Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New tyres time

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos van der landcruise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:20    Post subject: New tyres time Reply with quote

Right guys and gals ,

Dunlops are knackered, they've done 70000 mls so they don't owe me anything. Thinking about bf s but concerned the 30 mpg I'm getting now, will turn into 24 mpg. So I'm swaying towards getting dunlops again. Any advice on any makes that stand out from crowd ( I do 30000 a year in my 120 so fuel consumption is important ).  Many thanks in advance.

Carl
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nick j

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,
I went for Dunlop's again as the mileage I got out of them was excellent and 99.9% of my mileage is on tarmac....
marlot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my general grabbers do lower the fuel consumption slightly (maybe 1-2 mpg).  But as I wanted the car for getting me around in bad weather, and towing the caravan including from muddy pitches, it was an easy decision.

If you're after economy, the standard tyres are probably as good as any.  Consider running them slightly harder than toyota recommends - maybe at 34psi.  This wears the tyre evenly across the tread, instead of the outside edges.
Ric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

General AT2s.  They are superb and I never noticed any mpg change on mine.  It must be very small if any.
BUT, be warned.  The General Grabbers have changed as a result of a new european regulation (yawn...), and are now rubbish.  If you want Generals, you might be lucky because one or two spots still have stock left of the proper AT2.  If it isn't an AT2, then you don't want it.  Last chance to buy some of these superb tyres if you can find them.
Failing that, BFGs.  I have them on my other car and they are also superb if a little more pricey.  I would say they effect the mpg more than the Generals, but it really isn't a big difference.
I don't rate the Dunlops at all.  I managed to destroy two of them just driving along gravel tracks around here.  And if you only ever drive on Tarmac, it rather begs the question why have a Landcruiser in the first place?  Other more economical vehicles are avilable...
Carlos van der landcruise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a surveyor\civil engineer so do need to get to sites, wind farms etc so I do need a landcruiser with element of off road. If someone would say the goodrichs will get me 30 mpg then great cos they look the business, but my head is telling me the dunlops are probably the best comprimise for me.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

The BFG AT will only get you 30 mpg on the motorway at 60 mph.
If you wanting to crack on at 70, then expect about 28.
Around town you wont get more than 26.
Towing 1700kg caravan, will give you 21, maybe 22 at best.
The BFG size I opted for, like many other people is a fraction taller.
267 x 70 x R17 as against the standard 265 x 65 x R17
They fit, and look a whole lot better, filling the wheel arch, where the Dunlops didn't.
There is no rubbing or catching, as there is still lots of space.
I run 99% of the time on tarmac, but do tow onto grassy fields, and I feel wet grass, is some times more of a *beep* to tow on than mud.
The BFG really reduce the body roll, when cornering, reducing it to a whole different level, which is better.

vette
PhilMcConnachie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm due a new set of tyres as well.

Is the larger tyre size favoured by some just a cosmetic thing or are there any other advantages?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

They serve a number of purposes in my opinion.

In no particular order,

They offer better looks.
They last far longer, generally 35,000 miles for Dunlop, > 70,000 BFG A/T
They offer better ride quality on tarmac, esp. when cornering, far less roll.
They give us caravan'ers the advantage of the grassy pitches,
Better in rain snowy conditions with the deeper tread grooves, to remove slush.
If your into some gentle green laning, then you will appreciate the additional 50% side wall layers on the BFG A/T.
By going from 265 x 65 x R17 to 256 x 70 x R17, this makes the speedo read EXACT !

The BFG cost about 50% more than a Dunlop, but in my experience, more than worth the extra cost.

vette
PhilMcConnachie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vette

In your first post you say 267 x 70 and then in that last post you say 256 x 70. I'm confused.
Glenn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:47    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

Think he means 265/70/17  Smile  Smile
Glenn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:52    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

Hmm thinking of taking my 265 70 17  General AT2s  off after 6000 miles still got 12mm tread and going back to road tyres.  70 profile makes the speedo accurate but the odometer reads low? mpg wise they cost about 3 mpg.
Ric

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you put the original size AT2s on?  They make them in 265/65/17 size.
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13    Post subject: at2 Reply with quote

Ahh because they were in stock and the right price Very Happy
fast but dim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 18:24    Post subject: Re: tyres Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Hmm thinking of taking my 265 70 17  General AT2s  off after 6000 miles still got 12mm tread and going back to road tyres.  70 profile makes the speedo accurate but the odometer reads low? mpg wise they cost about 3 mpg.

If you want to do a part ex on a decent set of dunops let me know, I've got some in the garage that I took off when i bought the 120. I've got family in Nottingham, so can a deal face to face Wink
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 20:05    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

Sorry don,t want Dunlops, to much body roll with them.  But will be open to offers in a couple of weeks for the AT2s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: