4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The view from her seat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 20:39    Post subject: 21 weeks to go Reply with quote

Hi all,

Another week flown by - and another weekly update.  I trust everyone enjoyed the "double weekend" that was Easter!

Here it is - thoughts and comments always welcome!!

African GirlChild

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is another side to all the preparations.  Most blogs and websites discuss the preparations for the vehicle, the travellers, but there is another important side to preparing for a trip like this - the “leaving behind” bits!

The first part is a major clearout!  So, this weekend we started gathering together everything that we really don’t use, and really don't want to put into storage - and in 2 weeks time we’ll be taking it all up to the local car boot sale to find new homes.  Now, let me start by saying, we are not hoarders.  We have both lived in too many places, in too many countries, to keep gathering items.  But I am embarrassed and surprised.  Clearly, 4.5 years in the same house has impacted our non-hoarder traits.  So far, we have 2 suitcases and 2 large plastic bags of clothes and shoes; 2 boxes of books; and 4 or 5 boxes of other random items.  This is just items that we aren’t using and unlikely to in the future.  Frightening.  We haven’t even reached the items we are currently using but won’t want to put in storage.  I think it is safe to say that we’ll be doing a second car boot sale before we depart.

Storage for items staying behind is under investigation.  Self storage it’ll have to be, unless one of our kind friends has loft or garage space for it all Wink

Back to the trip preparation …

Preparing the explorers is an all important activity - so this weekend we attended our first ‘Pay & Play’ day.  This was mainly for me to continue to be comfortable with handling the vehicle, and hubby to show me how to handle the more technical challenges.  To be fair - I am a ‘fraidy cat, so this demanded nerves of steel from me.  I did well, and became more comfortable with each extra bit of driving we did.  It was slightly awe inspiring to watch the many others in their ‘play-mobiles’ trying all manner of challenges.  Definitely another on the cards.

My fun sewing project for the weekend was to turn a pair of baggy mountain biking shorts into something a bit more feminine - a mountain biking skirt!  Overcoming the geometrical challenge of changing a garment with curves in the design into a curve-less skirt - the skirt is a success.  I took it for a trial ride, and it is 95% there - a few small design tweaks and it’ll be perfect.  Now I have something a little more appropriate the wear on our big trip than lycra!

And so, we reach 21 weeks to go … and under 150 days.
blog: www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Overland from Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas
The adventure begins in October 2012!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this week the seamstress tried her hand at carpentry – with guidance! Overall, I did OK. My project: to create one of the wooden drawers for the second level of our drawer system. Hubby had very kindly already cut all the pieces I needed, I just needed to drill holes and screw it all together. And yes, it sounded pretty easy to me too! Anyway, it took me a good few hours, and hubby only needed to recut 2 pieces after I made a bit of a boo-boo. But, I managed, and the drawer has already had its first coat of varnish!

The second level for the drawer system is coming along nicely – it fits perfectly, and has already had its first coat of varnish. Now that we can see the 2 levels together, we have a better idea of the storage space on either side of the system, and will be looking at how to use that more efficiently.

Other work: the vehicle went in to have a tiny bit of rust around the rear windows treated. It looks much better now, and should be good for a few thousand miles. The water tank has also arrived, and hubby will be collecting it in the coming week.

The seamstress will be resuming work in the coming week, having secured necessary supplies, and temporarily hung up her drill. The cycling skirt is coming along well, and a few more pouches (for chargers) need to be constructed.

Events in Africa are followed continuously.  While Nigeria has quietened down a bit (or rather, not making the news headlines as much) Mali has become unstable.  From what I can gather, most land borders to other countries have now been closed.  While it is still a long time until we reach Mali in our journey (approx 10 months from now) we are starting to look at alternative routes.

And so, we are at 20 weeks to go!

Comments most welcome!

Until next week,
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very quick update this week.

This week was all about preparations for the Big Car Boot Sale that we did on Sunday.  As mentioned in previous posts, we have been clearing out the house and shed, all with the plan of attending a car boot sale.  All in all, a very successful day.  Although we didn’t sell everything, we made enough to cover the recently purchased water tank and about 40l of fuel for the trip Wink.  Fun day, and we’ll definitely be doing another before we depart.

On the water tank front, we collected the water tank during the week, and look forward to installing it.

The unpredictable weather of the last week has been excellent for the garden (hosepipe ban anyone?!??), but not great for continuing with the varnishing of the second level of drawers.  Fortunately, hubby managed to get a few hours in on the weekend, to make up for the lack of progress during the week.

We continue to explore other route options, given the recent coups in both Mali and Guinea-Bissau.  We are considering altering our route slightly to avoid both, and instead travel from Senegal to Guinea, Cote d’Ivoire then Burkina Faso.  Research continues.

19 weeks to go.  

Until next time!
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah - it is that time of week again: weekly update!

Frustratingly, the weather has hampered our progression.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The adventure is becoming so real.  One day this week, as I stopped at the traffic lights near our home, I pictured us stopping in the exact spot in Brodie, all packed and heading to Dover to catch our ferry to Dunkirk.

Back to the preparations …

We have decided on our cooker!  We have gone for a 2 ring burner which runs off a Cadac 907, and folds into its own compact case.  It should be tough enough for a year in Africa!  Order placement this week.

The weather has been favourable to the ducks and geese, but less so to the workers!  We have tried hard to put on a brave face - but working with electricity in the rain is rather cold, and potentially a breach of health & safety Wink.  We eventually braved the weather today, and made good progress.  The first and second levels of the drawer system are finally in the vehicle, with 2 side shelves created to make use of the space between the drawer system and vehicle sides.  All newly created shelves have also had a coat of varnish.

The sewing projects continue!  More pouches came into existence, as I am creating order out of the chaos of the numerous chargers that seem to be accompanying us.  I also need to put my creative mind to the bag that we need for the camping table.  The current bag conforms to my “bad design” mantra, so needs replacing with that of a more intelligent design.  

We continue our search and research into the “sharing” aspect of our trip.  At the moment, we are searching out social entrepreneurs and community projects that are making a difference.  These are the people we want to meet, be inspired by, and share their stories.  There are, surprisingly, more projects than I was initially expecting - what a great position to be in.  We may need to focus on a particular theme (such as environmental related initiatives).  

The official starting point has been decided!  With this being the year of the Olympics, and both of us volunteering at the Olympics, we thought the starting point really ought to be Olympic related.  Don’t worry - before you picture us driving our fully loaded Cruiser to the Olympic stadium, we are thinking about heading up to Box Hill instead.  This is memorable location for us as one of the landmarks on our favourite mountain bike ride in the Downs area.  Hopefully the rings will be ready and waiting for us!

We have finally ventured onto Facebook - so please do come along and ‘Like’ us.  I am still figuring out how I’ll be using it!

And so, time marches rushes on ... 4 months until we head out ...

Until next week!
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update this week - when travel is involved, time takes on new meaning Wink

- malaria tablets, test kit and treatment acquired
- additional wolf boxes acquired
- further progress on level 1 and level 2 of drawer system
- design ideas starting for “back seat row” - fridge, skinny 3rd seat and additional storage to be located

That’s it folks!  Normal service to resume next week!

And we have broken the 120 days to departure … yikes!

kind regards
African GirlChild
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your humour and writing style.

Keep up the great posts, and the regular updates.

vette
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

vette

aaww ... thanks vette.  I am glad you are enjoying it!  Do keep following our progress!!
fridayman

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

vette

+1 I am enjoying these too Smile
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

fridayman wrote:
+1 I am enjoying these too Smile

Thanks fridayman!  I am glad you're enjoying my musings ...

rgds
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 22:30    Post subject: Managing the overwhelm Reply with quote

Hi all!

Yip!  Back on the little mud island,  and time for a respectable update - enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was inevitable - at some point we were due to feel completely overwhelmed by the enormity of what we are trying to accomplish by departure date.  This was the week.  Independently of each other, we both had almost heart stopping realisation of what still needs to be done.  Hubby’s concern is the vehicle, mine the house.  So, we have reminded ourselves of some key mantras:

1. Keep it simple!  Seems obvious.  Good to be reminded again by a guru.

2. How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  In the heat of the ‘overwhelm’ this concept disappears entirely.  We are implementing a ‘microblocking’ concept of doing a little bit every day, rather than nothing for a few days and then flat out on the weekends!

So, we’re back on the wagon ...

And, what have we been up to these past 2 weeks?

I had a trip out to see friends & family in South Africa - my gran in particular is getting on in years, and I wanted to spend time with her before we start our adventure.  While out, I picked up a few essentials:

- wolf / ammo boxes are much cheaper (but a real pain to bring back!)
- malaria tablets, test kit and treatment were all sourced.  Even with the unexpected dispensing fee, this was a bit cheaper than the UK
- braai / barbeque grid for cooking over an open fire (aaahh …)
- collapsable cooking tripod for use on an open fire (aaahhhh again …)
- security lock for handbrake / gear lever
- replacement mosquito nets for our rooftop tent - hopefully this will enable me to sort out the torn mosquito nets currently on the tent.  It seems a common problem that the nets pull out of the nets, and Howling Moon are changing the net they use.

Hubby was busy too!
- He changed locks on the vehicle
- Next, much design for the back seat of the vehicle - using the anchor points for the back seat, he has now designed and created a base for the guide seat and fridge to sit on.  As ever, these things take waaay longer than initially thought, but a sunny weekend certainly helped!

Aaah, yes, the Big Clearout continues too.  We are utilising online market places at the moment to start reducing the furniture in the house - great success so far!

Busy weeks!!  Only 16 more to go ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have a great week!

Until next time
African GirlChild
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your departure date?

Reading your thread has forced me to pull my head out of the sand. We need to ship our truck and belongings by end of September or early October - that is not much more than 16 weeks...  Shocked AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fridayman!

fridayman wrote:
What is your departure date?

We are aiming for 2nd September.  We're still on track!   blob8

fridayman wrote:
Reading your thread has forced me to pull my head out of the sand. We need to ship our truck and belongings by end of September or early October - that is not much more than 16 weeks...  Shocked AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

What are you up to?  Where are you shipping to?  Take it from me ... time has funny way of running away with itself  Wink

kind rgds,
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

Latest weekly update.  Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is one aspect to all this preparation we have been up to - it has been a secret project from its outset.  With the exception of parents and a few close friends and family, we have largely been beavering away in anonymity and stealth mode.  It gets challenging to answer questions such as “What are you up to this weekend?” week after week when it is no more exciting than sewing, building interior storage ...  Of course the neighbours must suspect something is going on – they’re no fools!

This week we started telling more people about our trip.  Our managers responded completely differently!  Hubby’s manager thinks it is a great idea, and personally really likes West Africa ... My manager is in complete denial, and can’t believe I would give up my job.  I have been given more time to think about whether I really want to resign … or more likely, more time for her to digest the information.

Other people have given generally mixed reactions - some have been really excited for us; for some, the concept of camping for a year is horrendous but they appreciate the excitement of travelling for a year; a good few are concerned for our safety as we travel through Africa.  
Work continues on the vehicle interior.  Slow steady progress is being made in using the space as effectively as possible for storage.  We discovered the third seat won’t fit where intended ... Rookie error.  New solution found.  Seat for sale.  There is quite a lot of varnishing that needs doing, so this will start during the week (weather permitting).

The sewing machine was in action this weekend.  And my pet peeve - storage bags!  This week, a new bag for the camping table.  This had a slightly modified design compared to the tent bag - the whole top of the bag needed to zip open to fit the rolled up camping table in.  As the creator - there are a few little things I am not happy with.  However, hubby thrilled; sewing machine praised.

We have also put a date in the diary for the first of our shake down weekends.  Actually, this first weekend is more of a ‘check the kitchen and back storage work’ weekend.  Well, actually, one night away.  So, by the end of June, the back needs to be finished and the fridge in place, all ready to be tested.

It is starting to feel very real.  Telling people, and having them ask questions, makes us realise that we are really doing it!

15 weeks to go ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

until next time!

kind regards
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Just a short update this week!  Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaahh … the glorious sunshine finally arrived this week!  About time … we were starting to grow mould between the toes.

The communication plan (OK - the emails) have been spreading further as we inform people of our adventure.  Again, mainly positive reactions, a bit of envy and a few people who either don’t get it, or think we are mad.

On the preparation front, all the varnishing that has been waiting to be done was taken care of … in 1 week!  Fantastic progress!  The construction behind the front seats has had its mandatory 2 coats, and additional other smaller storage nooks and crannies have been created and varnished.  Every conceivable space is being used!!

In spite of the credit card protesting, we have also been ordering more items that we need for the trip.  The cooker should arrive soon, a new antenna for the car will help with radio reception.  We are edging closer to a fridge.

To be fair, we also took time to enjoy the sun!  It doesn’t appear that often in the UK Wink

A Big Milestone this week - on Friday we crossed the 100 days until we go mark.  Hooray!

14 weeks to go ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until next time!
Have a great week!

kind regards
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - did this week ever fly by!!

Here is the weekly update - enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is official - it is 3 months and counting …

It is exciting.  It is real.  But above all, we are going to have fun and enjoy ourselves on this trip.

We have been learning a lot about ourselves, and other people too, as we continue to tell people about our adventure.  We’d love people to see us following our own dream, and be inspired to follow their own dreams - however big or small they may be.  

We also want to reassure people that we will be sensible and pragmatic on our trip - we don’t want trouble any more than anyone else does!  We have some basic rules about not driving at night, using the trusty ‘bush telegraph’ to find out what is going on at ground level, being conscious of general safety and security.
And while we are out there exploring, we hope to meet many people - those who are also travelling, exploring, adventuring, and those who live in communities we will be passing through along the way.  We want to live in 3D colour and break out of 2D black & white!  We want to feel alive!  Make sense?  

There is a creeping sense of so much to do and so little time, that we have just had to get going.  Items that need purchasing … well, let’s get ‘em purchased!  (Subject to credit card exploding …)  So this week has been a rather productive week:
our fridge has been ordered:  a National Luna Weekender 50l which has the ‘luxury’ of a freezer compartment.  
new vehicle batteries ordered (absolutely great customer service - please see our links page)
the aerial order got lost, and then was found again (less impressive customer service)
MOT booked for the vehicle

Hubby also spent a bit of time getting to grips with Google Maps this week - he is very much still in learning phase, but do check out the maps for Europe here
Europe

and for Africa here.  
Africa

He’ll be experimenting and discovering the functionality more in the coming weeks.

Very Helpful Friend is coming over in 2 weeks time to give some expert assistance on the vehicle (he has the Big tools!!).  He always injects common sense into the conversations, asks the tough questions, and provides impartial advice.  He is also infinitely more knowledgeable than both of us combined when it comes to vehicles!

Anyway, we are taking a week of R&R - something that we have discovered is essential during our preparations.  It feels rather intense to be living, breathing, thinking about the trip all the time, and does become mentally and emotionally draining.  So, this week we’ll just relax, recharge, rejuvenate and return refreshed to continue the preparations.

And so, time rushes on ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have great Jubilee weekend to those in the UK!

Until next week!
regards
African GirlChild
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: