Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Norway Ovelrand Trip : Am I crazy?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andytech99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 13:40    Post subject: Norway Ovelrand Trip : Am I crazy? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Wanted some opinions from seasoned over-landers..

I'm a bit of a 4x4 novice and new owner of a 1999 Land Cruiser Colorado 3.0td..  that said, I'm having all the mechanics looked at (new timing belt, tyres, radiator, starter motor, the lot) in prep for first road trip.

The idea is, to take it in February next year via Europe to Norway, then head North and see if we can find a place to catch the Northern lights.

Awesome in principle, I've been to Norway once before briefly (by plane), and I remember the roads are quite well maintained and kept relatively clear of deep snow.. but I'm wondering;

- Am I crazy?  Is this stupid for a novice? Or am I overthinking it?
- Anyone experienced north Norway/Sweden at Feb time of year?  Is it utterly dark and covered with snow?
- Any safety tips or 'must have' items to bring?
- Any driving tips for conditions

Stuff I've already thought of (I like to be over prepared);
- BF Goodrich all terrain tyres (assume these will be ok for snow/ice)
- European sat nav (in case no cellular signal)
- New batteries
- spare fuel cans (maybe overkill in Europe)
- headlight bulbs / snow shovel / first aid kit / fire extinguisher / emergency blankets / high vis jacket / warning triangle / torch etc...

I noticed you can buy a self-drive holiday online - they give you a small hatchback, but they literally don't take bookings in winter at all, wonder why haha Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 13:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easily doable. Its not dark all day, but usually fairly gloomy, and always cold. Millions of people live here, and its no different to anywhere else. Get up, go to work, supermarket, walk the dogs etc. The roads are good, you just need good tyres with the snowflake/mountain symbol, and take it easy as BFG all terrains arent the best for winter.
andytech99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
Its easily doable. Its not dark all day, but usually fairly gloomy, and always cold. Millions of people live here, and its no different to anywhere else. Get up, go to work, supermarket, walk the dogs etc. The roads are good, you just need good tyres with the snowflake/mountain symbol, and take it easy as BFG all terrains arent the best for winter.

Thanks for the reply!  I figured I was probably over thinking it..  Wanted to play it safe considering it's first road-trip of its kind for me.

We've made a plan to drive to Tromso, it's mostly main roads so should be fine - but we might take the car off the main roads if we feel confident at the time.  If you have any recommendations let me know! Smile

Ah I would have gone for different tyres if I'd realised, I was trying to cover all bases with the BF Goodrichs
cnsats

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

we are planning exactly the same trip for the following year.

We plan to spend at least 3/4 weeks to cover Norway, Sweden, Finland and maybe Russia (depending on how brave we are feeling at the time LOL).

Good luck with your trip and let us know if there is anything you find that we should know about please.

Regards

Chris

2004 4.2 Land Cruiser Amazon in Black.
andytech99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

Our trip is only going to be 7-10 days, a lot of driving in that time!   But yes I'll deffo report back here in March and let you know Smile

Ta!
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Apologies for the massive reply.

Did something similar only in December and with a Trooper (94 3.1) and to Finnish Lapland rather than Northern Norway and with my wife and 4 kids in the truck too.  In addition to that, I did a road trip to Ivalo in Finland in Feb a few years ago with my daughters and have just come back from a road trip in Sweden/Norway with a Svalbard trip thrown in for good measure (both of those were normal road cars).

You're not crazy at all, amazing trip and if you're lucky enough to catch the aurora it'll make all that driving well worth it!
My advice would be.

If your goal is to see the NL, think about Sweden/Finland instead of Norway.  Tromso is right in the auroral belt, but the weather there is a bit less predictable than over the mountains.  Abisko in Sweden or Kilpisjarvi in Finland (where we went) are both excellent locations where the landscape reduces the likelihood of cloud cover, which will be your enemy when aurora hunting.  Both are just over the border from Norway though, and an awesome drive over the mountains.

As for the truck...

AT tyres aren't anywhere near as good on snow/ice as you'd think, unless you get ones with really good siping.  I found that out on black ice in Sweden on the way up and they were BFG ATs, and I would take proper friction tyres over ATs any day for proper grip on the hard compact snow and ice you'll get up there at that time of year.

The goodyear wrangler duratracs look like they've got a good balance of mud grip with the winter friction pattern, might be worth a look?

Next, make 100% sure your heater is working at full efficiency.  -35 is no joke if you have heater problems, and even with one working, expect the rear windows to be frozen up and your engine to be running cold a lot.

Make 100% sure you've got decent cold weather clothing and enough kit in the car to survive if you come off the road and can't keep the engine going for warmth.  Not so sure on northern Norway, but there are plenty of places up in Swedish/Finnish lapland where you have largeish distances between settlements and might not see another car for some time.
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought long and hard about a sat phone, but up there the cell signal is much better than it is in a lot of places back in the UK, so unless you're thinking of going well off the beaten track, a satnav and mobile should do fine.

As for spare fuel cans, not much of a worry, just make sure you fill up whenever you see a fuel station and you'll be fine.  Also, another option tyres-wise might be to rent some proper winter tyres when you get further north and return them on your way back?

Weather wise, expect lots of snow but the roads are well looked after.  You’re not going far enough north for polar night to come into effect at that time of year, so the best you can expect is the sun to be low in the sky for a few hours around lunch time.  But the polar night is incredibly beautiful anyway, so I’d seek it out rather than be put off by it.

Fill your wiper bottle up in the UK, but don’t take spare with you, the stuff over here and even in southern Scandinavia is useless when the temp really drops, so I’d use what you have on the way over and then buy low temp stuff when you’re getting up north.

If you’re going anywhere remote, small villages etc then its fine to leave your engine running when you go in a shop or whatever.  If you get your engine up to temp, you’ll be amazed how quick it will drop when it’s shut off.  5 mins will be enough at -30 to completely cool it down again and it’ll take miles to get back up.

Can’t think of much else, other than have fun!  It is an amazing trip to an amazing place at an amazing time of year, and I’m already planning the winter drive to Murmansk before I’ve bought the landcruiser I’m going to do it in Wink
andytech99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips/info guys!  very helpful.

In terms of safety first..  I've prepared warm clothing, emergency blankets, first aid kit, snow shovel, tow rope, torch, etc..

Unfortunately the first thing I did recently was to fit BFG all terrain tyres, so they're brand new - so doubtful I'll replace with anything winter specific..  this is because I bought the truck for adventuring in general, rather than specifically for ice and snow..  Figured the ATs would be a good 'overall'

I was thinking about packing some snow chains, but to be honest..  if things get bad I might just pull over and let some air out..  I might be naive here but I keep hearing the roads are well maintained... The BFG ATs are snow/winter legal, so I'm hoping they'll be 'good enough', I'm not looking to blast it down the highway with 100% traction - the speed limit in Norway is only 50mph anyway

I'll no doubt update my progress on the forums here when I return!
andytech99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the truck I'll be doing it in (if pictures work!)

So far I've;

- Replaced all belts
- Replaced radiator
- Replaced batteries
- Replaced glow plugs
- Replaced pads/discs all round
- new BFG AT tyres
- Full service & engine flush
- Replace most fluids
- Tinted rear windows
- Added a touchscreen bluetooth head unit
- Replace interior / license plate / side bulbs with LED
- Euro plates
- Bosche wiper blades

Still to do;
- Refurb wheels
- Replace interior speakers
- Fix towbar electrical issue
- Under car Waxoyl treatment

So far I've only done 500 miles since all this was done, which has been flawless..  sounds a bit rough and 'tractory' when cold, but based off of what I've seen/heard of other cars that's just what the 1kzte sounds like

I'd love to add some more exterior mods like roof rack / jerry cans / spotlights / bars etc... but to be honest, I can't justify it practically Smile  it would just look cool.. so probably skip that stuff..

Ta
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven to the North Cape on 2 occasions, both in Summer but I have sailed on the Hurtigruten twice to Kirkeness at Christmas. Temperatures, once you get away from the Gulf Stream plummet to, in our case, -50 centigrade. The inside of your nose instantly freezes! To last more than 45 minutes outside at these temperatures requires serious clothing. At midday it will be gloomy but acceptable. The lack of sun has a profound effect on the locals and they get as gloomy as the sky. Many locals have a separate set of studded tyres and it is obligatory for coaches, buses and taxis to be so equipped. I have seen the Northern Lights at Christmas but the best time is supposed to be March.

Most drivers are tolerant but there are a few loonies. It is a magical land and well worth the trip.

Roger
jamie850

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truck looks good after all that work and should give you plenty of worry free motoring.
cnsats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54    Post subject: Norway trip Reply with quote

Hi Andy

The car looks good.

Have you decided how you are getting to Norway yet?

Thanks

Chris

andytech99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Leaving for Norway 2 weeks today.

We're taking the last Eurotunnel on Thursday night (25th) and driving all night through Europe to Denmark to avoid traffic, about 750 miles with 4 of us taking turns.  Then we're staying the following night in Denmark and driving through Sweden and up the West coast of Norway to Tromso.

The plan is to stop and sleep each night and aim for about 300-500 miles per day, then spend a few days in Tromso recovering and check out Northern lights (weather permitting) - before coming back down the East coast of Sweden and eventually back the way we came through Denmark.

Total trip 5-5500 miles estimated Smile

Truck is finally ready, had it inspected by the guys over at Surrey Offroad, who thought it was in good condition but spotted the rear heater pipes had just started leaking from corrosion, so got those replaced and finally ready to go!

Also packed emergency supplies, fire extinguisher, first aid, water, snow shovel, you name it!

Here she is;

cnsats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy

How did your Norway trip go?

How did your LC cope with the snow?

Regards

Chris

andytech99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

It coped pretty well!  The all terrains are OK in the snow, but locals were racing past me in almost every type of car with winter tyres..  BFG all terrains coped, but we had to keep the speed down to prevent powersliding around every corner.

More info on the trip here;

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=98112#98112

and some nice timelapse footage from 2:26 here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZDDR3gYAI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: