4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

150 fails its first MOT - headlight adjusters seized?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 22:28    Post subject: 150 fails its first MOT - headlight adjusters seized? Reply with quote

I have been chatting on the 'Kakadu Bright Lights' thread re the 'bright lights'. Some have managed to adjust theirs - others are struggling (pradopoint Australia)

When I bought the vehicle - as a one year old - from a UK Toyota dealer (pre owned by Toyota) I noticed I was getting 'flashed' regular at night when lights on 'low beam'. Original dealer checked and said they were legal and were on the lowest adjustment anyway (suspected they had no idea how to adjust and couldn't be bothered to find out). So I put up. Since moving to the country with narrow dark lanes the flashing was almost constant - some sounding there horn as they went past.

Today at another dealership they failed it on its first MOT! (in UK once a vehicle is 3 years old - from new/date of first reg. it requires an annual roadworthy test known as an MOT here). They said the adjusters were seized/corroded/been damaged and would need to completely dismantle the whole assemblies to find out. I said this will be covered under warranty of course? ... no, not necessarily headlight adjustment/corrosion or damage is not covered. The car is not 3 years old until 15th Oct! WTF!

So - it goes in again next week ..... I got the feeling it's gonna cost hundreds - just to dismantle the lot takes hours apparently. Especially as they admitted they had never adjusted headlights on a 150 (not many of them here in the UK) and had to get a printout from Toyota to show them how - and still couldn't do it. All these extra gizmos, self levelling headlights without the little headlight adjustment wheel in the cabin are problems waiting to happen. Nightmare and just not acceptable for a vehicle costing so much :-{ I've already started my letter of complaint to Toyota/trading standards - but I suppose I will just get the same ducking and weaving like what they did when I tried to get my itsy bitsy mud flaps changed ... they refused.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 22:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tisme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just a thread that has corroded it can't be that hard to free it up.  Surely Toyota will help, if not that's a very bad warranty.
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help is not something Toyota is interested in ... its all about profits and making money, as I see it..... ducking and weaving is their speciality along with most other car dealers / manufacturers ......  Customer service is all talk but no action.
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - back to the dealers today - and two hours later allegedly fixed/adjusted - and MOT (RWC) supplied. Clearly they had not dismantled the headlights or even sprayed the adjusters with WD40 or similar. But 'gouged' plastic by the adjusters is evidence of something - which wasn't there after the last visit. Still got 'flashed' tonight on the way home by one driver - so I'm wondering if they have done it properly or whether the headlights have adjusted themselves back to their original position. Who knows? - I don't and in any event will leave as is until its next service in May when I shall ask them to double check vertical headlight height again.

Didn't charge me anything or for the MOT retest - I think they could tell I was not a 'completely satisfied customer' so backed off trying to charge. I'll be amazed if I get a customer service questionnaire .... apparently they can mark up a 'job sheet' asking questionnaire not to be sent as customer is unhinged or something similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: