2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Brake Backing Plates / Guards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 23:04    Post subject: Rear Brake Backing Plates / Guards Reply with quote

I need to replace the rear brake backing plates on my 90 series Colorado Swb, are these awkward to remove? I have had the discs and drums/shoes off before but havn't stripped beyond that far before. Do the backing plates just bolt off or will there be removal of other bits and bearings involved to get to the plates as well?

The reason I've to replace them, or mainly the drivers side rear one is because the shoes retaining pin hole has rusted and enlarged and the pin has too much excess play and isn't holding the shoes properly giving me a *beep* handbrake. More handbrake woes... Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 23:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:04    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Backing Plates / Guards Reply with quote

I'm afraid its not a straightforward job  Crying or Very sad.

There are four bolts that hold the dust shield/brake caliper anchor plate and the axle bearing retainer together.

You have to remove the bolts and then draw the half shaft before the dust shield/brake anchor can be replaced.

I have done them on my '100' and it wasn't fun. The ABS Rotor and retaining collar have to be drawn off, then the wheel bearing & spacer before the bearing retainer, dust shield/brake anchor can be removed from the half shaft. This requires some 'very large' tools.

On the '100', the dust shields/brake anchor were £460 EACH  Shocked.

Looking on toyoDIY.com, I'm afraid those for the '90' appear to cost around £460 each as well.

Once the pain has subsided, its comforting to know that the handbrake mechanism is sound (if that's any consolation).

Sorry  Rolling Eyes.

Bob.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Bob, wasn't expecting them, appreciate that Smile I thought I did read something before, that it was a bit more involved than just bolting off and on the dust shield itself, but I didn't think it'd be that much work. I don't mind getting stuck in and doing it, I've a 30 tonne press but the thing I don't like is having to mess with bearings that don't need replacing. Its a shame to have to renew the bearings when they aren't knackered. I think I'll try and weld up my existing back plate to hold the shoe retaining pin first before resorting to pulling the bearings apart.

Are the dust shield and brake anchor plate all the 1 unit? Even so, £460 seems a ridiculous price for a light dust shield and a bit of a plate connected to it? Or am I missing something here? Is there more to this part than I realise, I just don't see how it can cost that?
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterCruiser wrote:
Are the dust shield and brake anchor plate all the 1 unit? Even so, £460 seems a ridiculous price for a light dust shield and a bit of a plate connected to it? Or am I missing something here? Is there more to this part than I realise, I just don't see how it can cost that?

The wheel bearing is a double-row sealed, cylindrical bearing - it doesn't need to be renewed if its OK (I just changed mine as a precaution, but it wasn't really necessary).

The Dust Shield and Brake Anchor are one unit, the ridiculous cost is just normal for Toyota I'm afraid, but you might get them cheaper from Amayama (spelling ?). I've read that delivery (from Japan) can take a while.

You will need to change the inner oil seals as a precaution and you have to be careful about the positioning of the ABS Rotor and Lock Ring (that the oil seal runs on). If you look at my last picture above you can see that I have pushed the two of them too close to the bearing retainer and I had to re-position them. The ABS ring pulled back OK but the lock rings had stretched and I had to renew them  Embarassed.

I took the ABS Sensor out of the axle case and positioned the ABS Rotor so that it was centered on the hole when the half shaft was test-fitted.

The oil seal goes inside the axle case:

Bob.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Amayama, I've only used them once but it was a very happy experience.  The part I ordered (a steering rack tensioner) was about £117 from Toyota in the UK and I paid £27 including postage from Japan (genuine Toyota part).  It took only four days or so to arrive.  You do have to register and send out an enquiry first but that all took only a day or two.  The website tells you how long it will take to get shipped before you order.  I think considerable savings are possible - e.g. I'm not sure how much a transfer box chain is from Toyota in the UK, but I bet £250ish via Amayama is pretty competitive... Well worth a look if your backing plates aren't urgent (and how long would your Toyota dealer take to get them anyway Question )
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I had a look for the brake plate in Bob's photo above (part no 46504-60060).  Amayama quotes 157.09 and 6 days shipping time from the UAE Exclamation
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
Out of curiosity I had a look for the brake plate in Bob's photo above (part no 46504-60060).

For the avoidance of doubt . . . That backing plate is for a '100-Series'  Wink (just in case they are different).

Amayama sounds like a good place to visit. I get my stuff from Simon Holton at Steven Eagell Toyota - Simon gives a discount to Club Members but its usually around 10% on the expensive stuff (more on the small, cheap things).

Bob.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to rebuild transfer boxes a bit cheaper if you use Amayama, Bob!  Laughing
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. That's a jokey suggestion, not a dig! (I know things can come across wrong when typing  Embarassed ).  Besides, I imagine it would be a bit of a pain to have to wait for lots of different components to come in dribs and drabs from all over the world potentially.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
P.s. That's a jokey suggestion, not a dig!

Don't worry, I got the joke  Wink.

I must give Amayama a try one day (may need a complete O/S inner sill for the '90' soon, I'm in the process of replacing the N/S one at the moment  Rolling Eyes).

Bob.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob - You hardly still have them pictures do you, they aren't showing up anymore (for me anyway). I might have to go down the road of replacing these once and for all.

I priced the rear back plates @ £320 €350 off roughtrax which are genuine toyota parts. Seem a fortune for a basic part. Anyone aware of spurious ones that are of the correct and identical spec and not half *beep* fitting ones.

I think the part numbers are:
46504-60051 left side
46503-60091 Right side

I checked the Amayama japan site too; it seems to list two prices for 1 of the guards @ €106 and €273 + €44 delivery to Ireland.
It just lists €273 for the other side.
Not sure if I'm taking that up correct or not.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have all the pictures (far more than I posted here).

If you PM me an e-mail address I'll sort some out.

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to a Photo-Hosting site anymore (must look into it again, I'm feeling a bit guilty at deleting all the Photobucket stuff).

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: