All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4x4 London to South Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4X4 Africa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:50    Post subject: 4x4 London to South Africa Reply with quote

Hey There

Myself, 5 mates a Land Cruiser and a Land Rover are planning a trip from London to South Africa for November next year and was wondering if anybody knows anyone who has done this trip ?
We are originally from South Africa and have been living in the UK for 12 years now and have been talking about doing this trip for years now so figure the best thing to do is to stop talking about it get the ball rolling.

I have found a fair bit of information on this trip but nothing within the last two / three years and Northern / Mid Africa current affairs are changing all the time with regards to danger zones and no go areas etc.

Also looking for any advice on budgets and costs involved on this sort of trip, I am currently looking at a 2003 Land Cruiser Amazon with 89,000 miles on the clock, my budget for a Vehicle is around £12000 and would be looking at spending a further £2000 to get off road ready, extra fuel tank, extra spare tyres, roof racks, winch etc etc ( Second hand where possible as costs quickly rack up )

I have worked out a very basic fuel to miles ratios and it is looking like in an ideal situation the fuel would cost around £4000 per vehicle, so basically i've said to my mates if we budget each around £3500 spending money, what are your thoughts on that ?

Also what sort of time frame would you think is realistic ? We do not want to break any records and attempt doing it in 10 days etc but we also do not want to just cruise along over a few months as we all have work commitments .... Ideally we would like to do it in a Month ???

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, being South African we are aware of all the visa implications, as we need visas for just about every country in the world.

Look forward to all your comments and advice

All the Best

David France
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jet2work

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, good luck on the trip... make sure you take a good tow rope you may get into the guiness book of records  furthest tow of a dead landrover!  Laughing
Surfy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Fuelusage calculation isnt that bad  Wink

We did it at 2012/13 over the west. The situation is a bit more relaxed now, specially in mali if you stay south.

But there will be a risk anyway - not just in Mali Wink

Here is our Blog: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

We did a daily diary with pictures and show details of our route.

Where do you plan to go? East or west route?

We spent

500 USD for the ferry barcelona to morocco
1500 USD for Visas each (we got some of them as multiple entry to be able to reenter the countrys f the rainy season dont allow to cross some of the planned stuff)
300 USD for the carnet
250 USD for Food
3300 USD for shipping the car home
200 USD for officials stuff like Nationalparks, Campsites

The rest is up to you. Restaurants, Hotels, Repairs, Speed penaltys bribes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: