Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Leak on Fuel/Injector Pump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigone

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time...next time...I WILL do it myself (another 180,000 miles?). Great to know somebody else was able to do it!  Very Happy  The lesson is 'don't take it to your Toyota dealer UNTIL you have checked with the Forum'. Once it can't easily be taken back you are 'hooked'  Evil or Very Mad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 20:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

NIDIRWATCHMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
If you experience any fuel leaks from an IP it is usually due to the IP
Seals have started to shrink in size. This is a common problem with IP in cars pre 2000. This is the year that low sulphate diesel fuel started to be sold on fore courts. Post IP seals are designed to handle this low sulphate fuel a lot better.

So if you experience a leak like this which is not due to an obvious loose connecto, then there is an easy answer.

Add some  brake fluid to your fuel tank,not much about 100 ml and run the engine. The fluid will cause your Internal IP seals to expand back to their original size and seal again. Remember low sulphate fuel will shrink pre 2000 injector pump seals

You will find more examples on the MisubishI pajero owners club site.

My 93 pajero had this problem but I was amazed at how quickly the
brake fluid trick worked.
By the way I still have the pajero now at 290 000 miles with same IP and original seals. I regulary give it some brake fluid every  couple of months to prevent shrinkage.
bigone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's AMAZING!  Shocked Obviously not appreciated by many, it seems to me. In any case, if the problem re-appears it is easy to try the brake fluid solution before shelling out a small fortune - many thanks for such a novel insight. Will consider periodically lacing my fuel now....anybody any thoughts on burning a little brake fluid (eg lacquer build etc up on anything important)?
And now the obvious question.....My Nippon Denso pump was rebuilt, presumably with new seals. Is it likely that the replacement seals used for an 'old' pump design are likely to be tolerant of the change in fuel make up? Or, putting it another way, would replacement seals more likely be to the original spec (ie will shrink again)? TIA
Sumi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a leak on my 1HD-FTE fuel injection pump, but I think it's not from the TCV, but from beneath the circled bolt on the following picture:

< and here is where the picture would be if I was here for long enough:D >

Oh, how could I explain it.. On the left side, at the bottom of the pump there is a plate with a prutroding cylinder shape buldge on it. The plate is about 4cm wide, and too hex bolts are holding it in place. One bolt is at 8 o'clock, and the other is at 2 o'clock - when looking from the side of the pump. Basicly these are the only hex bolts on the side of the pump. The plate is almost at the same level as the TCV is, just left of it. The offending bolt is the left one, so the one at 8 o'clock...

Interestingly it's seems like it's not comming from under the plate (that the two bolts hold in place), but comming right at the head of the bolt.

I was thinking of removing that one bolt & applying some silicone to it & reinstall bolt. I'm just not sure that the other bolt is enough to support the plate while the problematic one is removed.

I guess removing the whole plate & replacing it's gasket in situ is not a good idea?

Cheers for any of your thoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: