Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting a double-DIN head unit to a Landcruiser 120

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwr

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:06    Post subject: Fitting a double-DIN head unit to a Landcruiser 120 Reply with quote

Hello all - after a few years with other cars I have returned to the world of Land Cruisers.  My first job with the new car (2006 LC120) was to upgrade the headunit.  The standard Toyota system looks pretty dated these days.  I decided to go crazy and buy a double-DIN unit with navigation, iPod and DAB features.  I thought it would be useful to document the process here for future reference:

• Disconnect the battery
  • Trim was removed starting with the long silver plastic parts along the transmission tunnel.  Next the two side panels containing air vents were removed (careful to unclip the cables behind these panels).  A set of spudgers (see here) were very useful for this.
  • Unclip the lower fascia panel containing the ashtray and lighter.  This pulls out easily with a bit of wiggling.
  • Unbolt the 4 retaining bolts on the upper panel and the large connector block on the lower left side.
  • Carefully pull the whole centre panel forward - don't strain the wires.
  • Disconnect the block connectors from the factory radio.
  • Unscrew the two Phillips self-tapping screws between the metal side plate and the clock / MF unit at the top of the console
  • Unscrew the 7 or 8 retaining bolts holding the factory radio to the metal cage.
  • Remove the factory radio
  • Use the bolts from the previous step to attach the fascia adapter plate to the new head unit.  For my double-DIN setup I needed this.
  • Manoeuvre the new unit into place and it should fit firmly into the space left by the old unit.
  • Pull the sides of the metal cage together to wedge the new headunit into place and replace the two self-tapping screws into the side of the clock unit.
  • Install the OEM-ISO wiring adapter - I used this one.
  • Install radio aerial and auxiliary cables (I ran an iPod cable into the glove box and the GPS aerial, DAB aerial and microphone through the driver's side of the dashboard).
  • Snap the centre console back into place - careful not to trap wires.
  • Refit the large connector block on the lower left and tighten the retaining bolt (radio won't work without this).
  • Reconnect the battery and make sure everything works.
  • Fit the console retaining bolts and snap the fascia and trim pieces back on

My only remaining problem is the windscreen-mounted DAB aerial which requires an earthing connection.  The manufacturer suggests fitting it to the window pillar, but the presence of airbags has dissuaded me from trying this.  I might just run a small earthing wire from the aerial to somewhere more convenient.

With some slightly longer bolts I could have attached the cage directly through the fascia adapters and into the side of the radio.  As it is the cage seems to hold the radio just fine without being properly bolted.  Hope this is useful to someone.  Be aware that I'm just bodging this and have no professional training - so use your common sense!

James.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nick j

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the info, what model do you have LC3,4 or 5?
jwr

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an LC4
nick j

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I have been considering doing the same but just wondered what additional cables were required for an LC3 model...
marlot

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good guide.  Thanks!
marlot

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick j wrote:
Ok thanks, I have been considering doing the same but just wondered what additional cables were required for an LC3 model...

It should be the same.  If you look on http://www.toyota-tech.eu/ (owners/accessory installation) there is a guide for fitting a full screen satnav as an upgrade for the turn by turn - and I think most of the cables are just plug in.
MrHanky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.  Just wondering if the ISO wiring adapter listed on this thread should be good for all CD / Radios in the 120?

I have taken mine out but there are a lot of spare wires that would not plug into this.

Have been into Halfords and carb electronics but they do not have anything available

Thanks for any help

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: