2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

From Landy to 150 lc5 owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tisme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:38    Post subject: From Landy to 150 lc5 owner Reply with quote

Hi All
My first post so be gentle.

Today My wife and I bought a 150 LC5 after looking for a new 4x4 for over a year. I normally drive a defender 110 but today test drove a 150 and while driving the sales man asked if I wanted to take it off road. As we were close to a farm where I keep bees I said yes please and drove on to the farm. Once through the gate we put the suspension up and drove at 40 - 50 mph across the fields to where the hive are. I can honestly say it was much smother and faster than the Landy. I then drove around all the hills and bumpy bits trying to get it stuck, no chance. Back out on the road it handled so well compared to the Disco 4 we had raod tested last week that when we got back to the dealer ship we paid for it then and there. Its a shame that so many road test knock the 150 for it's handling, I think they must all expect it to be a sports car!

So any mods you think I should do once I get it?  We are planning a few weeks in morocco early next year and maybe down to Mali. I'm looking forward to driving somewhere without breaking down, but I'm going to keep the defender as its easier to wash out when its got honey or bees wax in it.

Roll on Thursday to pick it up.

Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase .... I'm sure your going to be well pleased with your choice - I certainly have been (Lc4).  Is it a brand spanking new one - that the salesman allowed you to get grubby?.... :-}

Strangely not many 120 owners appear to have upgraded here in the UK - although I am seeing many more of them on the road, and maybe in time they will dominate this forum like the 120 still does at the moment.  So at the minute you are unlikely to get many recommendations on this forum and I would suggest 'Pradopoint' Aus. for this...... its full of mods and such....
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - almost dominate, as I see there are still many more posting of other models...
tisme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look on 'Pradopoint'.
Its not brand new, its done 220miles and £10,000 cheaper!

Have you done many mod's on yours ?
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

220 miles? - well in my book thats as good as 'brand new'... a right result!  No, I have done no modifications at all (apart from an exhaust tail trim) - it does everything and a lot more than I will ever use it for!
tisme

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit I'm use to defenders so theirs a lot of mods and prep to be done. It seems wrong, just getting in it and driving to Africa.  Very Happy

First trip will be Ireland and see how it does in mud in November, then March or April Morocco. Before this, a lot more reading up on them.
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted....
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to ask about the mud flaps - which will be important over mud / gravel.  My 2009 and others up to 2012 have the soppy little mud flaps that don't do much at all.  Toyota refused to change them as it would need a new rear bumper and that was not possible because the vehicle was 'homogenised' with its current bumper (rubbish of course but a good way out of it for them!).  So does yours have the latest big mud flaps?
tisme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked it up lunch time yesterday. Mud flaps are these I'm not sure if they are bigger but look ok.
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - they are the new bigger mud flaps - so you shouldn't have too many worries there - but I have read on pradopoint that serious off roaders find these a bit inadequate as well and modify/change....

Looks like a Toyota tow bar as well?
tisme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Toyota tow bar thats a bit low!
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better a bit low than too high!  Always best to tow whatever dipping into the tow bar that the other way around.  So I understand - which seems to make sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: