Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil on rear brake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:40    Post subject: Oil on rear brake Reply with quote

Recently my truck (lwb Colorado) has started to occasionally pull to the right under braking. It looks like my rear axle might be leaking gear oil onto the left rear brake / brake guard which could explain this. What part has failed, and what parts will I need to fix this leak?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

stu58

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done brakes on a LC but on other vehicles you'd need a new oil seal and brake shoes and give everything a bl**dy good clean, best to buy a can of brake cleaner to do the drum with.
Someone with more experiance of LC's can maybe help you more.

Stu.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess I would look at the front disc brakes, particularly the nearside one. I suspect the cylinder in the calliper has started to seize.

The rear brakes don't do a lot and even if one were covered in oil, it would probably not make a lot of difference to the steering when braking.

If the cylinder is stuck, you can often free it with some WD40. Then clean round under the outer weather seal with a couple of cotton buds. This will remove most of the WD40 along with the red/brown 'mud' which is what is left of the red brake grease. The put a good load of new red brake grease under the outer weather seal using the handle end of a teaspoon or similar as a spatula or get a small syringe from the local chemist. You can get a tub of red brake grease via the internet.

This is the stuff

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014109&contentId=7027101

There are currently suppliers of this and a similar product made by Millers on Eb*y

Willy
fridayman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is on my to-do list as well, just to be sure. I am also replacing some of the brake pipes, because there are a few spots that look like they may be corroding through (looks almost like limescale).

Any tips on bending brake tubing without kinking the tube? I did my rear heater pipes myself, but the brake pipes look like they might be a bit more tricky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: