4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New 150 hard ride!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 20:53    Post subject: New 150 hard ride! Reply with quote

Gents,
I've got the car about three months ago, with a lot of joy as it is my youth dream Smile
This is my first LC so I cannot properly compare it to the previous models. Basically I'm very happy except the hard ride, specifically being sited on the back. I've been told that this model is implementing for the first time the air suspension of the 200 (rear differential only) that improves dramatically the ride. In fact the car is EXTREMELY hard riding. That's the back ground. Now the technical stuff:
Over the rear differential there are two rubber mountings that (on my car) are located about 2"above the diff. body while having the active suspension on NORMAL; getting HIGH these goes to about 3" up and going to DOWN they touch the diff.body.  Apparently, while driving in NORMAL mode there are only about 2" of headroom before them touching the diff. That makes that when the car passes over a large bump (two wheels at the time) the shock is absorbed by the two mountings in the same time that feels very, very hard inside. Is this space of 2" only normal? How about someone else's car and how about the 200 series?
Back in time a had an old Pajero and the mountings there were a cone kind so a gentle touch created a gentle absorption (smaller volume of rubber being compressed) and a harder touch created a harder resistance (exponentially increasing the volume of the compressed rubber). With the LC the mountings are cubic type so, the impact is always like 100% and it really feels brutal inside.
Questions: Is it typical or my car have problems? Is the compression in the air cylinders adjustable or its fixed? If adjustable, what it should be like?  
I'll appreciate some feedback.
Cheers
Ivo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 20:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware air suspension was an option on any Landcruiser model .... at least not here in the UK ..... maybe try the Australian forum 'pradopoint'?
ivshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the new 150 model 2014 has an air suspension on the rear diff that is taken by the 200 series. Only, the 200 is having such, both in front and in the back and the 150 is having it just in the back. In my country that comes as the top level and I have paid quite a lot for this option that for the moment ... Rolling Eyes I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow and will report shortly after. Smile
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivshi - I see what you mean! - AVS (Adaptive Vehicle Suspension) - WOW! and lots of bucks!! ...... from what I've read on other sites about these systems in the past on numerous models they have, in the past, been fraught with problems.  One would hope Toyota would have learnt from this .... but ...??? - anyway you deserve your moneys worth and I hope Mr T sorts you out ok .... keep us updated :-}
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to add.... of course, I doubt you will receive much feedback on this and a lot of other matters on the 150 on this site at the moment.  There don't seem to be many of them around here in the UK as you can see from the forum responses.... people here seem to go for other marques - rightly or wrongly... :-}
ivshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
Here is the report: went to the Dealer's shop and got the truck inspected. This is done with an lap top , plugged in while driving. It showed that all systems and sensors are running fine. However there are some specific stuffs to be noted:
-While loading the vehicle it gets down BUT it takes back the original height within 40 seconds; So seeing the truck laying down and thinking that the reduced distance between the rubber mountings and the diff will stay like this is wrong. One should wait these 40 seconds and the truck will get back to right height NO MATER the load. This compensation function is one of the features of the system;
-There are three sensors controlling the height and the pressure in the cylinders that in fact results in a harder/smoother ride. These are subject of adjustment BUT the local chaps are afraid to touch there as the car is pretty new and they have no experience. Next time I go there , I will ask them to record the actual settings and will try to play around with some different figures, so we can see how it changes the behavior of the car.

Generally speaking, my feeling is that the shock absorbers are still too tight (the car has only made some 10 000 km) so all little bumps on the road are felt inside. I think this is why the absorption of all little shakes and shocks doesn't come to the air suspension at all, because of the tight shock absorbers. I felt a clear improvement in this regard since having the car by now and I guess it will get even better.

Hope that puts some light. The main stuff is: I like the car!  Very Happy  
Cheers
Ivo
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an idea to share this on pradopoint as mentioned before ..... not likely to get much feedback here. Thanks though Ivo - if I ever do manage to upgrade maybe I'll stick with a non air suspension jobby  - until - maybe - it gets sorted at source ?
ivshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, I think I should wait a bit more. My previous car had a hard ride for almost an year than it improved dramatically. I don't believe Toyota will do such a complicated system, with all these features - automation, sensors etc. without being sure it has a positive effect far beyond the "mechanical" suspension... I will be back when having made 50 000km Smile
Cheers
Ivo
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I put up with the same type issue on my vehicle.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should add, it's at 40k mls, only notice when very bumpy road, or when going over harshly on the traffic calming measures we have in the UK, Aka sleeping policemen.

On my LC 120 I'd did adjust the settings (2 rose jointed arms on each anti tramp bar at each side connected to the chassis)

As previous message, I've just put up with it, but I'll have a look under Neath in the next few days, diff and bumps stops you mention etc.

Only other niggle at the moment, was the steering column linkage replaced under warranty, still knocks slightly, and after figment the steering wheels not true, small things but was OK before work done etc.

As Danny says, quiet forum, either not many owners, or mot many problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: