres.
The ride comfort, the cornering, the braking, the traction in the rain, is all vastly improved in my opinion.
Heading into a corner with the old GT, and you could have been mistaken for thinking you were still at sea, on a ship.
The BFG AT, brings the reality back, and enables the LC to maintain a far better composure while cornering.
Gone is the wild swinging feeling, just sure footed'ness on every corner.
However the price puts many people off, which I can understand.
You can easily buy 6 inferior tyres for the same price you could buy 4 BFG AT.

vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: