Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colarado Safety Recall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23    Post subject: Colarado Safety Recall Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have had a recall notice from Toyota,for my  97 Colorado  
quote" it has come to our attention that on certain land Cruiser Colarado models there is a possibility that the rear axle shaft may become damaged under certain driving conditions, which in the most severe case could cause the rear wheels to come loose"
..... they want to fit "modified rear axle shafts"
any one got any further info on this recall?
I am a bit concerned as the last time I had some parts replaced in the drive chain of a vehicle, it became noisy, I was told it was caused by the new gear not being "bedded in" to the existing, any one experenced problems with this in a Land cruiser?
on the other hand I have no wish to see one of my rear wheels overtaking me on the motorway!!!!!!
Jimbo.....
if you have a Colarado and have not had a notification might be worth checking,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tony Readman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 98 Colorado was recalled and subsequently went in to Benfields in Leeds.  It took them 2 days to change the shafts because of a siezed handbrake component.  They loaned me a car (non 4×4) & returned it next day, cleaned & vacuumed, £15 of fuel and a bottle of Champagne.
Car seems exactly as before, as I would expect.  I say best to get it done
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,has reasured me a bit, have booked the LC for the work to be done,
mind you  I got the feeling that the response was a bit "icy" when I replied that my vehicle was not normally serviced by the Toyota dealer! and was not bought from one either!
will let you know how I get on, like the idea of the champers, like the idea of the fuel even more!! but I wont be holding my breath!!!

jim
Tonka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be of interest
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1058

cheers
ek  8)
dez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just senty my 98 into rowleys of st albans for the recall.
Yes i got a shiney car and a bottle of champagne
But not ive got a puddle of diesel from the tank under the car...
Back i go again i guess
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the Land Cruiser done, took two day's, had to take it back as brakes felt spongy, and pedal went to the floor, they re bled the brakes, and tested, seems ok now, no cleaning done,  no £15 of fuel, and no champagne, anyone know if this was a Toyota "sweetner" or at the dealers discretion, if its Toyota I want to know who snatched my goodies? Crying or Very sad

Jim
dez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure the champagne comes from toyota not the dealer. I remember a with compliments Toyota slip on it.

By the way,,, to the guy who is trying to decide whether to take it for the recall or not... I would suggest NOT...!!
Unless its as very reputable dealer.

When mine came back It immedately started leaking diesel from directly under the rear axle (where the work occurred)

Guess what, they are denying its any thing they did...Im in for a big argument over the bill when i return next week to get them to fit the leaky pipe.

Does any body else think its a bit much of a coincidence that it develops a leak immediately upon returning from the recall... and the leak is RIGHT under the rear axle where they apparently had so much trouble conducting the recall work?

Not sure how to approach them next week ... with a  Twisted Evil fist was my first thought but i guess that wont get the job done
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the Chap who made the original enquiry, I did seek advise and the garage that services the LC (not a Toyota agent) advised me to get it done,(at the Toyota agent), if I ignored the recall ,(letter was recorded delivery) and subsequently had an accident related to the recall, I could end up having problems with any insurance claim,
Indeed it would be a remarkable coincidence regarding the fuel pipe damage, maybe mention of an independant inspection of the vehicle, AA, RAC,? and resultant possible court action aided by your insurance claims/legal assistance?
not a member, no legal assistance?? they are not to know!!! devious is as devious get's !!!(just hope the garage doesnt check out this forum!!  oop's)
by the way my LC seems to be fine Brakes have settled down to their original efficency, had a look underneath and all looks in good order,
but who ad me Champers??? grrrr, will contact Toyota, never know might get two bottles!!  Very Happy cheers "Hic!!"
watch this space!!!!

Jim....
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a thought, if you have a Camera, take a few shots of the offending pipe and surrounding area, prior to any repair,
means scrambling around underneath but might be worth recording the original damage!

Jim
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

RESULT!!!!!  Picked up my bottle of champers today, and the fuel, Dealer said they didnt have any in stock at the time!!! who are they kidding!!  and I suppose the local filling station had run out of fuel as well,
hope Toyota Head office gave them a rap on the knuckles or a kick up the b*m over it!!
anyway thanks to the information on this forum, I shall now be able to drink to your very good health,....Cheers

JIM,

dez, how did you get on with your leak?
dez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cut a long story short, they would not admit they caused the problem, they finally diagnosed some damaged pipes after another 2 visits & ordered 2 parts.
They then tried to charge me £260 to fit. I tried to compromise, they refused, I summons them to small claims court, they compromised, I paid £130.
Not a great outcome from my perspective, but i really didnt want to go trapsing though a court for a point of principle even though they deserve to be taken to court.

Lesson learned, you wont get me back in that dealership again.

Dez
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the ideal outcome I would agree, but difficult to be certain of the outcome if it went to court, plus the stress and inconvenience,
they have lost a customer, and if you spread the word they might lose a few more!!!,
I find a reputation for Honesty, quality work, and reliability goes a long way these days, keeps my customers happy,

By the way, I had a call from Toyota HQ to check if the dealer had contacted me,(regarding the complimentary goodies) and to check that everything was to my satisfaction,   now thats more like it!!

Jim..
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my local dealer kept my goodies from Toyota? I never got any booze or fuel  Confused
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would appear so,
I sent a letter to Toyota Head office,(address on web site) just a short note, not complaining, just enquiring, included the reg number and dates etc, for the sake of a few mins and the cost of a stamp, go for it!!

Jim.

just for interest,folk's  do I detect a "north south divide" here?, It would appear that the dealers in the North are being more honest ?,
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm in a bad mood Monday (dam good chance  Very Happy ) I will phone the dealer and ask them where my free Booze and Diesel is, it will be funny if nothing else  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: